1 (edited by revvhappy 2016-09-19 07:17 AM)

Topic: CMP - Post race

The BBQ was incredible, the weather was perfect, the racing was great, the parade is just plain cool!

Share your stories of the weekend here. I'll post more when when my brain works.

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

2 (edited by FPRbuzz 2016-09-19 07:38 AM)

Re: CMP - Post race

After 1.5 hours the coolant temp spiked to 230 and Rae came in. There was no water in the cooling system and the oil was burned out completely. When it cooled we tried to restart it and it made metallic knocking noises but wouldn't restart. That evening Ted got it to fire and found the cooling system to be holding pressure and found no water in the oil. He changed the water pump and gutted the thermostat. Sunday morning we did an oil change and sent Patrick out. He ran one good lap and she began to overheat again but he said that the car was running better than ever before it got hot. When he came in we checked the radiator and found it to have hot end-tanks and a cool grid. This makes us think there is no water flow. Hopefully the engine is still okay so we can sell it and swap in a harder/better/faster/stronger diesel engine.

On Saturday, having a blown up car I went looking to find a ride for a few laps to at least feel the track. What I wasn't expecting was a sick driver giving me his whole 2 hour stint. Huge thanks to Come Monday Motorsports for letting me pilot their Porsche for the end of Saturday. She's an absolute rocket(fits my theme!) and drives very well. It was tons of fun getting to drive an actual fast car and is a great motivator to make Planet Express quicker.

Planet Express
"IOE" "C Win" 4834.701 Race Miles and counting
Toyocedes
"Least Southern Pickup Truck" "IOE" "C win" "C win (again?)"

Lee Ho Fook's Racing had a mostly trouble free weekend in our uber-cheated up E36 but we definitely seemed to be a rolling target for some of the other cars.  We had 4 incidents of car to car contact................  FOUR!!!

I'm not pointing fingers as we likely share responsibility for some of this and our Black Flag count was mostly accurate, but it seemed to me that the aggression level and the lack of awareness was a bit higher than the usual CMP event.  Car count maybe? 

We had a great weekend, enjoyed the parade as always and had several good on-track battles with other cars so not trying to be Debbie Downer here..... just wondering if anyone else noticed anything similar this past weekend. Three of the incidents were while I was in the car................. maybe I sux................. wink

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Hope everyone made it home safely.
It was a pleasure to be on track with all of you at CMP.  Every car out there brought a smile to my face!  Thanks for all the encouragement and thanks to the Lemons team for building such a great sandbox for us all to play in.
Bill
Done Racing Racing

Hazzardous Racing Orange Rx7 on fire at 6:00 PM on Saturday.
Coming into the last turn before the straightway smoke starts coming out of the hood. Noticeable but not a lot of smoke. Right before the turn the car dies and smoke is getting thicker, I decide to duck left towards pits. I killed the fuel pump and tried to start the car thinking I can consume the fuel in the bowls, no luck. The smoke is getting a bit thicker, I was unbuckled ready to jump out of the car. The car stops right at the gates to exit the pits. At this point I was unbuckled with fire extinguisher in my right hand with the pin out screaming at the safety crew and 2 nice people who were by the gates,

" The car is on Fire !!! "

They pull the hood pins and try to open the hood but it gets hung up at the driver’s front corner, luckily the back side is open about a foot, just in time for me to put a little puff from the fire extinguisher. I get out of the car and put a whole lot more foam just to make sure everything is out. We also have foam fire suppression system which I could have pulled but the fire or smoke wasn't big enough to warrant that.  I was lucky this happened where it happened. I was amazed by the speed and calmness of the safety crew. The nice gentlemen pushed the car to the paddocks where my team gets to see the car covered in the foam. I am glad we have the extra fire safety equipment; we did not need it but I knew I had backup.

This reminded me that the hobby is super fun but we do have to keep in mind all the safety aspects and understand that rules for cage, safety gear and such is for our own good.

