Topic: New to racing

Not new to internet forums, but we're new to racing. We attended the Going For Broken Race as spectators last year in Reno/Fernley, NV and we talked with all the teams and they convinced us to try to do this so here we are. We want to compete in the Going For Broken race this year, but a little disappointed that it's not being held in Reno/Fernley. Why is that?

Right now we're three guys with no experience in racing, but willing to learn. We're all 24 years old and have very minor car work experience (tune-ups, brakes, etc.). We're trying to get more drivers. We have a 1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue (M-Body) for our Lemons car. It barely runs so we're going to work on getting it road-worthy first.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce us and hopefully we won't get on anyone's nerves with our n00b questions. smile

Re: New to racing

The best thing to do is take some sort of structurred on-track instruction with an organization like Hooked On Driving actually in the Lemons car. If not then in a street car. Also do the test day prior to the event. Proper instruction, seat time and track time will do ya wonders.

I agree with ifb_mole.  Get a track day under the LeMon's belt before bringing it to the race if you can.  This will help shake out some of the potential problems that could end your race.  Of course, it will also use valuable time that some of your other components will have before their inevitable failure as well. 

Welcome aboard!  Have fun!

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

ifb_mole wrote:

The best thing to do is take some sort of structurred on-track instruction with an organization like Hooked On Driving actually in the Lemons car. If not then in a street car. Also do the test day prior to the event. Proper instruction, seat time and track time will do ya wonders.

agreed 1,000,000%

Be sure to get ALL of your drivers some type of on track instruction...hopefully at the track you plan on racing at..in your race car....or any car really....  the more the better.... 

Perfect example.....I drove Sears Point for the 1st time yesterday...in the POURING rain....it sucked....but by the end of the day the weather cleared, the track dried out and my confidence got much better.....  To the point I feel I am ready to race...but I still will do the practice day, just to be sure....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

They're gonna race a Chrysler 5th Avenue. 

They already spectated once, they've got all the experience they need.

In the event the car doesn't crap upon itself.  Some HPDE time with the car will be the closest thing you're going to get to actual road racing.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

It's not at Reno/Fernley because they're currently not operating.  If you have a spare $38M then maybe you can help with the situation smile

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

Holy crap, I didn't know Reno-Fernley Raceway closed. Thanks for the heads up. I guess we're going to have to find driver training elsewhere. We're in Reno so it's quite a drive to use other resources.

You're driving a big slow car, which should mostly keep you out of trouble on track.  Get some driver training if you can, but don't stress about it too much. 

Since none of you are expert mechanics, I'd focus on getting the car reliable.  Best way to do that is to get it running and use it as a daily driver for a while.  Daily driving will show you if the car has major cooling problems, electrical problems, brake problems weird noises that you should investigate, etc.

I'd do that before you even put the cage in, just in case the car ends up being a basket case.

As a part of this shake-down process, have each of your drivers flog the car mercilessly at an autocross or two.  A good start toward your driver education.

I think you'd be better off doing "track school" events in a more reliable car.  You're going there to learn, not to work on the car.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

9 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-02-08 10:34 AM)

OK here's an idea for you guys.  Get the car as race ready as you can.  On April 16th Hooked On Driving has an event at Thunderhill.  I know it is a 3-4 hour tow, but I would recommend it.  You need instruction AND seat time AND track time.  Then when the Lemons race rolls around make sure you do the test day prior to the event. 

By doing the Hooked On Driving program you may also find some shortcomings in the car (i.e need better cooling and brakes are over heating). Between the HOD day and the actual Lemons event you can do some more work to the car if needed.

I know it adds some expense (HOD fee) and time (towing to and from Thunderhill) but the time and expense will indeed be well spent.  I can tell you from experience, seat time and track time WITH proper instruction is the best money you'll ever spend when you first start racing.

Way more important to knowing how to drive is this: spend money on brakes.   You see a lot of glowing rotors under big american cars at Lemons.

Ironically, not knowing how to drive might actually keep your team more cautious and out of trouble.

Good luck.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

11 (edited by pgeorgeson 2010-02-08 02:13 PM)

Fifthavenue,
We are in Reno as well.  We started the build for the RFR race, then switched gears a little when it closed.  We are now goign to try for Thunderhill the same weekend in May.  Let us know how the build is going. 

I just posted a team introduction on this forum under the thread:  "Introducing Team Special Deliverance and their Bavarian Ranchero"  (I am not smart enough to do one of those fancy links.) 

Most of our drivers have never been on a track before. We are thinking of at least doing an autocross or two (with Reno SCCA) with the car to let them drive it before the race and play with it.

Paul, aka BuFord Hogswaller:  Team Captain, Team Bavarian Ranchero and Team Pink Lloyd

I Googled "Hooked on Driving" and wow, it is pricey! Is that price for one driver? I see it has a selection for "guests".

pgeorgeson, it's nice to meet you. It's very rare for me to come across another person from Reno on internet forums. Are there autocross events in Reno?

fifthavenue wrote:

I Googled "Hooked on Driving" and wow, it is pricey! Is that price for one driver? I see it has a selection for "guests".

pgeorgeson, it's nice to meet you. It's very rare for me to come across another person from Reno on internet forums. Are there autocross events in Reno?

