Topic: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

I'm surprised there haven't been any posts on this race (or at least I haven't been able to find any).

I had a great weekend---at long last, a Lemons field of a reasonable size! I saw mostly good and sane driving, which I attribute in large part to the fact that there was a manageable number of cars on track.

I dug up the results on mylaps (for some reason they weren't coming up in a normal search), and thought I would share the link in case someone else was having trouble finding them as well:  https://speedhive.mylaps.com/Sessions/4528843

Anyhow, it was a great time, and a big thank you to everyone for keeping it clean out there (for the most part!).

2 (edited by billybobster 2017-08-02 02:15 PM)

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

I was there and the racing was fun, with some nice multi-lap dices. Also only two attempts to run me off the road. But perhaps the posts are few is that people are still recovering from the heat. I for example am still having periodic hallucinations that I am Jack Parr.

12X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 TRUMPACO Merkur - '17 Arse-Sweat, Sears Pointless, '16 Pointless, Vodden, Arse-Sweat, Button Turrible, Arse-Freeze - 2015 Vodden, Arse Freeze. '96 Ford Taurus SHO Skunk - '17 Vodden (Hope for the Future award - not me, the rookies), '15 Pointless, Button Turrible.

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

It was a great race from the judges and staff perspective. Several very cool new teams, tight racing in Class A and Class B, and a Prius that truly did DOMINATE.

Bribes were kinda lame, to be honest, though, with some very notable exceptions: Electric Pit Bike from the Prius guys - awesome! Cooler full of ice from the 805 guys from SLO (sorry can't remember the team name). Another bicycle from another team I can't remember... Anyhow, bribes of alcohol are great and all, but to really get on the judges' good side, bring them good coffee in the morning, tasty lunch at lunchtime, etc. You know, stuff they can use. :-)

Also the kerfuffle over Turn 11's ahem, "limits" was pretty entertaining, but that's a post for another thread.

Bert One - 1981 Volvo 262c Bertone | Ernie - 1990 Nissan 240SX

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

skivittlerjimb wrote:

......  Cooler full of ice from the 805 guys from SLO (sorry can't remember the team name)...
Anyhow, bribes of alcohol are great and all, but to really get on the judges' good side, bring them good coffee in the morning, tasty lunch at lunchtime, etc. You know, stuff they can use. ..

That would be the Jackalope Jockeys...

20x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
3x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
1  I Got Screwed Winner    1 Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

5 (edited by kornfeld 2017-08-02 06:04 PM)

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

skivittlerjimb wrote:

Also the kerfuffle over Turn 11's ahem, "limits" was pretty entertaining, but that's a post for another thread.

I would love to hear the judge's perspective on this, and this is a great thread for it. smile

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

kornfeld wrote:
skivittlerjimb wrote:

Also the kerfuffle over Turn 11's ahem, "limits" was pretty entertaining, but that's a post for another thread.

I would love to hear the judge's perspective on this, and this is a great thread for it. smile

crickets...

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

It's safe to say our team had a blast! We were all Lemons rookies and this race was a great experience for us all.

Also glad we ran all day, both days and was able to finish. Faster drivers were super cool, as were the one we were able to pass. No BS.

Hot as hell though!

Hope we get picked for BW.

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

gump wrote:
kornfeld wrote:
skivittlerjimb wrote:

Also the kerfuffle over Turn 11's ahem, "limits" was pretty entertaining, but that's a post for another thread.

I would love to hear the judge's perspective on this, and this is a great thread for it. smile

crickets...

What is this alleged "limits" thing? is it the 11-12-13 chicane thingie?



From my brief experience working in the penalty box at Thill, the flaggers are the ones who call a violation a violation to someone in the tower, whether it be an off or puy or whatever. The penalty box simply reacts to the information that is sent to them from the tower, which is car number, violation, and location of the violation.

The flaggers working Thill this go-round were different from the flaggers who were working it earlier in the year. It's possible that whoever was running the tower for Lemons was also different.

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

The objective side of the story was that the large track-out/shoulder area coming out of turn 11 was being used extensively by lots of drivers on Saturday, as has been done in the past. The decision was made that drivers going past a certain point on that area (two white lines) would be black flagged for leaving the track. I'll leave it at that.