As usual, we had a blast, Special thanks to TRD racing they make our Lemons experience more lemony. On the side note, if anyone has pictures of this incident please let me know.

6 (edited by VKZ24 2016-09-19 09:47 AM)

Team Super Westerfield Bros had a good time and a good showing as we finished in 7th place.  Loved the parade as always, but as an added bonus we got flash-mobbed at the corner pizza joint by a college a cappella group at dinner.  They were awesome!

To the driver of the Knoxvegas Lowballers Hooptiecorn who drove the session after quiet hour on Sunday, damn, am I familiar with the back of your car!  I think we ran nose to tail for at least a solid 30 minutes.  Good clean racing and a lot of fun.  I should have video of it, if for some reason you can't remember what the back of you car looks like...LOL!

To whomever took out the 580SX of the Silver Bullets between T8-9 on Saturday, if you know you did it, and you know you did, since you BROKE the LR wheel, BROKE the lower control arm, and bent the shock into a L-shape forcing the wheel up all the way into the fender well...what a chicken-shit move to not at least find the owner and apologize.  I doubt you did it on purpose, and if you did that's a whole other conversation, but not owning up to it is really shitty of you.  Lucky for you, their video camera wasn't working so you can remain anonymous for now, or at least until maybe another car who was nearby publicly outs you.  I made contact with the #90 Mercedes team and even though they suffered no damage, I made sure to find the driver and apologize.  If anyone has video of the incident please post it up as we would all like to know exactly what happened.

Congrats to the AMX/Z3 team for a well run race.  I know a lot of work went into making that car.  Congrats to Team SOB for another fine showing finishing 2nd right out of the box the new car.

Hope to see you all at Barber next February!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

roadtrip wrote:

Coming into the last turn before the straightway smoke starts coming out of the hood. Noticeable but not a lot of smoke. Right before the turn the car dies and smoke is getting thicker, I decide to duck left towards pits. I killed the fuel pump and tried to start the car thinking I can consume the fuel in the bowls, no luck. The smoke is getting a bit thicker, I was unbuckled ready to jump out of the car. The car stops right at the gates to exit the pits. At this point I was unbuckled with fire extinguisher in my right hand with the pin out screaming at the safety crew and 2 nice people who were by the gates,

They pull the hood pins and try to open the hood but it gets hung up at the driver’s front corner, luckily the back side is open about a foot, just in time for me to put a little puff from the fire extinguisher. I get out of the car and put a whole lot more foam just to make sure everything is out. We also have foam fire suppression system which I could have pulled but the fire or smoke wasn't big enough to warrant that.  I was lucky this happened where it happened. I was amazed by the speed and calmness of the safety crew. The nice gentlemen pushed the car to the paddocks where my team gets to see the car covered in the foam. I am glad we have the extra fire safety equipment; we did not need it but I knew I had backup.

This reminded me that the hobby is super fun but we do have to keep in mind all the safety aspects and understand that rules for cage, safety gear and such is for our own good.

As usual, we had a blast, Special thanks to TRD racing they make our Lemons experience more lemony. On the side note, if anyone has pictures of this incident please let me know.

We were watching the race from the first shade tent closest to pit exit where your car came to rest.. my daughter had her DSLR camera ready and snapped several pictures of the fire.. I'll get the pics in the next few days and post.. she said they were good.

thanks,
Wes

'94 BMW E36 - mostly fast with frequent periods of sitting in the pits getting worked on

Did anybody get any video of the Crispy Astro van that went backwards across the track on fire?

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

9 (edited by VKZ24 2016-09-19 09:53 AM)

roadtrip wrote:

I was on the hill when the car came in.  I was sitting there with my team watching the smoke as the driver gets out saying "Don't open the hood, don't open the hood!".  Opening the hood provides more oxygen for the fire which was made evident by how quickly it escalated when the hood was finally removed.  We too have a on-board FSS, and I would like likely pulled the handle myself.  As long as I can get out safely, I could give a shit less if the car burns or not.

