Topic: How to deal with varrying sized drivers

So my friends and I attended the pacific northworst race and have decided to build a car for next years race.

I've been looking at seats online and one issue I'm having difficulty addressing is the seat size. The smallest driver on our team is about 150lb with the largest being 350+. obviously finding one seat that works for all of us perfectly is not possible.

I was brainstorming today at lunch and was wondering if there is any  solutions acceptable by tech for us all to use one seat. perhaps lining the seat in saran wrap and our pants in saran wrap then sitting centered in the seat and spraying expanding foam around us to create kind of a custom sized spacer to take up the space then use Velcro or something to custom fit the seat to whichever driver is in the car.

probably not a good idea but I figured I'd ask

Re: How to deal with varrying sized drivers

Custom inserts for the smaller drivers.
Grassroots Motorsports did an article on it.
Belts can be tricky, but sliding seat rails help with that.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

Sliding seat and we use foam inserts for bolsters and lumbar support.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

You could always go the extra crazy route and build a dual control car.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Final addition, if the size is that big a difference, mount two crotch straps.

cool. I didn't know seat inserts were a thing actually. all members of the team are going to buy one of those and we'll just swap them at driver change.

as awesome as a dual control car is. I don't think that its for us.

two crotch straps... got it.

thanks everyone. really excited to get into this. bummer is that I live about 300 miles from the rest of my team so I'm limited as to what I can do.

hegel wrote:

cool. I didn't know seat inserts were a thing actually. all members of the team are going to buy one of those and we'll just swap them at driver change.

two crotch straps... got it.

thanks everyone. really excited to get into this. bummer is that I live about 300 miles from the rest of my team so I'm limited as to what I can do.

Mostly you make your own inserts.  Varying methods but the most important thing is that it does not reduce the effectiveness of the belts (not too squishy).

On the crotch belts, if not obvious, you want one long than the other so the belts always sit low and tight but can still be easily easily "assembled" without giving someone a handjob.

Do not use Home Depot expanding foam for your inserts.  That stuff gets hot when it expands.  It also will break down into dust quickly.  There is specialty foam for this purpose but the last time I looked it was expensive.  I have no idea what material people use for inserts here.  Also, mount your seat slider on a ramp going upwards towards the steering wheel.  As you move the seat forward, it raises the seat so your smaller guys can see over the wheel.  It's going to be a challenge to find a seat big enough for someone 350lbs+.  You also want to brace the foo out of those seat mounts and go big on the hardware as that is a lot of weight to contain in a wreck.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

OnkelUdo wrote:

On the crotch belts, if not obvious, you want one long than the other so the belts always sit low and tight but can still be easily easily "assembled" without giving someone a handjob.

That's the best part!

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

cheseroo wrote:

It's going to be a challenge to find a seat big enough for someone 350lbs+.  You also want to brace the foo out of those seat mounts and go big on the hardware as that is a lot of weight to contain in a wreck.

Two of us are Big guys. Ultrashield goes up to an 18" wide
https://www.ultrashieldrace.com/catalog … o-Seat/166

Kirky goes bigger (20), but it's not a containment seat and is pretty flimsy so not good if you need it on a slider. It has to be bolted in the back.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

That's the best part!

To quote one of my female drivers, as I fumbled for the second crotch belt,  "Getting strapped into the Super Snipe is like a trip to the gynecologist!"

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

you are all awesome. I can tell already that the next year where we're building the car and asking questions is going to be a great time. We had a ton of fun just spectating at the ridge.

my advice, tell the 350lb guy to drop 100lbs. That is WAY too much a size difference to overcome. Unless the guy is 7' tall I also suggest a physical before he goes racing. 2 hours in a hot cramped race car can be taxing.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:

my advice, tell the 350lb guy to drop 100lbs.

As a big guy myself - trust me, we know we should lose weight.  Telling him is redundant.  If you want to 'help', provide encouragement about getting out of the house and into some sport/hobby that breaks the cycle of weight gain.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

my advice, tell the 350lb guy to drop 100lbs.