I'm still curious to hear what the judges perspective was on making that decision/delivering the message to the field/driver reactions/etc.

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

Ah. Sounds to me like discussing that is a no-win situation from at least one subjective position.


As a racemonitor spectator, I was totally digging on watching the Prius in the top 10 for a while and eventually finish 11th. While I've not driven THAT prius, I have driven A prius on a track and what they were able to achieve at T-hill was truly remarkable. I don't know what else was there, but from my distant perspective that seemed like an IOE-worthy performance: It FAR exceed all expectations I could have had for a prius! I think I noted that it turned the 56th fastest lap of 72 listed competitors on racemonitor yet it finished 11th overall. And it wasn't even pulling very long stints!

In my mind from my limited experience, a stock prius is a bottom-mid B car. Never in my imagination did I think it could ever be a Class B contender let alone win it.

And how embarrassing it is to have to say you were beaten by a PRIUS in a road race!

11 (edited by bottlingguy 2017-08-07 08:04 AM)

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

Spank wrote:

  The stock Prius: And it wasn't even pulling very long stints!

In my mind from my limited experience, a stock prius is a bottom-mid B car. Never in my imagination did I think it could ever be a Class B contender let alone win it.

I am pretty sure they were pulling 3.5 hour long stints in that prius

and about turn 11:  the race organizers say where the track is and everyone just has to comply with those rules. Just because you see there is a faster way through the turn it does not matter if that route is out of bounds.

1967 Volvo 122s IOE and C class winner with the transplanted heart of the 1800
1971 Volvo 1800 IOE winner! Killed by a k wall
1984 Volvo 245  Angela Lansbury *sold
Established 2011

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

I think in fairness to the organizers, they are either in the tower or in BF and don't really have a view of that spot.  If the corner workers don't call it in, how would they know people are using that area of track?  And this is true of any track and any particular incident that happens on track.  If the corner workers don't call it in, in effect it didn't happen because that is the only way race org knows what's going on out there.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita" 
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)
1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless)
1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites) (Sold -> Houston.  Gone and forgotten)

13 (edited by Spank 2017-08-07 10:38 AM)

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

bottlingguy wrote:
Spank wrote:

  The stock Prius: And it wasn't even pulling very long stints!

In my mind from my limited experience, a stock prius is a bottom-mid B car. Never in my imagination did I think it could ever be a Class B contender let alone win it.

I am pretty sure they were pulling 3.5 hour long stints in that prius

Their longest stint was 44 laps and, if you count the 7min pit stop, was 119min long so a minute shy of 2 hours.  Their 9 stints for the weekend were 31, 37, 31, 44, 27, 35, 30, 41, and 30 laps long, respectively.

Their fastest laps, a 2:31.6 was set at the end of their longest stint and whoever was driving that only turned TWO laps that were NOT in the 2:30-2:39 range. One was a 2:44 and the other was a 2:40.  I think they were cheating and using a self-driving car in order to get that robot-like performance!

Can you tell I am totally in awe of their achievement?!

I know the battery doesn't do squat after about a half lap. MAYBE they can get a 1-turn "assist" each lap after they can manage a bar of regen, but I'm pretty sure whey were running all weekend on like 2 bars after the 3rd turn on the track. Fuel economy was maybe around 15-17mpg. Certainly not 20.

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

I think the deal with turn 11 was that the track took the barrels or pylons that are usually there down, so it was just pavement with some lines on the ground.  Some folks were taking advantage of this and just straight-lining the corner, basically going all the way out to the dirt.  Some folks were still trying to respect the corner. 

The Prius guys were a class act.  Good drivers and a well prepped car.  It was obvious that they had experience.

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

Spank wrote:
bottlingguy wrote:
Spank wrote:

  The stock Prius: And it wasn't even pulling very long stints!

In my mind from my limited experience, a stock prius is a bottom-mid B car. Never in my imagination did I think it could ever be a Class B contender let alone win it.

