Topic: Roll Cage kits from S&W Race Cars

Has anyone used S&W for a roll cage kit based off your own measurements? I'm going back and forth on custom bending a whole cage or ordering a kit to get most of the hard stuff done. Right now I'm leaning towards the S&W 1.75" DOM Lemons kit, and then doing my own door bars and adding some extra things like forward to firewall bars, rear down diagonal, roof bar, etc.

Just looking to see if anyone has used the S&W custom kit and any comments on how it came out.

http://www.swracecars.com/store/Lemons- … 3-627.aspx

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: Roll Cage kits from S&W Race Cars

Out of curiosity, why not one of the two "established" Lemons cage folks...Rhodes and Roll Cage components?

OnkelUdo wrote:

Out of curiosity, why not one of the two "established" Lemons cage folks...Rhodes and Roll Cage components?

Honestly, I was not familiar with Rhodes.

I ordered a kit from Roll Cage Components earlier this year, for a different car. And while it looks good (I haven't assembled it yet), it was missing some parts. Like the passenger door bars, and the main hoop lower horizontal, and one other. And I have gotten zero response from them on the matter in 4 months. Makes me slightly hesitant to use them again.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I used S&W for my cage in the Pentastar Dusturd, and my buddy used S&W for his Focus.

Be wary, it's definitely not a plug and play solution. When ordering their Lemons kit, give them your own custom dimensions instead of buying an off-the-shelf system. This will give you all the bars you need to make a safe and legal Lemons cage. Make sure you get those dimensions measured correctly though. They will bend the bars EXACTLY how you specify them, regardless of how badly you might have screwed your measurements up. They will provide you with a worksheet that you fill out before ordering.

With the kit, none of the bars are notched and all the door pieces are straight. The only pre-bent pieces you get are the main hoop, halo loop and A-pillar bars.  Everything else is straight un-notched tubing.  With that said, this kit is a bargain. Trying to source raw tubing locally would cost me MORE money that what the S&W kit is, even after shipping (additional ~$100). 

For the door bars, you can use a Harbor Freight / Conduit bender if you keep the bends less than ~30° and tightly pack the tubes with sand first. 

I would have no qualms about buying another kit from S&W again.  Just be sure to give yourself plenty of lead time. Waiting 4 weeks for your cage is not unheard of.

The Pentastar whisperer

TheEngineer wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

I ordered a kit from Roll Cage Components earlier this year, for a different car. And while it looks good (I haven't assembled it yet), it was missing some parts. Like the passenger door bars, and the main hoop lower horizontal, and one other. And I have gotten zero response from them on the matter in 4 months. Makes me slightly hesitant to use them again.

That really surprises me. They were very responsive to any calls I made.
Did you order an extra bar for the main hoop lower horizontal because that's not a required bar so it wouldn't be included in the kit. Passenger bars on the other hand are definitely part of the kit.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat

Consider buying your own bender. i can help you with Where and How Much to bend each tube if you send me measurements.

Surf your local CL for "Tube Bender" and "Tubing Bender". You'd be surprised what you can find. Sell extra dies that you won't use to recoup some $

Besides my welder, it's the best investment I've made.

Example:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/t … 01548.html

Manual tubing bender with (3) dies 2", 11/2 and 1 inch as shown in pictures comes with stand perfect for roll cages etc.

https://images.craigslist.org/00W0W_3MtqdnmtvVA_600x450.jpg
https://images.craigslist.org/00707_igJiwhLG0Nr_600x450.jpg

we used them for our merkur.   We brought them the car to measure because we didnt trust ourselves not to screw it up (and it was relatively local).  all the bends were good, and the cage had more than the basic requirements included.   However, every single bar needed to be cut or adjusted to fit properly.  Overall, we were happy with it.

The Roto-Racer '89 Merkur:  If it ain't rusting, It ain't racing.

'14 Real Hoopties of NJ: Judges Choice

cabinboy wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

That really surprises me. They were very responsive to any calls I made.
Did you order an extra bar for the main hoop lower horizontal because that's not a required bar so it wouldn't be included in the kit. Passenger bars on the other hand are definitely part of the kit.

