Topic: Roll cage and roof access

I'm developing loads of respect for the difficulty of 360 degree welds on the cage in the car.  I haven't been helped by the fact our main hoop width is equal to the frame rails, and that means I can't drop the cage down in the rear.  At the end of last night's work, frustrated with overhead welds, an idea popped into my head that might work for cars as aesthetically doomed as Lemons. 

What's to keep me from tacking the whole thing together, opening up the entire roof (Mazda Protege), coaxing the cage out of the top, and having the ability to rotate the cage to do my full welds?  Rotisserie-like style.  Then drop back in and weld up said roof. 

I'm imagining if I don't weld the door bars until it's back into the car, then it gives me enough room to finagle it in/out around the B-pillar, since the hoop width slightly exceeds the roof width. 

Who else has done/tried this?

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

Re: Roll cage and roof access

Depending on how you do it...  You should be able to tack and remove your halo&downtubes or downtubes&crossbrace with everything in the car.  Get your welds done on them outside the car or lower them enough to get them done in the car.  Then you lift that structure into position against your main hoop and cut holes in the roof to get to the top of the wleds there. 

http://schumachertaxiservice.com/foxcage/slides/100_1708.jpg

Doorbars and rear stays go in last.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

We used a hole saw to drill into the floor where on the top side of the rail so we could drop the cage into it, and weld all the tops and such, then picked up the whole cage and put 1/2" plates under them, with a weld all the way around the plate and tube.  The fronts were a bit easier, since we had to build a pad to attach it to anyway, so no hole needed.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

4 (edited by VKZ24 2010-02-03 10:13 AM)

Baron wrote:

We used a hole saw to drill into the floor where on the top side of the rail so we could drop the cage into it, and weld all the tops and such, then picked up the whole cage and put 1/2" plates under them, with a weld all the way around the plate and tube.  The fronts were a bit easier, since we had to build a pad to attach it to anyway, so no hole needed.

We used plinths up front and were able to slide the A-pillar tubes off them to provide access to weld those to the roof halo.  It was harder to weld the tubes onto the plinths than anything else just because access in the footwells are tight.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

5 (edited by Baron 2010-02-03 01:27 PM)

VKZ24 wrote:
Baron wrote:

We used plinths up front and were able to slide the A-pillar tubes off them to provide access to weld those to the roof halo.  It was harder to weld the tubes onto the plinths than anything else just because access in the footwells are tight.

AH, we read the rules as that you must have a 360* weld, not nessisarly around  a flat plane.  So we welded flat around the areas where we were able, and then up the rocker and around, so that the tube is completely welded around. Make sense?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

All of that makes plenty of sense to me.  We have holes up front to drop the front through, and jacking the car up gives me more.  We have the spreader plates for the rear to go over the frame rails with a couple layers of .125 welded to fit the contours that I've pulled, but only gives a bit extra. 

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs178.snc3/20543_770212261387_9613012_42905257_235373_n.jpg

If I were totally determined, I could get a weld around, but I'm thinking it's probably not going to cost me any extra time removing the roof since doing them inside the car takes so long.  The more important thing is that I know I'll get a weld I'll trust all the way around if I can manipulate the cage position.  Is this totally out there, or will it work?

7 (edited by TeamDFL 2010-02-03 01:11 PM)

We are on cage #3 where we drop the legs through the floor for finish welding of all the joints up high..

http://teamdfl.com/Lemons/tip2.jpg

http://teamdfl.com/Lemons/tip3.jpg

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

the last post is the right way to do this, and those welds on johnny holecutters 1st little cage playset are terrible.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

mikespeed95 wrote:

the last post is the right way to do this, and those welds on johnny holecutters 1st little cage playset are terrible.

Mine?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Hmmm.  Rob's "1st little cage playset" withstood a roll with no issues and needed no work to race the car again.  The cage was so well built you can't even tell the car was rolled, and the frame did not suffer at all.  I challenge you to roll YOUR car and see if YOUR welds work so well...

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

Hmmm.  Rob's "1st little cage playset" withstood a roll with no issues and needed no work to race the car again.  The cage was so well built you can't even tell the car was rolled, and the frame did not suffer at all.  I challenge you to roll YOUR car and see if YOUR welds work so well...

not to mention the big side impact (aka "T-bone Lou") it took in its first race.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

12 (edited by YesIFit 2010-02-03 02:53 PM)

Sorry .. but this little exchange made me think of this.
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/for_forums/its_on_now.jpg

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

OlCreFoo wrote:

I'm developing loads of respect for the difficulty of 360 degree welds on the cage in the car.  I haven't been helped by the fact our main hoop width is equal to the frame rails, and that means I can't drop the cage down in the rear.  At the end of last night's work, frustrated with overhead welds, an idea popped into my head that might work for cars as aesthetically doomed as Lemons. 

What's to keep me from tacking the whole thing together, opening up the entire roof (Mazda Protege), coaxing the cage out of the top, and having the ability to rotate the cage to do my full welds?  Rotisserie-like style.  Then drop back in and weld up said roof. 

I'm imagining if I don't weld the door bars until it's back into the car, then it gives me enough room to finagle it in/out around the B-pillar, since the hoop width slightly exceeds the roof width. 

Who else has done/tried this?

Done this many times with Street Stocks....since it's a unibody car close all doors and temporarily weld them in place to give body rigidity and support the chassis from as many axle strands as you can....weld/screw little alignment tabs at the pillars where you cut....often the roof "springs" and you can't get a good alignment again.....Unless it's perfect, mount the windshield with a soft compound and use tabs a la NASCAR...modern urethanes set up hard, and residual stresses can crack the windshield. It's easier with a frame car; I used to bolt on alignment tabs at the pillars and saw away. Check over all cage height! 1/4 inch too tall and you won't get the roof on without a sledgehammer. Best way to weld and mount a cage IMO...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Jim, this sounds like just the kind of info I was hoping someone would have. 

