1 (edited by Lemonious Monk 2010-02-12 08:26 AM)

Topic: Fueling question

I've read a number of posts on the forums regarding teams using 5 gal racing fuel jugs to gas up their car but we are considering a different option.  The plan, if allowed, is to bring two 55 gallon drums of gas placed in the back of a pickup and use a lever actuated barrel pump to transfer the gas.  Has anyone ever done this?

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Re: Fueling question

Lemonious Monk wrote:

I've read a number of posts on the forums regarding teams using 5 gal racing fuel jugs to gas up their car but we are considering a different option.  The plan, if allowed, is to bring two 55 gallon drums of gas placed in the back of a pickup and use a lever actuated barrel pump to transfer the gas.  Has anyone every done this?

Team V-Ram has a 35 gallon tank in the back of their truck. They have used it quite a few times but mostly out of the truck.
Some tracks limit fuel tank size.
Some tracks allow hot pits which would mean you can't easily get your gas to the hot pit in a 55 gallon drum.
The best place for a big fuel tank would be when your fueling in your pit.
This can be a problem when you have 12' wide paddock space and the next team won't move their car for your truck.
Just a few considerations.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

We have used 55gal. drums at 2 or 3 races now. Once we had it in the back of a pickup in our pit. The other 2 just outside the pit lane with our 5 gal. fill jugs. MSR doesn't want 55gal. of gas in the pit lane.

We are planning the 55 gal drums in the back of a pickup also for Gingerman     I am hoping worst case scenario we park the truck wherever they are storing bulk fuel and leave it there  using a wagon to ferry the refills in 5 gal jugs to wherever we are allowed to refuel the car      any Lemons administration guys want to chime in on the feasability of this or fueling procedures already determined for Gingerman ?

spectator "Lamest Day 09",DNF "American Irony" 2010,DNS "Capitol Offense"2010,DNF "Gingervitis"2011,DNF"ShowroomShlock"2011 maybe someday....                                                                                     
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"luckily I didnt go into the mountain,.......I went over the cliff. I was doin 300 MPH sideways and 100 ft. down at the same time............"

Don't forget the bonding wire..one to the car one to ground. Jumper cables would probably do it...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Some tracks don't allow 55gals, and we don't have fueling rules for Gingerman yet. Definitely don't bank on being able to bring/use 55 gallons.

So, here's a related n00b question for you:

What do you do for acquiring fuel? I assumed there would be pumps on-site, but I suppose that might not be the case (or they might only have pricey race fuel). Do teams just run out to the local station with jerry cans between fill-ups? That seems tedious and inefficient.

Does it vary by venue?

Just bring more than two or three jugs.  They are pretty cheap.  Fill up at night during the break.  If you need more, then send a guy to the local fuel station to fuel up.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

If you're coming from out of state, you might want to check out the fuel transport laws along your route.  We had a place willing to donate the fuel for our Nelson Ledges campaign last year, but then we read the fines for improper transportation (like putting a 55 gallon drum in the back of a pickup) and exceeding the maximum allowed container size for transport and had to turn them down.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

I figured we'd transport the drums empty and then fill them at a local gas station near MAM.  We haven't bought the drums yet so the $40 we could potentially spend on that could go toward 3 fuel jugs if MAM doesn't allow the drums.
For you 4cyl guys who have previously participated, how much gas did you use for the whole race?

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Lemonious Monk wrote:

For you 4cyl guys who have previously participated, how much gas did you use for the whole race?

Our little 1.8 uses between 6 and 9 gal per hour depending on the track and yellows.

We are the people your parents warned you about.

pinkshinyalan wrote:

So, here's a related n00b question for you:

What do you do for acquiring fuel? I assumed there would be pumps on-site, but I suppose that might not be the case (or they might only have pricey race fuel). Do teams just run out to the local station with jerry cans between fill-ups? That seems tedious and inefficient.

Does it vary by venue?

At CMP, there is a gas station right outside the track.  Some teams literally just drove their Lemons car out the racetrack grounds, onto the highway and then into the gas station to fill up. LOL