Captain

steve wrote:

Did anybody get any video of the Crispy Astro van that went backwards across the track on fire?

I would like to know the thinking behind the whole situation. I came around one lap and the van is off the right side of the track after the corner station, then the next lap it's against the left guardrail. It had to go backwards across the track in a fast corner to accomplish the feat.

To the orange RX7 with the fire. Two of my team were the guys pulling the hood pins - whether it was correct or not they believed that they were helping. When it was running it was cool to watch the small fireball exit your exhaust on the front straight.

Whoever opened the hood was helping. Big thanks to them. I had the fire extinguisher in my hand but there was no way in hell I would have gotten the hood off AND put the fire out myself.

Big thanks to them. Rev Happy, Give my thanks to your team mates.

Wesleyw, I think I saw her right when I was getting back in the car. I would love those pictures.

I am the driver,  and I was screaming The Car is on fire...

roadtrip wrote:

I am the driver,  and I was screaming The Car is on fire...

Visions of Ricky Bobby

13 (edited by ICAustinMiniMan 2016-09-19 11:18 AM)

VKZ24 wrote:

To whomever took out the 580SX of the Silver Bullets between T8-9 on Saturday, if you know you did it, and you know you did, since you BROKE the LR wheel, BROKE the lower control arm, and bent the shock into a L-shape forcing the wheel up all the way into the fender well...what a chicken-shit move to not at least find the owner and apologize.  I doubt you did it on purpose, and if you did that's a whole other conversation, but not owning up to it is really shitty of you.

I don't have video, but I was right behind this accident driving the Toyocedes. I very nearly was involved in that; there was probably less than a foot of clearance by the time I braked and swerved.

My interpretation is that the 580SX took itself out. They were driving INCREDIBLY aggressively and tried to go four wide in the straight. I saw them go to do it and actually said out loud "They're about to go over their stupid quota for the day..."

About a second after I said that, they cut left very hard to get on the line and affectively PIT maneuvered themselves. Short of everyone else just pulling over and letting them go, the 580SX accident was the fault of the driver.  I *think* the Nissan Maxima(Altima?) with the light bar was the car that did the contact but I'm not 100% sure. There are teams which can cut in and I feel comfortable with because I know they know where the edges of their car are. Our Lady of Perp. Downforce for example can cut within an inch of me and I don't flinch. But I think the 580SX driver just misjudged the length of their car by about 2 feet.

It was a hell of an entertaining pirouette though! I hope everyone was fine and the car is repairable.

As an aside... who hit the Toyocedes? I think it was a red e36. Any video of that? It did a number on the bed side. No mechanical damage, though. No biggie, someone just came too far right, but it was a rather tedious "still hitting, still hitting" bit of contact... I would say this was about the most aggressive race I've been in. There was a lot of four-wide nonsense going on. Fun to manage traffic, but I'm surprised more cars didn't get lunched.

Idle Clatter Racing: 1979 Mercedes 300SD Delivery Spaceship,  "Not all ideas are good."
Fall 2013 CMP I.O.E.
Shine Country Classic 2014 and Southern Discomfort: Showed Up; Didn't Blowed Up
Humidi TT: DOMINATION. Barber 2015: "Least Southern Pickup Truck"

Austin Powerless here.  Continued thanks to 99% of you that are courteous passing the Marina!  In case you don't know, the poor beast literally died going into turn 14 of the last lap and we crossed the line at about 30 mph.  Finished the cool down lap at idle as it would rev to ~2500 rpm in neutral with Scotts foot to the floor!  Brakes died idling to the awards!  Anyway, had a great time and kudos to the drivers that follow our point bys; many apologies if we slowed any of you down!

