1 (edited by Speedycop 2010-02-02 12:39 PM)

Topic: So our engine for this weekend is no good...

We bought a $200 u-pull-it motor to stay under budget. It was supposed to run great. Well, it didn't, and after 3 days of swapping all the sensors, plugs, wires, checking voltages, cleaning the MAF, resetting/checking codes over and over, I went out and bought a new compression tester, and the engine is bad. Right bank (1-4) is fine (175-195). Left bank (5-8) is 60/5/30/0 psi. Sounds like it jumped time, and I'm not gonna do a head swap at this stage, I'd rather just swap the motor. I'm off to the junkyard now for another...

Why did we pick the hardest car to work on???

FML.

Did I mention that our $150 T45 also turned out to be no good, and the cheapest replacement ($200) was EIGHT HOURS AWAY IN VA BEACH????!?!?!?!? Yes, we went 8 hours  driving time last week for a trans we could've bought locally for more, in an extreme effort to KEEP FROM GOING OVER BUDGET.

Now we're gonna wind up over anyway.

FML.

IF we make it to the track with a running Mark VIII, I would advise against calling us cheaters to my face. I've missed work for 5 days, burned the candle at both ends working on this thing, and my nerves are shot. We bent over backwards to keep from going over budget, and a bad engine is what we got.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Re: So our engine for this weekend is no good...

"2.4: Whiner Eligibility. Whiners are not eligible to compete. If you believe that you might be a whiner, please check with a domestic partner, guardian, or health-care professional before getting the rest of your team kicked the hell out of the race."

J/K  big_smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Because if was easy it wouldn't be as much fun.(actually that is a lie but it will probably make you feel better)

Which car are you running?

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

A Mark VIII. Did you miss that part?

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Clearly I did, that actually would seem to be the least difficult in theory, well atleast the least difficult to find an engine for.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Your not suppose to find these things out until your at the track. big_smile

You should be able to at least get a $200.00 credit for the crap they sold you.
Now it sucks because finding another motor is just going to be that much harder.
Good luck most of us have been there. Our 2nd pick and Pull motor had a hole in the piston.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Junk yard motors are a crap shoot.

I've driven over 8 hours to not buy stuff.

I feel your pain.

Good luck, you could revive the Cadi.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Just remember your next motor might be no good too.  It's part of the game!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Can you get them to pull the heads before you buy/load? Only takes a minute with an impact gun and you might want to put in fresh head gaskets anyway....and if you find a bad valve, you might be able to knock the price down, then mix and match heads with your old stuff...and in your spare time, maybe solve the Middle East problem...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

I'm pretty sure pull-a-part offers a 30 day guarantee on motors.  Not sure if u-pull-it does.

You can do it!!

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp132/Evil_Rich/Waterboy_2.jpg

Is the lincoln motor interference?  It sure sounds like it is with bent valves..... which of course the 928 motor is too :>(

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Yes, it is. It's a 32 valve DOHC 4.6L. Same motor they used in the Cobra up through 2004.

Good news is, the BLOCK ALONE from that sells for $400 all day long. so I wouldn't be too upset about having spent $200 on the motor. Sucks that all the time was lost swapping it in though.

Sounds like you're already in the running for Heroic Fix, so don't give up!

Disney wrote:

Yes, it is. It's a 32 valve DOHC 4.6L. Same motor they used in the Cobra up through 2004.

If I remember right, the Mark VIII motor had a cast crank and the Cobra motor's crank was forged.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

can I call you "Cheater!" behind your back?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Jeff G 78 wrote:
Disney wrote:

If I remember right, the Mark VIII motor had a cast crank and the Cobra motor's crank was forged.

interesting...since all of the 928 cranks are forged and some of the rods-pistons are too...but of course not the early engines like we are running....

Oddly enough a forged crank doesn't help when there is no oil in the bearings..you still end up with this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm1BlKelA3M

Wasn't that Lincoln rated at 280HP??  My guess is its closer to the Cobra output of 305hp...Pretty serious HP for Lemons....the estate is rated at 234hp...

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

It could be worse. You could have a SHO.

Damn man .... if we knew you were in a jam, we could of defiantly arranged to help yall out. We could of brought the motor half way to yall or something being our team is out of Va Beach.  Being car guys we may of even known the guy you bought it from. 

Next time you need parts or something from down here, let us know man, we are glad to lend a hand to get you guys to the track again.

Yall were one of the few teams that actually stayed up drinking with us.

Im still upset we never got that email about racing on your land like you were hyping up. 

Just a couple days left, we will have a welder with us just incase .... we hope yall get everything worked out to make it down there.

JunkWorks
e-30ata

I just got home with a motor that's been on the shelf for about EIGHT YEARS.

FML.

I gotta change the injectors for sure. Everything else is a crap shoot.

FML.

I don't see how a SHO could be any harder to work on. This motor is so wide, it rubs on both sides as you raise it up in the engine bay.

FML.

BTW, our rear diff seems to be shot, and our spare is an open diff. Anybody know how to swap the limited slip carrier over in an 8.8 chunk? I'm thinking a couple cases of beer would be available to the team that would show me how...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Broke Neck wrote:

Damn man .... if we knew you were in a jam, we could of defiantly arranged to help yall out. We could of brought the motor half way to yall or something being our team is out of Va Beach.  Being car guys we may of even known the guy you bought it from. 

Next time you need parts or something from down here, let us know man, we are glad to lend a hand to get you guys to the track again.

Yall were one of the few teams that actually stayed up drinking with us.

Im still upset we never got that email about racing on your land like you were hyping up. 

Just a couple days left, we will have a welder with us just incase .... we hope yall get everything worked out to make it down there.

Thanks. The T45 came from a white boy in da hood (who knew VA Beach had a hood?)  with a lotta tats. He had parts on CL from his old wrecked '99, and now drives a Fox Stang. He was asking $400, but took two, and even threw in 4 quarts of Mobil 1 trans fluid. Nice chap.

The racing is postponed until Memorial Day weekend. You'd damn well better make it. wink

22 (edited by Speedycop 2010-02-02 03:02 PM)

Judge Jonny wrote:

Plenty of folks did last fall, why not join them?

Nobody seems to understand that a $400 280 HP car with half of it's weight removed and Azenis at all four corners should be fast. We couldn't possibly be fast AND legit.

MurileeMartin wrote:

It could be worse. You could have a SHO.

or something with a " Z " in the name

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

Speedycop wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

Plenty of folks did last fall, why not join them?

Nobody seems to understand that a $400 280 HP car with half of it's weight removed and Azenis at all four corners should be fast. We couldn't possibly be fast AND legit.

Some people fill their tires with nitrogen. Police Brutality fills theirs with PURE CHEATONIUM!

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

I've been thinking we should just run air from now on, Ron. Cheatonium is heavier, it can't be helping...