1 (edited by Crab Spirits 2010-02-12 07:04 AM)

Topic: Sketchy budget line items

Just out of curiosity, are these acceptable methods of acquiring items when your budget is scrutinized? I wonder what the judges hear sometimes when it comes time to go through this.

-Using company acct discount.

-Outright stealing cars/stuff

-Modifying parts car components, then selling. I.E. modified spindles

-Buy new parts, then return with old part in box and other warranty scams

-Buy parts online, then don't pay

-"Hey, we're building a Lemons car. Donate parts." sent to 100+ friends.

-Is it sponsorship if they don't know about it? I.E. stealing from work

-Enticing items out of people by giving them the illusion they will join team

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Re: Sketchy budget line items

Most of those fall under stealing...  I heard Jay say words to the effect of : If we allow that, there would be nothing stopping someone from stealing a 911 and running that.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

3 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-02-12 07:18 AM)

stealing stuff isn't cool.  don't do it.

ripping off people by lying to them makes you a douche.  don't be one.

if you have legit access to a discount, good on you.  use it for all it's worth.

if you get stuff donated, you need to count the fair market value of what was donated.  plenty of people have try to get "donated" race suspensions and the like thorugh BS.  guess how that worked out.

you're not running the parts car, so I don't see how selling stuff off of the parts car would count towards your $500 budget.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

If we can't trust you off the track then how can we trust you on the track.
Just a side note: Anything that goes missing at the races "will be found" and all I can say is the poor bastard that took it is in for a world of hurt! Lemons is like family, if you steal from 'uncle Guido' the family will find you!

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

"Get your best mechanic and his favorite tool..."

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Just follow the rules.  Not so hard, then you don't have to worry.  Car will probably break anyway.  Remember, at the end of the race, you are racing a shitpile, with a bunch of lunatics also racing shitpiles, for nickles.  Nickles, dammit!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

You'd be surprised how much scrap welding cable and exhaust tubing you can get for free if you ask.

Done it on previous projects before!  They're usually lengths not long enough to be sold, but enough for the debauchery we subscribe to.

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)

No, I wasn't planning on doing any of the truly dishonest things I mentioned. Just curious what has happened before. I could totally see somebody campaigning a car they "found" for free, abandoned in a lot somewhere.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Crab Spirits wrote:

No, I wasn't planning on doing any of the truly dishonest things I mentioned. Just curious what has happened before. I could totally see somebody campaigning a car they "found" for free, abandoned in a lot somewhere.

Yeah...  Right...

Crab Spirits wrote:

If you thought of it that means you have considered it. It's not your morals keeping you from doing it... only the fear of getting caught. What has our youth come to?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

not to take this into a philospohical discussion, but if a car is truly abandoned, then it is not stolen.  taking something from someone's garbage by the curb isn't stealing.

12+-time loser

Buzz Killington wrote:

not to take this into a philospohical discussion, but if a car is truly abandoned, then it is not stolen.  taking something from someone's garbage by the curb isn't stealing.

Easy way to check is write down the VIN of said car. In Texas if it has been abandoned 3 days it will be towed. Usually gets a sticker the first day. If it comes back with a clear VIN and technically it falls within the abandoned property clause and can be retrieved and filed for lost title. If the previous owner doesn't dispute it (since a letter will be sent to their house) then after 30 calender days the state will issue you a title with proper fees paid.

So yes... taking cars off the side of the road isn't technically illegal but to do so you must have a Tow permit. Otherwise it is theft.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

...and if i want to claim an abandoned car in Texas, now i know how to do it.  i would point out however, that for better or worse, Texas law applies only in Texas. wink

12+-time loser

Buzz Killington wrote:

...and if i want to claim an abandoned car in Texas, now i know how to do it.  i would point out however, that for better or worse, Texas law applies only in Texas. wink

Texas law reigns above all others. Chuck Norris says so...

But yeah. With the exception of california and New York; I imagine the majority of the nation is relatively the same.

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:
Crab Spirits wrote:

If you thought of it that means you have considered it. It's not your morals keeping you from doing it... only the fear of getting caught. What has our youth come to?

I guess I need to change our theme then...
http://billionsconnected.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/Hamburgler.gif

FWIW, I've also thought of how I could kill somebody and dispose of the body so nobody would ever find it, without ever considering it. cool

1969 Subaru 360

Crab Spirits wrote:
Riktor wrote:
Crab Spirits wrote:

I guess I need to change our theme then...
http://billionsconnected.com/blog/wp-co … urgler.gif

FWIW, I've also thought of how I could kill somebody and dispose of the body so nobody would ever find it, without ever considering it. cool

Was there a specific target? If so then you have considered it.

Sons of STIG

No, just in general. This is why I can't watch any of these cop shows on TV. I just watch it and think about how this guy fails at being a criminal. I'm a problem solver.

Hahaha, OK, that didn't come out well.

1969 Subaru 360

Crab Spirits = Winston Wolf.

FWIW, thinking about how one could securely dispose of a body != considering killing someone, and also != moral acceptance of murder.  that is the biggest possible jump on the Jump to Conclusions mat.

Riktor wrote:

Texas law reigns above all others. Chuck Norris says so...

LOL.  but we all now know that Chuck Norris is one crazy bastard.

12+-time loser