Jamie Palmer  tr6driver@yahoo.com
Austin Powerless Racing  '75 Austin Marina, 44th/IOE Summit Point '13, 35th/1st Class C CMP Fall '13, 23rd/3rd Class C CMP Spring '14, 83rd/14th Class C CMP Fall '14 (blown engine/swapped mid-race to finish), 3rd Class C CMP Spring '15, 2nd Class C CMP Fall '15
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-Po … 3187341573

roadtrip wrote:

Pics from my daughter: https://goo.gl/photos/UJZWrj8s6bG8nNju8

'94 BMW E36 - mostly fast with frequent periods of sitting in the pits getting worked on

ICAustinMiniMan wrote:

My interpretation is that the 580SX took itself out. They were driving INCREDIBLY aggressively and tried to go four wide in the straight. I saw them go to do it and actually said out loud "They're about to go over their stupid quota for the day..."

About a second after I said that, they cut left very hard to get on the line and affectively PIT maneuvered themselves. Short of everyone else just pulling over and letting them go, the 580SX accident was the fault of the driver.  I *think* the Nissan Maxima(Altima?) with the light bar was the car that did the contact, but I'm not 100% sure. There are teams which can cut in and I feel comfortable with because I know they know where the edges of their car are. Our Lady of Perp. Downforce for example can cut within an inch of me and I don't flinch. But I think the 580SX driver just misjudged the length of their car by about 2 feet.

Thanks for the reply.  I only have one side of the story as you know, and of course there was more to it than that, which is why I'd love to see a video if anyone has it.  One question though, if he cut left, why was all the damage on the his right side, and none on the left?  As understand it, he didn't hit a wall or anything.

Captain

Wes, Thank you very very much. Please thank your daughter on my behalf also. Let me know her name so that I can give the photo credits in her name.

Regards,
Bhavin

roadtrip wrote:

Wes, Thank you very very much. Please thank your daughter on my behalf also. Let me know her name so that I can give the photo credits in her name.

Regards,
Bhavin

Her name is Callie Williams, 18 years old, this is her third year as a driver.. she LOVES Lemons and is very thankful to Jay and the entire Lemons family for having such a great organization.  She got a personal best this year.. turned a 2:04 in our BMW e36... Pat who is the lead instructor at CMP trained her when she was 16 and he makes it a point to touch base with our family at every event.. he is a great guy.. Callie drives clean lines and is very smooth with the car..  BTW.. Pat was the guy manning Pit Entry.. checking belts and arm bands.

Feel free to use the photos as you wish, giving her credit is cool!

Wes

Damn, 2:04 is 6 seconds faster than my fastest lap.
Callie Williams, Thank you very much.

Anybody knows who those two fine gentelmen were pulling the hood?

Big thanks to them for saving the car. They are the reason the car made it to the finish lines.

Wesleyw wrote:
roadtrip wrote:

Regards,
Bhavin

Her name is Callie Williams, 18 years old, this is her third year as a driver.. she LOVES Lemons and is very thankful to Jay and the entire Lemons family for having such a great organization.  She got a personal best this year.. turned a 2:04 in our BMW e36... Pat who is the lead instructor at CMP trained her when she was 16 and he makes it a point to touch base with our family at every event.. he is a great guy.. Callie drives clean lines and is very smooth with the car..  BTW.. Pat was the guy manning Pit Entry.. checking belts and arm bands.

Feel free to use the photos as you wish, giving her credit is cool!

Wes

Wes, why haven't you had Callie entered into any of our three annual THSCC HPDE events? We have two at VIR and one at CMP.  I can promise you we'll make her even better.

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:

Wes, why haven't you had Callie entered into any of our three annual THSCC HPDE events? We have two at VIR and one at CMP.  I can promise you we'll make her even better.