I will call him again. I've sent emails and left a voicemail or two. I did not order a Lemons kit, I ordered a vehicle specific kit that came with more than the Lemons required parts. The packing slip listed items as included that were not in the box. Mainly those passenger door bars, the main hoop lower horizontal, and at least one other bar i'm not remembering right now.

Spank wrote:

Consider buying your own bender. i can help you with Where and How Much to bend each tube if you send me measurements.

Surf your local CL for "Tube Bender" and "Tubing Bender". You'd be surprised what you can find. Sell extra dies that you won't use to recoup some $

Besides my welder, it's the best investment I've made.

Three Pedal has kindly said I can borrow their bender. Having never  bent a cage I was just thinking that it might make more sense to have someone bend the main hoop, A-Pillar Bars, and Halo, and then we can bend up better door bars, a better fitting dash bar, roof bar, etc.

I'm not expecting this kit to be perfect. I expect to have to trim and notch, but at least it reduces some time that I'd otherwise have to devote.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

S&W did the bars for both cages in the Fox (the first was ERW it was replaced with a DOM cage), both cages were "a good start" and likely for our new car we will use them again, however you are going to want/need to add more bends on the door bars for egress, some stuff won't fit perfectly tight etc.  If you give them measurements they are a perfectly good shop (I went there in person once, its a real nice operation). 

I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

If you've never built a rollcage before this is a good series to watch: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … FtXMIrpjuz

erich wrote:

If you've never built a rollcage before this is a good series to watch: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P … FtXMIrpjuz

I've actually watched that whole series, he does a good job laying it all out.

I'm sure I can build the whole thing, it was more just considering if it was worth the time savings. About every 12 hours I bounce back and forth between doing the whole thing myself, and paying for the basic kit.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

We bought a Roll Cage Components kit.  I had him make a change to his basic kit.  Two bars were off, but he sent them to me immediately.  I would never try to bend a cage after using his.  Simple install.  Required fitting was minimal.

Organizer's Choice Award 2011 Heaps in Heart of Texas
IOE 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
2014 ECR Class C WIN;  2015 MSR Class B WIN
Speedy Monzales

We are using an S&W kit for the upcoming CMP race. Our team ended up discussing dimensions for our car (190E) with their engineer and got pretty much exactly what we needed. They notched some bars we didn't want notched and they sent us two replacement bars for free. Also, if you ask they can cut and mail you gussets. We got a full set for our cage for around $25.
Given how sketchy our measuring technique was, I'm honestly surprised at how well their cage fits without modification.

Giubo Grabbers #190 - 91 Mercedes 190E
2016 CMP Fall South "Heroic Fix" Winner

I also had a cage delivered by Rollcage Components. Delivery took longer than expected by my cage guy was impressed with the quality and the amount of time it saved him. They weren't great about returning calls and it did take a bit longer, but I wasn't in a hurry at the time.

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

We ordered an off the shelf S&W kit for our Volvo and added the NASCAR door bars. We have been very happy with the stuff the sent us.

Swedish Mafia Racing
Volvo, Drive it like you hate it.

I used Rhodes for the cage for my Mustang.  The kit was was not notched but I was fortunate that I had a very good welder.  We had to move the main hoop back due to the uneven floor.  Otherwise the kit fit well and didn't have a lot of waste.   All bars included. The guy from Rhodes was very responsive to calls when we had questions.   In fact, in tech the first time, they told me that since my cage was so well done that they wouldn't bust my balls on some of the little details.  Nothing that was a safety issue just - "do it better for next race".

Winner, Class C (The Ugly) #40 Mock Grass Racing (1998 Kia Sephia, Columbia SC)
#55 The Four Lemigos. aka #56 Run Fordest Run -  1995 Mustang (Owner, operator, financer, sucker - self inflicted)

Not sure how they are now but for my first Lemons car that i built I ordered a S&W cage. It failed tech because the the front bars coming down from the halo they bent back towards the firewall. They should have stayed straight and ended right there at the kick panel. I had to add another bar at the bend at the track.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

All of our cages were built by Jim at RCC including the one in our e12 that he coached us thru taking the measurements over speakerphone. He tends to get super busy but has always been very good to us.  He stopped by the race at Summit Point on year and checked in on us.  I don't think we really save all that much buying straight tubing vs a pre-bent cage.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons