Topic: How to dress warmly, and not burn like a christmas tree...

So with CMP just around the corner, and temperatures foretasted near freezing, I wonder how the best way to layer without using fabrics that will roast me like a marshmallow? Cotton long johns under my nomex?

Emily's Power for a Cure 1990 Mazda Miata (I Got Screwed 2014 Southern Discomfort)
Help in the fight against Neuroblastoma, a devastating childhood cancer.
http://emilyspowerforacure.com/

Re: How to dress warmly, and not burn like a christmas tree...

2 layers of nomex

No underwear...drive harder! smile

It was 29 degrees at 4 in the morning at Streets this past weekend. I had a single layer suit and a layer of nomex undies on, and I got out of the car covered in sweat with steam pouring off.

If you get cold while you're driving, you're doing it wrong.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

Little Jack keep ya warm.

-Mike
Junk Works Racing Team Captain
Lemons South Spring '09 SR-71 BlackBird Finisher
Southern Discomfort '10 E-30ata 4th place

gielamonster wrote:

It was 29 degrees at 4 in the morning at Streets this past weekend. I had a single layer suit and a layer of nomex undies on, and I got out of the car covered in sweat with steam pouring off.

If you get cold while you're driving, you're doing it wrong.

+1.  Driving is the best way to stay warm.  Waking up at 3:30 a.m., I was really anxious to get in the car if, for no other reason, than to stop shivering from the cold.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

As long as the car is running, cold won't be a problem.  I froze my ass off at NL last fall.  I was laying on the steel trailer deck working under the car from 8pm until 8am.  The only time I was comfortable was when I was driving.

I'm not sure how the paddocks are at CMP, but if they get muddy, be sure the team buys several pairs of the yellow rubber boots that the cement workers wear.  They fit over your boots or driving shoes and will keep your feet warm and dry.  At NL, the muck was so deep that we had to wear them between the paddock and the hot pits.  Otherwise our driving shoes would get all muddy.  Muddy shoes are very dangerous when racing.  One slip on the pedal and you could be in big trouble.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I echo the idea that if you're working hard driving, you won't notice the cold. But, if your car totally sucks, like mine did at the Arse-Freeze 2007, you'll want some layers. Cotton or silk long johns underneath your Nomex are OK--as with everything else, stay away from synthetics. If you can layer Nomex over Nomex, that's obviously ideal.

Chances are, you'll be coldest when you're out of the car--that's easier to deal with as far as clothing.

And jeez, you guys sound like Californians, all complain-y about a little weather!

Jeff G 78 wrote:

I'm not sure how the paddocks are at CMP, but if they get muddy, be sure the team buys several pairs of the yellow rubber boots that the cement workers wear.  They fit over your boots or driving shoes and will keep your feet warm and dry.  At NL, the muck was so deep that we had to wear them between the paddock and the hot pits.  Otherwise our driving shoes would get all muddy.  Muddy shoes are very dangerous when racing.  One slip on the pedal and you could be in big trouble.

Sounds like a wise idea.  Where did you procure these if I may ask?  IOW, where can I go buy a pair?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

The pits at CMP are like being at the beach, I don't think mud will be a problem unless you go lookin' for it.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

Yeah, unless there's 10 inches of rain, there's not gonna be any mud in the main areas. It's one of the few advantages of heavily sanded soil...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

VKZ24 wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

Sounds like a wise idea.  Where did you procure these if I may ask?  IOW, where can I go buy a pair?

Any place that sells brick and block will usually carry them.  Home Depot or Lowe's might even have them.  If all else fails, Grainger has them, but they are more expensive there than what I paid.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/se … ots&N=

Buying locally will ensure that they fit over your driving shoes.  We had two pairs, so the driver getting into the car could wear them from the trailer to the pits and the driver exiting the car could put them on to walk around for a bit to view the race.  Everybody else changed into work clothes between stints.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

ronman wrote:

Yeah, unless there's 10 inches of rain, there's not gonna be any mud in the main areas. It's one of the few advantages of heavily sanded soil...

OK, forget about the mud.  Standing water is quite possible and even 2" of it will likely soak my feet in racing shoes.  Cold wet feet during a two hour driving stint will suck.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

How about take off your racing shoes unless..... you are racing!

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

I've been at CMP on a cold wet Feb DE.  The wind was blowing all weekend and it turned to snow Sunday evening. 

If it does rain, you don't need to worry about mud.  The soil is sandy and the grass pretty hardy.  There will be standing water in lots of places.  In the paddock and on the track.

It looks like the rain will let up in time for the race.  Reguardless, it will be WAY colder than NL last fall.  I'd get some cheep cotton longjohns and add them under you driving suit.

Not all who wander are lost.

We can't wait until Miller Sports Park in Utah gets real and allows us to race Lemons there. We can have the official 2011 Arse-Freeze here in Utah in November.
Not only will it be 25 degrees but you will have a nice breeze coming off the Great Salt Lake to deal with. OH yea! and you will be draining the fluids out every night to keep your lines from freezing. Man I can't wait, we love to hear people complain about their beer being too...cold.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/