I am pretty sure they were pulling 3.5 hour long stints in that prius

Their longest stint was 44 laps and, if you count the 7min pit stop, was 119min long so a minute shy of 2 hours.  Their 9 stints for the weekend were 31, 37, 31, 44, 27, 35, 30, 41, and 30 laps long, respectively.

Their fastest laps, a 2:31.6 was set at the end of their longest stint and whoever was driving that only turned TWO laps that were NOT in the 2:30-2:39 range. One was a 2:44 and the other was a 2:40.  I think they were cheating and using a self-driving car in order to get that robot-like performance!

Can you tell I am totally in awe of their achievement?!

I know the battery doesn't do squat after about a half lap. MAYBE they can get a 1-turn "assist" each lap after they can manage a bar of regen, but I'm pretty sure whey were running all weekend on like 2 bars after the 3rd turn on the track. Fuel economy was maybe around 15-17mpg. Certainly not 20.

Well I stand corrected! Thanks for the info.

You forgot to mention they had the stock AC in place and working as well!! 

They got us by 5 laps and I think it boiled down to better pit location (between track off/track in saves about a minute per stop) and not getting called in for any black flags (we had 2 *sad trombones*).

Super fun race with 70 cars and barely any yellows and we all cant wait to do it again.

1967 Volvo 122s IOE and C class winner with the transplanted heart of the 1800
1971 Volvo 1800 IOE winner! Killed by a k wall
1984 Volvo 245  Angela Lansbury *sold
Established 2011

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

What is the Official Lemons Position on track limits at T12 apex and outside between T14 and T15 (similar situation)? 

I'm just asking for a friend who may have put a wheel or two over the above white lines once or twice at Arse-Sweat.

12X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 TRUMPACO Merkur - '17 Arse-Sweat, Sears Pointless, '16 Pointless, Vodden, Arse-Sweat, Button Turrible, Arse-Freeze - 2015 Vodden, Arse Freeze. '96 Ford Taurus SHO Skunk - '17 Vodden (Hope for the Future award - not me, the rookies), '15 Pointless, Button Turrible.

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

billybobster wrote:

What is the Official Lemons Position on track limits at T12 apex and outside between T14 and T15 (similar situation)? 

I'm just asking for a friend who may have put a wheel or two over the above white lines once or twice at Arse-Sweat.

I thought the OLP was "nothing you read in a forum or on facebook represents OLP."

That guy

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

DirtyDuc wrote:
billybobster wrote:

What is the Official Lemons Position on track limits at T12 apex and outside between T14 and T15 (similar situation)? 

I'm just asking for a friend who may have put a wheel or two over the above white lines once or twice at Arse-Sweat.

I thought the OLP was "nothing you read in a forum or on facebook represents OLP."

Sposedbly Official Lemons Position?

12X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 TRUMPACO Merkur - '17 Arse-Sweat, Sears Pointless, '16 Pointless, Vodden, Arse-Sweat, Button Turrible, Arse-Freeze - 2015 Vodden, Arse Freeze. '96 Ford Taurus SHO Skunk - '17 Vodden (Hope for the Future award - not me, the rookies), '15 Pointless, Button Turrible.

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

It took me a while, but I finally did the Roadkill writeup on this race.

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

bottlingguy wrote:

and about turn 11:  the race organizers say where the track is and everyone just has to comply with those rules.

I completely agree.  The bolded portion above is the specific part I want to hear more about from the judges (or any other higher ups that want to offer their two cents).

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

And the first picture shows the area in question perfectly!
http://www.roadkill.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Top-4.jpg

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

kornfeld wrote:

And the first picture shows the area in question perfectly!
http://www.roadkill.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Top-4.jpg

Well, I'm not a Lemons Judge or anything, but looking at that photo I'd say the two cars on the left are getting black flags. If your line requires you to completely cross the rumble strips, then you probably need a new line.

Terribly Awesome Racing
Dozen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Re: Thunderhill/Arse Sweat

My thoughts on this,(for what it's worth),are "if it's paved,you can race on it..."
And that's what I did all day Saturday....
That being said, I respected the lines on Sunday ....

20x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
3x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
1  I Got Screwed Winner    1 Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)