It sounds like for the cage height suggestion, since it's already tacked and has footings in the car I have nothing to worry about for that?  That's only if you were to make your hoop too tall for the roof height?

If you were to leave the upright A pillars intact as well as between A and B,  and remove the brace between B pillars and between B and C would that lessen the need to mess with the windshield?  Or is the roof spring pressure significant both front to back and side to side?

The cage is only a problem if it's a little too tall. You want it as high as possible, but you really only have the bracing to cut away to gain height. If you have to cut the roof to fit the cage, you may be better off raising the hoop until it well clears the sheet metal. Several teams have done this. Most important is adequate head to hoop clearance. Everybody says 3 inches, but I've flipped with more than that and had my head hit the bar, with my belts so tight I couldn't breathe! The more the better....If you have a clearance problem, yes you can angle the roof as you suggested, keeping the windshield frame as straight as possible...I knew a racer who had a distorted rewelded windshield frame in a Rabbit, and the water leakage would take strange paths into the dash and cowl, shorting out electrics. How much the roof "springs" depends on lots of factors, including prior body repairs. Some don't spring at all, but if they do it's a PITA to line everything up for welding. To be safe, I used to use small bits of scrap angle iron, Vise-Gripped together, then I'd weld them at each pillar. Then I'd Sawzall from the back, then remove the Grips. To reweld, lining up the tabs and clamping was easy. Remember this is Lemons....a little heating and beating adds patina....and a pretty car looks cheaty!  Post pics!

Jim "Endo" Anderton

VKZ24 wrote:
Baron wrote:

Corking advice, chum!  Our plinths will be installed as soon as we're done using a spanner to do up the gudgeon pins, and after we've assured an adequate petrol level using a torch.

(spent too much time looking at Haynes manuals when I was a kid)

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

We cut the roof off and left it off.  Used the roof sheet metal to fix rusted through floor.  It made the whole process easier.  We had plans to put a stop sign in on hinges for a roof but ended up using it as a fire wall in the first race.  I honestly only thought I would be using the car once for Lemons and then would use it as a Prerunner for my off-road car so the roof was expendable.  Our cage is really an off road chasis and honestly I think it is something like a 14 point cage.   So my vote is to lose the roof altogether cause you don't need it per the rules and build more of a chasis in stead of a roll bar set up.  You'll be happier in the end if you crash or roll.

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!

Little Buckaroo wrote:

We cut the roof off and left it off.  Used the roof sheet metal to fix rusted through floor.  It made the whole process easier.  We had plans to put a stop sign in on hinges for a roof but ended up using it as a fire wall in the first race.  I honestly only thought I would be using the car once for Lemons and then would use it as a Prerunner for my off-road car so the roof was expendable.  Our cage is really an off road chasis and honestly I think it is something like a 14 point cage.   So my vote is to lose the roof altogether cause you don't need it per the rules and build more of a chasis in stead of a roll bar set up.  You'll be happier in the end if you crash or roll.

A roof keeps you pants clean while you crawl out...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Ya still not used to staying so clean.... Lot less dust and mud.  I really think it depends on what your racing and how you set up the cage/chasis.  If you can get away with cutting the roof off it makes the whole thing easier.

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!

Little Buckaroo wrote:

Ya still not used to staying so clean.... Lot less dust and mud.  I really think it depends on what your racing and how you set up the cage/chasis.  If you can get away with cutting the roof off it makes the whole thing easier.

I meant when you're upside down! Of course when all the crap on the floor and under the dash flies up you're covered anyway...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

We built boxes out of 1/8" steel at all attachment points except for the down bars at the back. Was really easy to get the trim right on the front and main hoop AND we had a ton of metal on metal welds for strength (we welded large flat piecs to the thing unibody to minimize the chance of seperation). Then we tacked everything in place and can opened the roof at the right spots to get the 360 welds. Make sure when you're doing your measurements that you don't have to cut through the support truss thats by the windshield (where you have to cut access panels in the roof). We tacked the flaps back down then covered them with gaffer's tape.

This was really simple. We debated dropping the cage through the floor to weld but realized that we'd probably spend a lot of time trying to cut the downbars to fit right and also fit the cage into the roof "hollows" if that makes sense.

Remember: it's a race car thats for safety, not for looks.

We ended up can opening the Cavalier for the T-hill race to get the B pillar welds complete after a right bollocking from the Evil Genius (who didn't tech our car at Buttonwillow). A couple of little flaps and gaffer tape and we were away.

Our cage was built by Fabtoys/Chris to Altamont spec, since that was when we started building the car- which just means there's some extra bracing that isn't strictly for driver safety: more like structural reinforcement...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 144 races and counting.
2/25/24

Cadillac Bob wrote:
VKZ24 wrote:
Baron wrote:

Corking advice, chum!  Our plinths will be installed as soon as we're done using a spanner to do up the gudgeon pins, and after we've assured an adequate petrol level using a torch.

(spent too much time looking at Haynes manuals when I was a kid)

don't forget to replace the escutcheon disc after rebushing the grunnion banjos...if you don't, inadequate silencer/damper clearance might create a noise in the boot...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

jimeditorial wrote:

A roof keeps you pants clean while you crawl out...

which seems to be just a bit too late to worry about clean pants.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Well, clean on the outside anyway.

Buzz, I see your new sig. What happened with your 4AG?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.