As a big guy myself - trust me, we know we should lose weight.  Telling him is redundant.  If you want to 'help', provide encouragement about getting out of the house and into some sport/hobby that breaks the cycle of weight gain.

Yes by all means one should be nice about it and help as much as possible. He'd also have to be able to get in and out of the car quickly in case of emergency... something I'm not even great at.

Cant go wrong with dual control

I had wondered about this as well. Right now I've got three probably 115# (soaking wet) girls (friends wives) and me and the other guy are 160-ish (max). Then we have a buddy who's really into it but... well, he buys two plane tickets when he flies.

I had thought about two somewhat "quick change" seats but probably wouldn't pass tech (too much room for error when changing quickly). Having been on the small end of foam pads, I think they suck. And at 5'8 & 160 I'd be the medium sized guy. What about the 110# 5'2" girls? Shit just doesn't fit right when you do that much of a size difference.

I never thought about dual control (saw the link) but I'd only be interested in it if it feel under the unlimited "safety" budget because that wouldn't be cheap... I've done RHD to LHD conversions. Dual control would be a no-way unless judges were Ok with it.

What about putting two seats on rails that slide with self-locking pins?

1215 wrote:

I had wondered about this as well. Right now I've got three probably 115# (soaking wet) girls (friends wives) and me and the other guy are 160-ish (max). Then we have a buddy who's really into it but... well, he buys two plane tickets when he flies.

I had thought about two somewhat "quick change" seats but probably wouldn't pass tech (too much room for error when changing quickly). Having been on the small end of foam pads, I think they suck. And at 5'8 & 160 I'd be the medium sized guy. What about the 110# 5'2" girls? Shit just doesn't fit right when you do that much of a size difference.

I never thought about dual control (saw the link) but I'd only be interested in it if it feel under the unlimited "safety" budget because that wouldn't be cheap... I've done RHD to LHD conversions. Dual control would be a no-way unless judges were Ok with it.

What about putting two seats on rails that slide with self-locking pins?

You could always bite the bullet and change seats when the BIG GUY gets in. It's a 20 minute job..if you  are just here to have fun there's no down side.

I had just assumed that you weren't allowed to change the seats because the car passes tech with the seat already installed. if that's an option then this just became a lot easier

hegel wrote:

I had just assumed that you weren't allowed to change the seats because the car passes tech with the seat already installed. if that's an option then this just became a lot easier

I would think that if you showed them at the tech inspection and explained things you'd be ok. I'll wager they'll just make you come for a re-check when you make the swap. That is much safer than using adjusters and inserts... going from 5'8 140 to 5'11 165 isn't a huge deal going form short and light to tall and heavy is. Also consider the height of the seat. the tallest driver has to have 2" of clearance. This might put the shorter peeps down to low to see over the hood.

Here is what we did.  We have drivers ranging from 5'7" to 6'3".  Our seat is on sliders with a 1-3/4" piece of tubing up front and a 2" x 1" piece of tubing on the rear (2" along the floor and sticking up 1") which gives us a rearward angle.  When the seat is forward, the shorter guys can see over the wheel, when its back, the taller guys have the 2" of clearance.

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

I don't think the OP's problem is height disparity as much as it is width disparity.  Ramping the sliders is always a good idea but an acceptable solution to a 200lb + weight delta is a bit tougher problem to solve.  I don't see how you easily get around ending up with a seat that doesn't properly fit anyone.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Which is something our team faces as well.  Its a little loose for the smaller guys and for me, being the more three dimensional of the team, it is a bit snug

Skip "Mongo" L.
Team DadBod

I think we're probably going to go the 2 seat route. its about 3 small guys and 3 bigger guys so if we position who drives when we shouldn't have to swap the seat every driver.

hegel wrote:

I think we're probably going to go the 2 seat route. its about 3 small guys and 3 bigger guys so if we position who drives when we shouldn't have to swap the seat every driver.

I'd just build 2 cars then.  Job done.

Gone bye-bye