Topic: Lemons Assigned Radio Frequencies

At Thompson we struggled to find a radio frequency that wasn't being used constantly by other teams (and we couldn't change frequency once the green flag dropped).  We had ctcc enabled, which meant that most of the time youd just hear *chrhc* *chrhchcrch* all the time, except on one radio in the pits that was constant chatter.

I wanted to float the idea of having Lemons assign legal radio frequencies to teams to get both the best spread with the least amount of teams on the same channel, while simultaneously making sure everyone is using legal frequencies.

I envision it being a check box at signup.  Are you camping? yes.  Are you renting a transponder?  yes.  Does your team use radio communications? yes.

You'd get your frequency when you pick your packet up, and get crossed off the list.  Takes a lot of guesswork out of the scenario.  What do you think?

Re: Lemons Assigned Radio Frequencies

My guess is that it's one more thing for the Lemons crew to deal with that they don't have time for.  And I'm pretty sure that Jay doesn't care whether or not you're cross talking with other teams.

I do think it would be a great idea to coordinate this kind of thing.  We gave up on CB because it didn't have enough range to communicate all the way around the track, and it was impossible to find a channel of our own.  But I think if it's going to happen, then somebody other than the Lemons crew is going to have to figure it out.

bs

At some races we have a spotter and have been told by other teams who were on our channel that it was most appreciated.

Something formal, such as a signup sheet, will be difficult, especially in then big races. How about a radio check right after Saturday's driver's meeting, before cars head out on track? Everyone pick a channel, do a dozen radio checks over a 15 minute period, and if no one responds on your channel, it is yours.

Mike

Some races are so crowded that nothing will stop the cross talk and chatter.  Having peaked behind the curtain, Lemons staff is pretty thin for how big these races are - the odds of them adding yet more crap to organize and police is zero.  Self-policing is the only real option.  We do the Saturday morning radio check frenzy thing all morning too.  Doesn't do a thing when 5 teams turn their radios on right before the flag drops.  Too late then.

I do wish that everyone would stop using privacy settings.  All it does is ensure that you can't hear the other people on the channel.  Can't effectively share a channel if most of the people on it can't hear each other.  One of the Barber races we ended up on the same channel as two other teams who could actually hear us.  Figured out who they were during the first few hours and started sharing information for the rest of the race.

I do kinda feel bad for low power consumer radios who end up on our GMRS channels.  We are licensed for high watt broadcast and use it.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

Although I do understand that the staff is thin and have a lot to do, even a simple sign up sheet and clipboard at the reg table would be enough.  Just a clipboard with a list of frequencies that you can write in your car number next to would get the job done, like probably a million times more effectively than trying to coordinate a paddock-wide radio check.

That way you don't end up accidentally choosing that frequency that unluckily for you 12 other teams are on suddenly when the green drops and you can't change it on the fly.   

Hell, I can even print something off myself and drop it at the table at NHMS if I get an OK from the higherups and we come up with a frequency list.  It's just such a bummer to get a radio setup working, buy the mics, rig the helmets, run the wires and PTT button, and not be able to use them.  We just turned them off for day 2 at Thompson.

NOW, if the actual list of 'legal' radio frequencies gets complicated (what, there's 5 MURS and 14 FRS frequencies, with an additional 23 GMRS gray area license frequencies?) That I can totally understand, as some of this makes my head spin a little.

6 (edited by billybobster 2016-08-23 01:41 PM)

cbq_tailspin wrote:

NOW, if the actual list of 'legal' radio frequencies gets complicated (what, there's 5 MURS and 14 FRS frequencies, with an additional 23 GMRS gray area license frequencies?) That I can totally understand, as some of this makes my head spin a little.

There are 23 GMRS frequencies, but 14 of those are shared with FRS.

I agree with the other posters that the Lemons staff has enough to do already. Maybe a signup sheet or whiteboard. But it can probably only be for the MURS and FRS frequencies, since I doubt that many of the teams using GMRS have licenses (although the FCC really doesn't care one little bit). But it's important to have Lemons not have the appearance of supporting illegality (is insanity illegal?).

As to using the CTCSS, we turn it on. We don't want to know what the other teams are saying. We get confused enough with our own conversations.

