Topic: Lemons-spec coolant pipe

We're going mid-engine and need to get coolant up front. I was going to use $.20/ft PVC pipe, but it seems it might not be able to stand up to the temps. Looking for more ideas.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Re: Lemons-spec coolant pipe

Crab Spirits wrote:

We're going mid-engine and need to get coolant up front. I was going to use $.20/ft PVC pipe, but it seems it might not be able to stand up to the temps. Looking for more ideas.

Check into using CPVC, which is designed for hot water.  I don't know exactly how hot, but it is designed for it where regular PVC is cold water only.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I would only use metal pipes with reinforced rubber hose connectors (radiator hoses)   if they go through the passenger compartment the tubes have to be metal or braided stainless.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

You can also use electrical conduit. This way you can weld a bead on any joint so that the hoses don't slip off.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Or leftover roll bar tubing

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

1 1/4 inch copper works well, can be a bit pricey though unless you "find" some

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Just remember that Nomex is fire resistant, not scalded by 180 degree water resistant.  Be careful.  This sounds sketchy

i woldn't use pvc or cpvc on a car. too easy to crack. best idea is metal conduit. braze the joints together. it's lighweight, will hold the pressure, and hold that extra 2 gallons or so of water everybody's looking for....

9 (edited by Woodstock 2010-02-12 05:49 AM)

I used 1 3/4" exhaust pipe ($ 8.50 for a ten foot piece) on the bottom "hose" and 1 1/2 pipe on the "top" just cut the original hose in the middle somewhere and use universal muffler hangers & clamps to secure. Then wrap with some type of flame retardant insulation. I ran the pipes under the body. Also don't forget about the wiring, fuel lines, p/s lines, vacuum for booster, ect..... What kind of "car"?

It Ain't My Fault

Absolutely exhaust pipe.  It will withstand the water, heat, pressure and vibration.  It is cheap, easy to work with and safe.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

That electrical conduit is about the same $8 price at home deep and seems easier to work with, so I may go with that. I have 3 houses here that are about to be torn down too. Definitely going to nab the hot water circulation pump from one.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Not to help your car be more reliable but iff you can; put the pipe at a slightly upward angle towards the radiator or make sure its perfectly level. You want the air to float away from the engine as the liquid is circulated.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

13 (edited by Spinnetti 2010-02-14 07:19 AM)

Modelwerks wrote:

Absolutely exhaust pipe.  It will withstand the water, heat, pressure and vibration.  It is cheap, easy to work with and safe.

+1

It was good enough for Toyota (MR2). I've used it before. Just use rubber hose for any turns (I go to the auto parts store and pick out a hose that has the bends in it I need), and pipe for the straights. Works great.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:
Modelwerks wrote:

+1

It was good enough for Toyota (MR2). I've used it before. Just use rubber hose for any turns (I go to the auto parts store and pick out a hose that has the bends in it I need), and pipe for the straights. Works great.

Mandrel bent piping with a decent welder works too...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:
Modelwerks wrote:

+1

Assuming you have a mandrel bender or budget to buy the bends and a decent welder (I do). But then if they have all that, they wouldn't be posting this question wink

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:
Riktor wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

+1

Assuming you have a mandrel bender or budget to buy the bends and a decent welder (I do). But then if they have all that, they wouldn't be posting this question wink

Decent exhaust shops have tons of scraps and will exchange said scraps for pennies on the dollar if you put their stickers on your car and maybe a patch on your suit. Just make sure to use nomex thread.

Sons of STIG

We have a buddy who works at Meineke. He offered to build our exhaust for free, but I turned him down in favor of a C5 system. Maybe he can handle this for us.

1969 Subaru 360

Crab Spirits wrote:

We have a buddy who works at Meineke. He offered to build our exhaust for free, but I turned him down in favor of a C5 system. Maybe he can handle this for us.

Have him charge cost of the metals and you're good to go.

Sons of STIG