Topic: 91 Celica GT. Any suggestions out there?

I just picked up a 91 Celica GT.  No title? Carfax ok. No problem!

Anyway, 200k on the clock, doesn't blow any smoke; starts instantly and runs great. Clutch seems good. Timing belt was changed at some point, too, and no discernable valve knock.

Anyone had experience with the year/model?

Brakes/Tires/Cage Install issues, etc?

Any help appreciated!

Re: 91 Celica GT. Any suggestions out there?

We don't have that year, but close.  check the wheel bearing, as all of ours were bad.  We had thermostat issues that had us almost overheating most of the event, and the coil failed, so bring a spare.  And according to the judges, all fwd celicas blow up, so bring beer for afterwards.  Good luck.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Thanks for the reply!

1. Wheel bearings - I've had the car jacked up and was trying to rock the wheels and there doesn't seem to be any play in them. Is there a better way to check?

2. Thermostat. Yeah, I've heard about that beinga Celica problem in general. You guys just grin and bear it? I'd imagine that the therm alone is what kills the cars (I mean, besides agea someone going from 5th to 2nd)

3. What happened to yours? Is it sill alive?

Ours is still alive and kicking.  Getting it prepped for a couple of events this year.  We got the thermostat changed, and are working on removing the ac stuff.  It actually did pretty well at Nelsons last year, was fast when you could run it hard, used no oil and generally had no issues other than the coil packing it in at about 7am sunday morning. 

During the event we couldn't change the thermostat, due to heavily corroded thermostat housing studs.  Didn't want to risk breaking them off in the block.  We just soft pedaled it mostly, and stopped about once an hour or so to refill it with water.  We ran it harder the last couple of hours, but the motor seems to be fine.

Bloomington, IN
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

As far as the wheel bearings, I had all of the rear brakes apart, and took the wheel bearings right off the car to check.  Both were pretty loud, but didn't have any play.  I've ket them for spares, and scrounged a couple of better ones at the local pick and pull.  We also had to replace the axle bearing in the front.  I think our car may have been under water up to the doors at one piont, hence the fact that all of the bearings were bad.

Bloomington, IN

Some of the issue with overheating is the water pump cavitation at high rpms.
We run the 4age in our MR2 and have found that if the system is not fully bled and pressure tested, any small amount of air that gets to the water pump will cause it to stall. You will not have much warning about the overheating, the gauge will spike once or twice and drop back to normal and then all at once your hot and blowing fluid. The issue is Toyota's can run forever but not at 7000 rpm for 8 hours straight. To find out if your water pump is cavitating test the temp at the radiator it will be warm or cold.  The first thing to go on the engine will be the head gasket, always bring a spare.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:

We run the 4age in our MR2 and have found that if the system is not fully bled and pressure tested, any small amount of air that gets to the water pump will cause it to stall. You will not have much warning about the overheating, the gauge will spike once or twice and drop back to normal and then all at once your hot and blowing fluid. The issue is Toyota's can run forever but not at 7000 rpm for 8 hours straight. To find out if your water pump is cavitating test the temp at the radiator it will be warm or cold.  The first thing to go on the engine will be the head gasket, always bring a spare.

Good to know.  I know the thermostat was bad, when we got it out, it looks like it may have failed in about 98.  We also just put a water pump in to it, as it failed when it came back off of the trailer.  I have to get a spare head gasket.

Bloomington, IN

davisriley wrote:

Good to know.  I know the thermostat was bad, when we got it out, it looks like it may have failed in about 98.  We also just put a water pump in to it, as it failed when it came back off of the trailer.  I have to get a spare head gasket.

Email me off line and I can give you a little more info if you want.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno

Wow. I've got a few wrenching skills but have never pulled the head off. Any major traps to look out for when doing so? I know you have to torque everything correctly and do some kind of spiral pattern, etc, but is it worth doing on day 2 or is it just give it up time?

ThePOS wrote:

Wow. I've got a few wrenching skills but have never pulled the head off. Any major traps to look out for when doing so? I know you have to torque everything correctly and do some kind of spiral pattern, etc, but is it worth doing on day 2 or is it just give it up time?

The first time you do it you'll think its the hardest thing you've ever done.  Then you will finish and realize it wasnt that bad.  It get's easier each time.  Get a manual so you have the proper torque specs and bolt pattern.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

davisriley wrote:

We don't have that year, but close.  check the wheel bearing, as all of ours were bad.  We had thermostat issues that had us almost overheating most of the event, and the coil failed, so bring a spare.  And according to the judges, all fwd celicas blow up, so bring beer for afterwards.  Good luck.

Wow.. didn't realize common problems.. Our 89 was at overheat level for 4 of 5 races even with a new radiator. Coil failed too, putting us way down on a competitive run. Sludge took us out at the first race and the Trans locked up solid in the waining hours of our last race (nelsons).... Lots of coulda/woulda/shoudas.... 7th is best finish so far IIRC.

Car is basically good/harmless. Lighten the shit out of it, put some ebay coil overs on, and throw the battery in the RR corner and you are good to go.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

12 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2010-02-05 09:29 PM)

ThePOS wrote:

We put in a new head gasket at Buttonwillows on Saturday and finished out the day and the rest of the race. We had practice in the shop before the race on another engine so it wasn't so bad. The cool thing is that we left the intake and exhaust manifolds on and removed all of the pieces together. Put them back the same way so we ended up using only a head gasket. Done in a 4-age MR2 for those interested, and the same engine and gasket finished Thunderhill with no issues. I think that's what puts the thrill in the race. Having challenges and still finishing. There are a lot of other teams that have done 1, 2 and I think one team has even done 3 engine swaps in one race. Ask Tarp racing if it's worth doing on day two, they got the "heroic fix" award at Houston for traveling something like 8 or 10 hours to get a motor back to the track to find out it only ran on two cylinders. They got the engine in and running with something like an hour left in the race. JThw8 is right you will want the manual with you at all times. The cool thing about running into issues is that it's like having a Thousand MacGyvers at the track. there is always someone who knows how to fix it, usually with JB Weld.

The cool thing about running into issues is that it's like having a Thousand MacGyvers at the track. there is always someone who knows how to fix it, usually with JB Weld.

Dont forget duct tape and zip ties!

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

JThw8 wrote:

The cool thing about running into issues is that it's like having a Thousand MacGyvers at the track. there is always someone who knows how to fix it, usually with JB Weld.

Dont forget duct tape and zip ties!

Zip ties are an aproved fix for Toyota, remember.

Bloomington, IN