One plea from me - it would help everyone to keep conversations short. It looks to me from watching the green "channel busy" light come on our radios that some teams are being very verbose. Apparently discussing the latest Justin-Selena relationship news at length.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

True that.  We yelped out our team name as fast as we could then kept chatter to a min to avoid getting cut off and having to repeat.  Also on the radio in the paddock, we were getting a lot of chatter from teams that was hard to decipher from our own.  What!?  Youre on the hook?  Shit we're ready.  Engine?  Drivetrain?  (ended up being another team, false alarm).  That happened a lot, that's when we started using callsigns for car to pit comms.

And I agree that under no circumstance should Lemons promote using illegal frequencies, however unenforced they may be.  Maybe what we need is someone with a tinfoil hat rolling around the paddock on a minibike asking teams for their frequency and advising changes, or like you said, a giant whiteboard somewhere.

One problem many teams have is that they don't know their frequencies.
Outfits like Sampson send you the radios pre-programmed but don't tell you what the frequencies or privacy codes are.
I had to buy the special adapter and software to find out what they were.   Some were GMRS, but others were completely unknown.   I still don't know how they picked those frequencies.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

9 (edited by peridotracing 2016-08-23 05:26 PM)

It would be ridiculously easy to post intended ferquencies right before the race on this forum under Lemons tech. Start one thread for each race.  Check the thread the night before the race. You could not enforce it's use but if you got 50% adoption then that is 50% more than what you have now.

it could be as simple as car numbers. drop down list of available. pick and choose.
some find numbers are hard, some will be using wrong frequency. but hey, most will be ok.

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

kakarot1232001 wrote:

it could be as simple as car numbers. drop down list of available. pick and choose.
some find numbers are hard, some will be using wrong frequency. but hey,a few might get it right.

FTFY

I don't think there are enough channels to go around, so we just assume we are going to hear other race related stuff. We always think we found a channel that's some what clear, then the green drops and you hear 10 people screaming GREEN GREEN GREEN! What NEEDS to stop are people in the pits using the frequencies during the race asking where the ice chest is or kids being allowed to play on them. Use your cell phone!!!!!!!!!!!

cbq_tailspin wrote:

Although I do understand that the staff is thin and have a lot to do, even a simple sign up sheet and clipboard at the reg table would be enough.  Just a clipboard with a list of frequencies that you can write in your car number next to would get the job done, like probably a million times more effectively than trying to coordinate a paddock-wide radio check.

<snip>

So send an email to Nick at HQ.  We can discuss endlessly here, but if you want HQ to help out in some manner, then you need to touch base with them.

bs

What kind of sadio are you using?  There are lots of frequencies available on UHF radios.  Find out which frequencies you are using, and get them changed to a different set of frequencies.

If you've got a scanner you can take a survey of frequencies in use and tell your radio tech to avoid them.

Maximum Leader, Ruler for Life,
Dirty Rotten Cheating Bastards Racing

Most people have zero idea how the radios work, let alone frequencies, privacy codes, and bands. Once you realize you have a cross section that ranges from full on HAM licensed hobbiests to people who literally bought their first bubble pack GMRS radios yesterday you realize how difficult the whole thing would be. You'd need both real frequencies and GMRS/FRS channel numbers. And even then you'd still have insane cross talk issues because there are over a hundred teams trying to squeeze into limited channels. If you want to see even more complication go look at how Midland gets "extra" channels by just hard coding PL tones into existing frequencies.

Then there's still the crap shoot of will you get stuck on a channel with a super chatty team. Because even if you evenly distribute everyone into the channels, if you have one of the teams who talks non-stop with a privacy code so they are oblivious to the fact that there are other teams on the channel, it's going to suck for you.

I don't know that there is a good solution other than just dealing with the cluster of madness. We pick a channel, then monitor a bunch saturday morning. If there is a quieter channel we swap it out at the first driver change. Best solution we've found so far.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

There were multiple teams on our radio channel at HPR in June, so we started using the car # in each transmission.    That helped a lot.

17 (edited by billybobster 2016-08-23 09:19 PM)

Homey D Cap wrote:

What NEEDS to stop are people in the pits using the frequencies during the race asking where the ice chest is or kids being allowed to play on them. Use your cell phone!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that the kind of stuff clogging the channels? Maybe I will turn off the CTCSS on one radio at the next event and eavesdrop.

We're in the habit now of using callsigns. Car is Badger, paddock is Badger Base. It's good for getting your attention before the content begins.

At the last Thunderhill, my team called in about something just as I was stuck in a car clog. My response was a "I'm a little busy." Then when the clog cleared me I radioed back "leavemealoneIknowwhatimdoing." OK, perhaps not totally on topic radio use, but nonetheless I just had to do it.

