Topic: Filler neck

Hello hello!

At the last race the little door in the filler neck of our Camaro got bent.  That stupid restrictor that is supposed to keep you from putting leaded gasoline in the car, you know what I mean.

ANYWAYS its all bent to hell now, and its a major restriction when it comes to filling the tank on the car.  Any ideas on how to remove it without pulling the tank out and/or blowing myself up??

I have thought about just peeling it out, but I'm afraid I'll send metal into the tank and kill my fuel pump.  I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to bite the bullet on this one and yank the tank, but if anyone has a better idea I'm all ears

Thanks.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Re: Filler neck

tie a wire to a small magnet out of an old speaker and set it in there....then use needle-nose Vise-Grips to tear out the plate. Avoid the actual flap in case you dislodge the small spring. Magnet mops up any stray bits.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

tie a wire to a small magnet out of an old speaker and set it in there....then use needle-nose Vise-Grips to tear out the plate. Avoid the actual flap in case you dislodge the small spring. Magnet mops up any stray bits.

DOH!!  Why didn't I think of that?

Sounds like a good idea  I think I'll attack it with a tin snips and use your magnet idea to get all the metal bits out of the neck.

Wish me luck!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015

We just knock it out with a screwdriver and hammer. The pump has a sock on it to keep from picking up pieces of metal. Live a little!

Plasma Cutter

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:

Plasma Cutter

That's just cruel.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
Riktor wrote:

Plasma Cutter

That's just cruel.

It would be a good show... Make sure to have a hillbilly record it so we can hear the epic comentary of said event.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:
Mulry wrote:
Riktor wrote:

Plasma Cutter

That's just cruel.

It would be a good show... Make sure to have a hillbilly record it so we can hear the epic comentary of said event.

make sure he has someone there to hold his beer while he does it

We pulled the filler neck off.  Didn't have to drop the tank to do it on the Civic.  Then we used a hole saw to cut out not just the flap, but to open up the hole to something approaching the full diameter of the tube.

Pulling the neck meant we didn't have to be too careful about metal shavings and that our chances for making the evening news was substantially reduced.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

On our car Ford decided a plastic restrictor that also includes the threads for the cap was a good idea...

Not that opening it way up will help much, the fuel fill lines are just over 1" in diameter to the tank.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

eljefe17 wrote:
Riktor wrote:
Mulry wrote:

That's just cruel.

make sure he has someone there to hold his beer while he does it

That's the guy with the plasma cutted... or the woman holding the baby.

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:

Plasma Cutter

Why am I NOT surprised that someone said that....I figured someone would also say blow torch.  But sorry, fur is flamable and roast rat does NOT taste good...trust me!

The post about a screwdriver & hammer is on the right track.
I used a 1/2" flat chisel(the type for metal, not wood, similar to a punch but it has a flat sharp edge rather than a point) and a magnet on a couple of cars with fantastic results.  Only takes about 2 minutes and nothing falls down into the tank.
Just go around the perimeter punching through the restrictor plate and then use the magnet to keep it from falling into the tank on the last hit.

Floor jack handle + hammer

Many times

Great success

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.