Topic: Are Southern Lemons Drivers really better than the rest of you?

60 Cars
173 Black Flags

Even I can do this sort of math.

That's almost three blacks per car!!

Granted, at least three teams had seven.

As my Dad used to say, another theory shot to shit.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Re: Are Southern Lemons Drivers really better than the rest of you?

Wow, thats less than 3 black flags per car!

See, it's all in the way you say it.

we had 6 or more i think.........  lol  damn mustang.

#84 FusterCluck Mustang

4 (edited by racingralph 2010-02-08 07:00 AM)

which race has had the longest green flag run ? without a full course  yellow ? just wondering????               racingralph

Schumacher had 3 - a very unusual occurance for us.  Our team only had 3 in the last five races combined.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

There were some long green flag stints, way longer than in the Fall and our brakes paid the price BIG TIME.  Brake fire on Saturday, mush on Sunday.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

Methinks the rain and oil slick on Sat morning had a lot to do with the total.  But the area was somewhat busier than I had expected all weekend.

Scott B
KnoxVegas Leftovers
BetterOffRacing.com

8 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-02-08 01:23 PM)

Johnny,

What offense "earned" the most black flags?  Passing under yellow?  Body contact? Pit speed?  Dropping one or more wheels off the tarmac? Just curious.

we were Hoons.  i had two personally.  3 total over four events for me.

our team total was three i believe, unless you count Chantelle.  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

soldmystang wrote:

we were Hoons.  i had two personally.  3 total over four events for me.

our team total was three i believe, unless you count Chantelle.  smile

Really - they *had* to know that creating that 'penalty' was going to have predictable results wink

- shortest Dorifto Dog

We had no black flags in the coROLLa again.  Of course we grenaded the motor just before the four hour mark.  sad

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

We certainly had our share this weekend...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

13 (edited by Bonedriver 2010-02-08 04:19 PM)

I two on Saturday within ten minutes of each other for four wheels off in turn one. First one I went too hot into the turn on the inside. Second I cooked the brakes and they faded on me. Little too cocky and a NO experience in the car. Still due to our superhuman team captian Speedycop was able to pull us out of the pit I had thrown us in. He turned a 1:01:69 - second fasted lap.

I got back into the car on Sunday afternoon and on my last lap going into turn one the brakes just disappeared. NOTHING!!!! No fade, just flat out gone! I must have been doing ~50 when I lept from the track into the sand pit. I got it started, smoke poured from the right front when I hit the brake.

CatastrophicLEFT front caliper failure due to lack of pad... pics coming soon...

edit: it was the left not right front caliper...

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Bonedriver wrote:

Catastrophic right front caliper failure due to lack of pad... pics coming soon...

Same with us, except it was the left front.  Luckily Advance Auto in Camden had a replacement, but it cost us the last 30+ laps of day one.

With about 90% less cautions than the last CMP race we cooked our used Hawk HP+ paeds down to the plates and into the piston.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

it appears 3 blacks per race is about "normal"....since we had 3 at Arse Freeze but the average there was almost 4......so my goal is to ALWAYS be under the "average"

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Fortunately we had spare (front) calipers on the trailer... we lost a lot of time during Sunday's "quiet time for Jesus" break when we discovered our rear calipers were toast and had to send someone to Advance for new calipers and pads. That cost us, as did someone's (no names, TOM!!! tongue) cocking about and getting the calipers backwards.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

We steadfastly refused to acknowledge the establishment's definitions of the boundaries of the racing surface, finding them arbitrary and unnecessarily limiting to our team of free spirits.  The efforts of the oppressive authoritarians running the event to stifle our innovation and creativity earned us 7 flags, but we're nice guys and are willing to chalk it up to creative differences if we receive an elaborate apology engraved on a 12" block of platinum and delivered by really hot German beer girls.

P.S. - Did you guys weed out the mechanical black flags from the total? I mean, really, mechanical black flags should not be counted against the participants at a Lemons event.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Our only black flag of the event happened when "the Stig" was driving. It was mechanical though, we had just replaced the rear brake pads and there was a small problem that reared its head when he hit the brakes hard for the first time, locking up the rear passenger side, and resulting in a spin.

We shot ourselves in the foot.... 4 times.

The last one cost us somewhere around 30 mins building a frigging puzzle on the hood of our car while listenening to the other cars continuing around the track.  That was a brutal punishment.

The 4 black flags coupled with a flat tire on day one and we were glad that we were still able to finish in the top 10 (8th.)

Did you finish the puzzle? It seemed like we worked on the damn red section forever until they gave up on us finishing it and let us back on track. Either the that puzzle is missing some pieces or we are stoopid, and we all took a vote and decided that we're defiantly not stoopid.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

To answer some of the questions, mechanicals were NOT counted in the total.

The most common two were:
Spin and Continue
2 off/4 off

2 off is the same as four off

Next was contact, followed by very few passing under yellows.

I think our brainstorm of announcing that a yellow flag DOES NOT mean slam on your brakes has reduced the number of passing under yellow blacks dramatically.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:

To answer some of the questions, mechanicals were NOT counted in the total.

The most common two were:
Spin and Continue
2 off/4 off

2 off is the same as four off

Next was contact, followed by very few passing under yellows.

I think our brainstorm of announcing that a yellow flag DOES NOT mean slam on your brakes has reduced the number of passing under yellow blacks dramatically.

Yeah, we'll totally see how that goes at Sears Point.

Passing under yellows have accounted for 95% of our black flags, and the miscreants in question have been repeatedly reprimanded to no avail. It'd be GREAT if your judgly brainwave has a similar effect out West...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 144 races and counting.
2/25/24

Roger it was great meeting you guys in the pits, and listening to Cheeto explaining what the most recent penalty was for.   Best quote:  "But one was a mechanical black flag, so they let us back out..."

Did the car make it back home????

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Jer wrote:

We had no black flags in the coROLLa again.  Of course we grenaded the motor just before the four hour mark.  sad

Holy crap - that car can't catch a break!

I've got a 4A if you need it.  Cheap.  Lemons cheap.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

25 (edited by Jer 2010-02-08 05:24 PM)

Thanks, Dave!  I'll check with my teammates and see.  I've lost some of my enthsiasm for the FX16 for now and am focused on the Craptation and Miata.  I think a teammate is taking the lead on the possible rebuild effort.  It will take a whole motor, this one is completely ruined.  Rob has a motor for cheap we may try to run with, but it's good to know we have some cheap lemony options for future grenaders!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)