Maybe we need someone like Dan Mathews to be TRO - The Radio One. 10-4!

http://www.the60sofficialsite.com/images/Highway%20Patrol.jpg

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

The answer is still ditch the radios and do flag semaphore.

billybobster wrote:
Homey D Cap wrote:

What NEEDS to stop are people in the pits using the frequencies during the race asking where the ice chest is or kids being allowed to play on them. Use your cell phone!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that the kind of stuff clogging the channels? Maybe I will turn off the CTCSS on one radio at the next event and eavesdrop.

We're in the habit now of using callsigns. Car is Badger, paddock is Badger Base. It's good for getting your attention before the content begins.

Yes, this happens a lot. And it's usually a team with a privacy codes on so they have no idea there are others on the channel. I came across one team that was using two sets of radios, on the same channel, with two different privacy codes. thinking they were isolating their pit talk and car to pits talk. They weren't. We heard everything. Every request for someone to make sandwhiches, asking where things were, stupid jokes, banter. Oh, and then the relentless car to pit talk. When it takes you 40 minutes to debate whether to put 5 or 6 gallons of fuel into the car to make it to the end when you're not in the top 3 of your class, add the extra freaking gallon.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

peridotracing wrote:

It would be ridiculously easy to post intended ferquencies right before the race on this forum under Lemons tech. Start one thread for each race.  Check the thread the night before the race. You could not enforce it's use but if you got 50% adoption then that is 50% more than what you have now.

At first I was envisioning this, but realized yes, even on a good day only a fraction of teams monitor these forums.  Even then, it IS better than nothing.  I guess the best option is to run without ctcss enabled, monitor chatter for the first stint, use callsigns, and if chatter is especially bad, change at the first pitstop.

I had a pie in the sky dream that Lemons could simply dole out frequencies evenly to minimize accidentally stuffing on a channel shared by 12 other teams, but I realize that is probably impossible to coordinate with the licensing issues etc, unless there's just a disclaimer (HAM license frequency only)

I hope NHMS will be better, maybe a few weeks before the race I'll post a radio frequency shout out post in the upcoming race forum for teams to list their intended frequencies.  We'll see

NH will be just as bad, it always is. The field is usually over 100 cars, so the radios are packed.

I wish there was a good answer, but I haven't found one yet.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

The First person to invent an FRS Burst transmission radio will be a thousandaire.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

My best suggestion is that after the drivers meeting have an impromtu meeting or otherwise have a shared google doc that lists what teams actually know what channels they have and what they are using.
Now I'm only briefly knowledgeable, but if you want to get away from some of the other chatter, set up your radio using chirp to step their channels between where most channels broadcast.

Also the best bet is to monitor the channel to see if there is other teams on that channel.

Sparky

DNF Racing 1992 Mazda Miata
"Cheat to win"

24 (edited by VKZ24 2016-08-24 11:41 AM)

My $0.02 worth on this subject.

1. Lemons HQ definitely will not want to add yet another responsibility to their staff.  It won't happen.  End of story.

2. If someone were to assign your team a channel, how many teams actually have radios that can simply just change their frequency to whatever is assigned?  My team's radios have an A & B, and would need to be sent off to be reprogrammed.

3. Like others have said, the biggest problem is teams who just can't STFU.  Once at Barber, we literally had a guy beside us in the timing tower who actually coached his driver in EVERY SINGLE TURN, LAP AFTER LAP!  Our radio is used mostly for pit stops, and car problems.  My team knows I don't want to hear someone jabbering in my ear for 2 hours, so unless it's something important, just STFU and let me drive.  How those WRC guys listen to that constant chatter is beyond me.

4. I think a version of CTSparky's Google Docs idea is the most practical, and has the best chance (albeit really small chance) of any kind of success.  It could be started here on the forum and expanded by teams who have access at the actual race.  This assumes that a team actually knows their frequencies however.

5. My team has been fortunate that our channel has mostly been clear, but we have had cross-talk a few races.  I do like the call sign idea so you know who you are talking to.   I need to talk to my team about this and implement it in case of cross-talk in the future.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I would be up for the whiteboard or google doc.  Seams like you could at least get an even distribution of teams across the GMRS channels.  I think other UHF and VHS channels would be hard to regulate because I think most people probably uses those without a licence.

Moot Point Racing - 1991 Volvo 240 - #496