She's a Tarheel!   will talk with her about it for sure

Wes

tr6driver wrote:

Austin Powerless here.  Continued thanks to 99% of you that are courteous passing the Marina!  In case you don't know, the poor beast literally died going into turn 14 of the last lap and we crossed the line at about 30 mph.  Finished the cool down lap at idle as it would rev to ~2500 rpm in neutral with Scotts foot to the floor!  Brakes died idling to the awards!  Anyway, had a great time and kudos to the drivers that follow our point bys; many apologies if we slowed any of you down!

I had a blast chasing whoever was driving after quiet hour on Sunday. I was in the knoxvegas van, dragging a dead drive train in the back. We were door to door, neither one of gaining an inch on each other heading into the kink, that was a lot of fun.

You guys went into pit, and shortly after pulled on track out in front of me and we got to run together again. Very entertaining to watch you toss that thing around.

23 (edited by midlifecrisis 2016-09-19 12:27 PM)

The Monza did what it normally does. It broke.  We had a blast anyway. TheCamden  downtown parade was great as always. Thanks to Jay, Phil and the rest of the Lemons crew for making this fun. The BBQ Saturday night was great. We were having a ball racing with the AMX and as always SOB racing.Finished second Saturday with no clutch and could not find a correct o-ring to repair our hydraulic throw out bearing Sunday morning. At about 2 am I finally realised I was not going to be able to fix it. If anyone has video of the Monza we would love seeing it. Somehow our GOPRO failed to record. We managed to race without any contact which goes to prove there was alot of good drivers on the track. The poor Monza is getting tired so we aren't sure if it will return or we will build something different. The Done Racing AMX BMW and SOB's new BMW both ran flawlessly and are making a strong case for a more dependable ride. Congrats to them on a great run.

ICAustinMiniMan wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:

As an aside... who hit the Toyocedes? I think it was a red e36. Any video of that? It did a number on the bed side. No mechanical damage, though. No biggie, someone just came too far right, but it was a rather tedious "still hitting, still hitting" bit of contact... I would say this was about the most aggressive race I've been in. There was a lot of four-wide nonsense going on. Fun to manage traffic, but I'm surprised more cars didn't get lunched.

I don't think it was us.  I got close to you once on Sunday in the Carousel but I don't think we touched.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

Questies Racing Team had a fantastic time in our little white and yellow Escort GT. We truly hope our driving was clean (not aware of any contact) and hopefully we didn't annoy anyone as we tossed the Escort around trying to make the most of it.

As is usual for us though something beset our best efforts to try and do well at CMP. After getting into 1st near the end of  the first 2 hours I started to have what felt like brake issues and simultaneously developed a drivers front vibration. Nursed it home for almost an entire lap (was literally supposed to be the last one or two of my stint) and voila, as I enter into the paddock area the drivers wheel comes off, rolls under the car which launches it up what felt like several feet and then was unceremoniously spat out, dropping the car thankfully on the roll bar mount which held up surprisingly well. There were a bunch of people taking pictures, would love to see some if any one on here was there?
After that we got back on track in about 50th after around 20 minutes off track and set ourselves a new target of top 20. At the end of day 1 we had managed better than we expected and were able to get into P16,  and by the end of Sunday morning we had worked our way up to P13. At the driver change at 2pm we were in P10 and by 3:48 we had managed to get into P8. I was unknowingly however about to lose that position to the Burp team E36. Realizing a little late that this was for position the chase ensued and the next 10 minutes or so were some of the most fun I have had on track personally. After swapping positions several times over the last few laps, we did ultimately get back to P8.

Regrettably our sister team in the other Escort GT (Team Scrap Iron) took a real big hit after avoiding an out of control car in the kink. The accident was completely unavoidable by the Hong North Supra and thankfully they were able to continue for the most part. The hit in the passenger rear wheel of the Escort however bent the rear strut tower and supporting chassis elements so they will need to re-shell the car. They advise me however that they will be back, with a new theme other than Iron Man for the Spring race smile

Big thanks to Jay, Phil and the rest of the Lemons staff and all of the teams for making this event so much fun.