Re: So our engine for this weekend is no good...

Speedy-you guys got a garage stall this weekend?

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

52 (edited by YesIFit 2010-02-03 07:23 AM)

Speedycop wrote:

The rear shocks are used stock Mustang rear Bilsteins (Cobra takeoffs with 40ish k) for $100 shipped from Ricardo Topete on corral net. The fronts are el cheapo stockers from ebay, $50 offer for the pair accepted by a liquidator. I think they were Monroes or Gabriels.

The springs are vogtland. They were on sale for $200, with free shipping. The rest of the suspension and car is stock. ... Never modded the motor, trans, or computer. Never had the intake or cam covers off. Never tuned it up. All we did was gut the everloving crap out of it, as you know. That and tires picked us up 3 seconds a lap

I hear ya. While in a local salvage yard trying to find a pulley that wasn't bent to sh$t and a MAF to throttle body vacuum tube that wasn't cracked, I came across a car that had a full set of Bilsteins. They wanted $100 for the complete set, and I ended up getting them for $75. Of course, I took pics and got a receipt big_smile

Good luck on getting it going by this weekend ... I am in awe.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

53 (edited by Speedycop 2010-02-03 07:22 AM)

An of course nobody but the judges (and possibly not even them) believed you. big_smile

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Jer wrote:

Speedy-you guys got a garage stall this weekend?

Sort've. I have a 24' enclosed trailer.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

55 (edited by Disney 2010-02-03 09:56 AM)

Get it done guys!!!!!!

As a die hard Lincoln fanatic (I have 5 Mark VII's) I too can't wait to see a Mark win Lemons!

Of course, that weak ass yank tank of yours is gonna have to get by our 120hp Red Bull fueled, bicep powered rocket sled first!!!

Disney wrote:

Get it done guys!!!!!!

As a die hard Lincoln fanatic (I have 5 Mark VII's) I too can't wait to see a Mark win Lemons!

You're going to have to give to another team to drive...  I mean, how do you plant the Caddy in the wall that far down the straight?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Speedy, I understand your feelings about cheating.

I get a lot of pressure from guys I know to do "X" because no one will know or other guys are doing it.

Not to make this sound disrespectful but I kind of have the following approach when dealing with Police or BS Inspections.

Don't lie but use a don't ask don't tell kind of policy.

Although a Police Officer asked me how fast I was going once.  I said about 80.

He said I was going 78.

I said okay so I was going about 80.

He again said I was going 78.  Then asked if I knew the speed limit.

I thought it was 70.  Turns out I was in a 55.  I still swear all this happened feet from a 65 MPH sign.

Either way, he gave me a warning.  Probably because I didn't lie to him.

Regarding dead motors, how much is a rebuild kit for a 4.6?  The old 5.0s are cheap to rebuild.

We fixed our Nissan motor.  It cost a few hundred bucks to replace our rings and bearings.  That's more than some junk yards but less than many others.  We know what we've got though.

As others have said, I can often times find complete cars for less than I can find just a few of the parts. 

That's how our Field of Dreams was born, Foxworthy would be proud.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

58 (edited by Speedycop 2010-02-03 11:03 AM)

No time for my first ever 4.6 build. I had to do an R&R if we stood a chance. Fought the busted oil filter adapter all morning (didn't see that the yard broke it when they pulled the motor, hence the giant oil leak). Car just started and ran!  Not great, and it was smoky, but it ran. Now to tune it up and button it up, then make our driveshaft, fix our rear, swap our brakes, etc...

It's ALIVE!!!!!!!

RobL wrote:
Disney wrote:

Get it done guys!!!!!!

You're going to have to give to another team to drive...  I mean, how do you plant the Caddy in the wall that far down the straight?

