Topic: Canadian Teams: Border Question(s)

Just a question I want to throw out to the Canadian teams on here.

I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever had any trouble crossing the border with a Lemons car?

I can't really forsee anything going wrong (barring a lot of raised eyebrows).

Re: Canadian Teams: Border Question(s)

The only issue I've ever had was ownership of the race car. Best bet is to get an "unfit" ownership and be ready to produce it on demand. If you have a lot of gear, an itemized list always goes over well, mainly the big stuff like gen sets, compressors etc. And a passport is now necessary for entry into the US, so if you're coming up here, bring it so you can get home! Some rental company equipment can't cross the border either. Biggest problem I find is getting used to miles and gallons instead of kilometers and litres...but your beer is very much improved. I first went to the US in 1977 and it was Shlitz, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Budweiser and Michelob, I think. It was a dark time...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

3 (edited by bongle 2010-01-28 05:16 PM)

In 2008 coming back from Toledo we had some issues with our spare engine.  The border guards thought we had bought some high-spec racing engine while we were in the states, and didn't believe it was a junkyard spare.  Same for our generator.  Declare all your expensive stuff (or stuff that they might think is expensive) when you go into the states so you don't have trouble coming back home.

In 2009 we had two cars go to Ohio and back with no problems that I heard of.  Both years we have had absolutely no problems going into the states.  We always bring a printout of the race description from the Lemons home page, and that convinces the guards.  The US border guards usually seem interested in what we're doing.  In 2008 it seemed like the guy was going to invite himself along.

Of course, you don't _really_ have to cross the border: If you're in eastern Canada, ChumpCar has a race at Shannonville in late May.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

From what i have seen you can just put anything on the Patrick Swayze train and cruise it right across the border. If bubbles can do it why cant we?

P.S. only the guys from Canada will get this one.

Pendejo

Yeah, a TPB theme would be cool, but few non-Canadians would get it...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....