Reno SCCA runs local autocrosses.  Usually at the Stead airport.  Looks like they have an Autocross school in April and then a race the weekend before Thunderhill.  Check them out here:

http://www.renoscca.org/

Paul, aka BuFord Hogswaller:  Team Captain, Team Bavarian Ranchero and Team Pink Lloyd

We had two new  drivers with ZERO experience in any kind of race car with us this past weekend . Neither had a black flag and both were within a second or two of our fastest time (1.03). Just sayin'

The price for Hooked on Driving is really per car, you can share a car and split the track time fot the same price.  The autcross even is a good idea too since it's in Reno

ifb_mole wrote:

I know it is a 3-4 hour tow, but I would recommend it.

Personally, I'd KILL for a 3-4 hour tow. Try 12. Just sayin'.

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

In 2 years, we've had 3 drivers who were completely new to competitive driving.  They hadn't done an autocross, they hadn't done a track day, and they hadn't even seen the car until the day of the race.

Those 3 drivers racked up 1 black flag total, and at NL our 1st and 3rd-fastest laps (on a 6-person team) were set by the new guys.

There's always lots of slow cars at any Lemons event; you can always tuck in behind one and get a feel for how to drive, then speed up as you feel comfortable.  As long as you're out turning laps, you'll have about an equal shot of doing well.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Good tips! I'll have to pass along the autocross info to my buddies. We haven't worked on the car very much so at this rate we might have to pass on the Going For Broken race and aim for Arse-Sweat-Apalooza. We really don't want to sign up until we get the car driving around town for a bit first.

Getting autox/track time is definitely a plus, but I think the most important thing for new teams, especially ones with youngsters on it, is to really get everyone to commit to the long haul. This means getting everyone on the same page with estimates for car prep time, cost, travel, etc. It ain't rocket science, but we've seen more than one team fly apart at the last minute because some of the guys weren't as committed as the captain thought they were. Once you get a good group of guys, the rest will fall into place.

WTF is with ifb_mole giving all of this good advise? Are you trying to get Most Improved Forum Member of the Year (MIFMOTY) award?

Hey guys, Please dont hesitate to ask questions about racing, setting the car up, safety, go fast... ANYTHING. The cool thing about Lemons is that most of the people here are n00bs or were recently and we are always willing to help out. You won't see any threads on here where people are telling you to search because it's already been covered. We learn a lot from each other and it's a growing community that gets better every day.

That said, you'll blow up or crash within 20 laps but knock yourselves out!!! 

Oh yeah, and a GREAT theme is 99% of the race!

get your car road-ready, and take it out in rush-hour traffic for like a week. nail down your big issues and just hit up a Lemons event. all the autocrossing and scca and nasa and HDPE stuff only builds up the false impression that you might be better than other people, or you suck too badly to try. The noob teams are almost always the best-behaved at Lemons races. So, give your car a basic tune-up, throw on a water pump and new rad hoses for cheap insurance, and get the best brakes you can for your car within reason. after that, hopping in as a first-timer for Lemons shouldn't be hard, and with an endurance format you have plenty opportunity for seat time if you don't go balls-out every lap.

Very cool. It's nice not to encounter elitists who tell people to search. We're a bit concerned about the cost of the firesuits and helmets. I saw that there's a package for about $475 per suit (with helmet, firesuit, shoes, and gloves). Is that the usual going rate? Also, there seems to be prefabbed roll cages available, but it might work better if we fabricate our own since it is an old 4-door boat. Any tips about that? And regarding exhaust, can we just hack off the cat and muffler? Does the tailpipe need to extend past the rear bumper?

We've given a car new spark plugs, oil/filter, air filter, and cap/rotor. She starts up and runs well and doesn't stall out like when we got her. She still has the problem of tackling hills (topping out at 45 MPH and losing speed going uphill; doesn't help that the kickdown prevents it from going into 3rd when floored). Is this just a characteristic of cars of this vintage? Or is there anything else that might help?

On the suits buy them here or used if concerned about price.  The deal here is a steal compared to buying it ala carte.  Especially if you won't use it much after the Lemons events.

Roll cages are a hard one.  If you don't have any fab skills I would say find someone that does and have them do it.  If you do well then it becomes what can you so with what you have.  For instance if you have a bender why buy a premade kit and then have to modify it.  This is where an awful lot of guys have problems.  Especially on one off type cars and get saftey teched the most.  So be sure to have your ducks in a row here.  Pay someone to do the work if you are unsure for the first time.  Of course to me this was the fun of the build but everyone is different.

I'm gonna stay clear of the running issues... Just remember keep it simple.  The simpler the easier it is to fix if it breaks.  At our first race we saw some guys pull an SHO motor.  OMG that's skills.  We pulled our motor too and replaced the clutch.  Guess who's took longer?  ours was about 5 wires and four bolts.  So keep in the back of your mind if it breaks who is going to fix it and how long will it take?

Good luck.

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!

ifb_mole wrote:

Speaking as a Member of the Lemons Supreme Court, it is best to ignore all advice and/or posts by ifb_mole.

What do I mean? His team had so much "structurred on-track instruction" that we threw their asses on the trailer and sent them home early during their first race.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:
ifb_mole wrote:

Speaking as a Member of the Lemons Supreme Court, it is best to ignore all advice and/or posts by ifb_mole.

What do I mean? His team had so much "structurred on-track instruction" that we threw their asses on the trailer and sent them home early during their first race.

Johnny, that is true (team getting booted) BUT the team members guilty of those transgressions are NOT on the new team.  Furthermore I personally had NO on-track black flags also is any of the advice I have given on this "new to racing" thread unsound?  Finally, since I didn't have any black flags, but other team members did AND we got booted I know first hand what to do and what NOT to do.