Topic: Are you a "good" driver??

I posed this question to the drivers on our team, and the answers were all pretty much 'no'

I was raised at the drag strip, and have been into different forms of motorsports all my life. Before Lemons, I had never driven wheel to wheel. I have autocrossed, driven the grand prix carts, spent most of my allowance as a kid at the go cart track (I suppose that is my only wheel to wheel experience otherwise) but I feel like I am mediocre at best. I am not a bad driver, but my fastest laps come from following the lines of the faster cars in front of me and trying their lines.

I figured it would be interesting to see what everyone rates themselves, and maybe a bit of background of your experience.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Re: Are you a "good" driver??

Skill wise I would say good, and one commonsense track curitsy excellent. When I did my first race at the last CMP race I was the second fastest on my team and head of one driver who has done 6 or 7 Lemons races before.(Please note I have raced karts before all of this for about 6 years and have had no previous expreience driving a car with a manual upto only one week before that race)

Fair driver with "good" potential.  Definitely a safe driver, maybe too safe.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I'm a horrible driver but I think I'm great. However, my reckless disregard for the safety of myself and others sometimes lends me brief bursts of speed that make my claims to greatness appear almost valid until I burst into a ball of flame against a tire wall.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

I think that I'm good in that I have a good race sense and etiquette.  I know what is going on around me and who is driving beyond thier ability and give them a wide berth.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

somewhere between Jackie Stewart and Michael Schumacher

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Jackie Stewart today (age 70)?

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

magnusracing wrote:

I'm a horrible driver but I think I'm great. However, my reckless disregard for the safety of myself and others sometimes lends me brief bursts of speed that make my claims to greatness appear almost valid until I burst into a ball of flame against a tire wall.

So, you're the asshole that was tailgating me yesterday on my way home from work, then?  smile

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

somewhere between Jackie Stewart and Michael Schumacher

Are you sure you don't mean Jackie Gleason?

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

I think Jay Leno puts it best when he says: "Racing cars is like sex, all men think they're good at it."

So all I have to say is I AM A DRIVING GOD!!!!!!!!!!  If I'm not the fastest one on the track then it's the cars fault tongue.

Check out our smoke breathing two stroke monster build...I mean imminent failure at http://metroneige.blogspot.com.

I used to think I was good.  Then we got this guy named "Kurt" on our team and now I feel inferior.  I still whoop his ass at the autocross though.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

As a driver, I'm a superb mechanic....but I'll be Brambilla someday...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

I'm a mid pack racer in spec e30, which makes me a Lemons demigod.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

DaveH wrote:

I used to think I was good.  Then we got this guy named "Kurt" on our team and now I feel inferior.  I still whoop his ass at the autocross though.

Yeah, road racing is easy.  Autocross takes some real talent.  I just have more balls than brains, that's why I kick your butts on the track wink

Kurt Krumm
STS
Current car: who the hell knows
Prior offenses to sound judgment: Toyota coROLLa, Audi 80, Toyota MR2, Ford Crown Vic chop job

by far the most important type of driver to be is a SAFE driver...... 

even if your lap times are dismal if you are aware of your car and everything around it.....and don't make any sudden stupid moves on the track.....then you won't have any problems Lemons racing....find a slightly faster car that passed you (the same car you are driving helps)....and follow that drivers lines through the corners....watch their braking and turn in points and how they act around traffic

The best way to learn road racing is through a DE program local to you...you don't have to use the Lemons racer...any street car is fine or you can rent a miata for cheap....
the practice day right before a Lemons race is a GREAT way to learn the track and get tips.....don't be afraid to ask another more experienced team for help....drivers are portable between teams-cars....so have a good driver take your car out and film it.....then watch his-her lines....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I've been racing formula cars with the SCCA for the past 15 years and have had
some success. That being said, driving in a 24 hour race is much different than a
30 minute sprint, so patience and being smooth with the throttle and brakes would
be beneficial in making the car last etc...

Mark

An old NOOBIE!!!!

250 GTO

Delusional mostly. big_smile

It depends on the type of driving, due to the exposure I got when I was younger.
On mountainous canyon roads maybe an 8.
On dirt roads an optomistic 9.
On dirt canyon roads a 4. (chicken balls)
On track I have discovered I am no better than your average 5.

It was quite the eye opener, and I realized I probably missed the boat to greatness that sailed in my dreams by about 15 years. All I can do now is keep going out to have fun and slowly get better, and not embarrass myself.

I'm still too safe when running wheel to wheel, so that made me slightly better for Lemons than our carting champion "Ringer" who made our car infamous.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I am a great driver and even better at sex.  My only problem is that both are over WAY too fast.

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

I pretty much suck, but I keep it out of the weeds and on more than two wheels most of the time, so there's that.

According to various state police agencies, I am a terrible driver

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/adc/10101880A~Dustin-Hoffman-Rain-Man-Posters.jpg

Good?  I'm an excellent driver!

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

I have no way to grade myself since I can't even drive yet. (I'm underage, though this doesn't stop me from trying to drift the lawn mower...)

I definitely should get to a kart track sometime.

Nick
Instigator of Naked Guy Racing, formerly The Knights Who Say Ni-ssan

Everyone on my team who posted here is faster than me.  Because I drive like a puss.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

At least your honest!...... " A man's got to know his OWN  limitations"!