AHEM. That driver, much loved as he is (family), is not going to be at CMP. big_smile

Well, depending on which side of the garages we are on, feel free to paddock across from 19 and 20.  We need our parking spots in the grass just outside the garage but on the other side of the second road.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Speedycop wrote:

No time for my first ever 4.6 build. I had to do an R&R if we stood a chance. Fought the busted oil filter adapter all morning (didn't see that the yard broke it when they pulled the motor, hence the giant oil leak). Car just started and ran!  Not great, and it was smoky, but it ran. Now to tune it up and button it up, then make our driveshaft, fix our rear, swap our brakes, etc...

It's ALIVE!!!!!!!

awesome news!

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Speedycop wrote:

It's ALIVE!!!!!!!

two thumbs up!  See you down there...

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Speedycop wrote:

Now, during the race, if something breaks, and you have a stock replacement, that should never count. Just my $.02...

But is that compliant with the rules? Our radiator end cap separated from the core during practice laps on Friday (after tech and BS inspections) and we didn't have a spare so we ran to the nearest auto parts store and bought another radiator for $90 (which technically didn't put us over budget as we were only at $408). We ran the race, blew up the motor, and got a residual of $300, but then took off $90 for the new radiator from the current tally. If we could get that $90 back, then we could really use it.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

huh?  If you got a residual for $300, then it's $300.  Since the radiator was in the car at the time of the residual, it should not count.  If the residual was $390, than that's a different story.

65 (edited by Speedycop 2010-02-03 03:29 PM)

Exactly.

Did I mention that we are only hitting on 6 cylinders?  #3 and #5 have no spark. Three coil packs tried. New wires. Wasted spark system, those two share a coil (half a coil pack). HELP NEEDED to diagnose!

Speedycop wrote:

Exactly.

Did I mention that we are only hitting on 6 cylinders?  #3 and #5 have no spark. Three coil packs tried. New wires. Wasted spark system, those two share a coil (half a coil pack). HELP NEEDED to diagnose!

If you have a 96 model verify that the connection from the coil pack to the big black connector at the PCM harness under the hood ( C118 I think ) has continuity. 

If you have an earlier model, swap the EDIS module ( on top of the left wheel well ) and or check continuity there.

We had some broken wires in the engine harness from removal and re-installation.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Can't find my spare EDIS, they cost $150. Car is a '94. EDIS worked yesterday. Coil 2 is only getting .2 volts. PIP average 5.5v with a digi meterNo time for sleep, must get car ready.

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOD IS GOOD!!!!!!!!

Found the problem. One of the pins in the engine harness connector was folded over. Jumper wire, and we're hitting on 8 cylinders!!

On top of that, I sold both the original motor and original trans to a guy to make up the cost of the replacement motor. WE'RE BACK UNDER BUDGET, BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I just did a happy dance for several minutes, then rolled around in the snow with the dogs. We're legit again!

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God is good.

NICE!!! 

See you down there!

Sweet!  Good deal, hope you guys have a great race.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

71 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-02-04 09:24 AM)

awesome news.  see you down there; have a safe trip.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Congrats .. best of luck!

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Awesome, see you sooooooon!

74 (edited by Speedycop 2010-02-04 11:40 AM)

Don't believe what you read on Al Gore's internets. The driveshaft from my old Vic did NOT in fact work. It was much too short. I had to take the yoke back off of it and switch it to the stock Mark VIII driveshaft. Looks like it'll work. We had about 3/8" before bottoming out in the trans! Of course, we had to drop the tank to put it in. While the tank was lowered, I put the impact on the wobbly pinion flange, and IT TIGHTENED RIGHT UP! That rear diff still leaks like a sieve (has all along), but we're gonna leave it alone for now. Just bled the brakes, gotta tighten the driveshaft and tank bolts back up, add fluid to the trans and rear, fix the battery wires, put the radiator back in (fan can wait), fix the exhaust, etc. etc. etc. Doing all that solo, no help available. Guess I won't be leaving here until LATE.

See you on the road!

Scott B
KnoxVegas Leftovers
BetterOffRacing.com