Topic: It runs!!!!! what a surprise

We just got the car running again.  The Dudes of Hazard are almost ready for Sears Pointless!   Too bad we can't take it out on the street and test it.   I find it amazing at how many hours are needed to fix a car. 

Now I have to power wash all the extra oil that the engine spit out at the last race.  Don't want a smoke bomb or fire. 

Our goal is to beat the last two races (thunderhill) and finish more than 35 laps! 

For some reason this car just keeps overheating.   So now we have two electric fans and a scoop. 

See you all in March!

Dudes

2 (edited by Spank 2010-02-01 09:58 PM)

Re: It runs!!!!! what a surprise

check the timing at full advance (if it's a distributer) and also check your Air/Fuel mixture-- 2 main reasons old technology cars overheat.

(disclaimer-- that sounds like I know what i'm talking about-- I don't.)

have you checked the radiator...my guess is its full of junk and not flowing properly....

The bummer is large fans only help AT LOW SPEED...so they are pretty much worthless above about 30mph....  we actually took the belt driven fan out of the estate and run only the small AC secondary fan....it only kicks on in the pits....never even runs on track

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

A bigger/better radiator never hurts.  Check out some roundy-round swap meets or websites.  2 weekends ago there was a swap meet here and aluminum radiators could be had used for less than 50 bucks.

Also, wrapping the exhaust helps keep underhood temps way down.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Spank wrote:

check the timing at full advance (if it's a distributer) and also check your Air/Fuel mixture-- 2 main reasons old technology cars overheat.

(disclaimer-- that sounds like I know what i'm talking about-- I don't.)

Sounds like you do! You can lower the hell out of your temps on a carb'd car by richening the mixture....in fact max power is a little on the rich side of stoichiometric anyway...for you FI kids the carb is a small metal casting near the intake that looks like a throttle body.... Richen with jets, not the screw, because you need the extra fuel at WOT, not just idle/pullover RPM's. And Spank's also right about timing....old school racers like lots of static timing and no advance, but you can just bump static a little and use weak springs to get the total you want at WOT....and the car will turn over easily and actually idle in the pits....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....