Topic: 24 hours of Lemons highschool club

I have never done Lemons, but want to, and have been a huge fan for a while. I am planning on forming a team from students at my school to race in Houston (I'm in Austin Tx). What would be the best advice you could give going into this? Additionally, if we aren't trying anything crazy, what is the best way to enter for as cheap and reliable as possible? What are the estimated start-up costs, and given enough time, and manpower, do you think that it is possible to have something functioning and not exploding with ~15-20 relatively uninformed about car teenagers?

Re: 24 hours of Lemons highschool club

Cheapest way to get in is buy someone's car that's for sale, 1-3k, then 600 to get in, drivers fees 175 per and 60 comp license. Then consumables, gas, brakes, tires, ect. So... 5k for a nice round number.

There was a late 70's pickup truck that ran at CMP for a race or two that was fielded by a team of HS students and their shop teacher.  I know you kids these days think you know everything and what not, but it might be a good idea to find an adult sponsor who can help you navigate dealing with the rules and money and whatnot. 

Obligatory: Stay in school, don't do drugs, etc etc.  ;-)

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Up front warnings. It's not cheap to get started, at all. Plan on about $5k to get going, plus the cost of either renting or buying your safety gear. Can it be done cheaper? if you really try, yes, but plan on that number to be safe. Also know that while many people will say they are completely with you, once the request for money comes out a lot will bail. I will say that I think 15-20 might be too many people, but you can make it work. You don't want more than 6 drivers, you just won't get enough seat time (and you can't sign up more than 6 anyway). If you have some that want to drive and some that want to build that can work really well though.

I will ask, what do you want to get out of the whole thing? Do you want to learn more about working on cars, building up cars, and general repair? Or do you just want to go racing? Your answer will steer you in different directions. If you're trying to learn more about working on cars then by all means start fresh. Buy a car and go to town. Read the rules front to back 5 times to make sure you understand them all. Some things are worth paying for. If you're not a comfortable welder, pay someone to install your cage. Safety is not something to cheap out on.

However, if your goals are just to get some friends together and go racing, strongly consider buying a car that's already prepped and ready to go. You will still need to learn basic things to keep the car alive, but you won't have the initial worry of trying to get the car tech ready. Look for listings here and on facebook. Get their history, make sure it's been raced in the last year or two so you know it won't need too much updating to pass new rules.

I agree with the above on finding an adult sponsor. Someone with some car knowledge that can help you guys learn and get the most out of the whole thing.

Welcome and ask all the questions you want. The initial leap in is huge, but the payoff is great.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

TheEngineer wrote:

Up front warnings. It's not cheap to get started, at all. Plan on about $5k to get going, plus the cost of either renting or buying your safety gear.

A lot of people hear "$500 car" and are all ready to go until they find out it costs a_LOT_ more than that just to get started.  If you are comfortable with the bold text above, go for it, but keep in mind it's quite possible to spend that $5K and run just a few laps before it goes boom.  Be sure you know what you are signing up for when you decide to dive in.  As has been said, when it times to collect the actual money, most those 15-20 people you are talking about about will be hard to find.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

joey12725 wrote:

What would be the best advice you could give going into this?

As an Auto Shop teacher that has fielded a team with my students, the BEST advice I can give echos that of other posts here:
Find an adult sponsor, preferably one with a skill set that lends itself to racing. It's difficult to keep track of the big picture when it comes to everything that has to get done, staying within the budget, making sure that construction is moving forward in safe manner, and the end product is safe and reliable. READ AND RE-READ THE RULES!!! and the "HOW NOT TO FAIL TECH" guide.

joey12725 wrote:

(W)hat is the best way to enter for as cheap and reliable as possible?

Buy someone elses completed and raced car. If "cheap and reliable" are strong considerations for your team, this is really the only way to go. There is a steep learning curve, and many an unknown when you are new to race car building. Also, choose a car that is well supported in Lemons. Leave the weird, unloved cars to more experienced teams. I'd steer you toward a Honda Civic, a Crown Vic, or a Volvo 240. None of these are terribly sexy, but they are reliable Lemons race cars, with lots of junkyard support.

joey12725 wrote:

What are the estimated start-up costs(?)

You could post a WTB thread for your region, and entice someone into selling you their car, cheap.
You can definitely do this for less than $5000, not counting you entry fees or gear. You could probably build a car for $2500. The big expenses are the cage, seat, and harness. If you don't have access to a tube bending computer program, and tube bender, buy a pre-bent cage kit (Another reason to choose a well supported car.) Buy a used seat, and a new harness.

joey12725 wrote:

(D)o you think that it is possible to have something functioning and not exploding with ~15-20 relatively uninformed about car teenagers?

Yes, but, you have to have a project manager, and someone to double check student work. I say this from experience. Also, anyone who touches a particular part of the car, or a component has to be the only one to work on it. Otherwise mistakes are made. Students also tend to be forgetful, or distracted. You can't be. You wouldn't want a forgetful or distracted airplane service technician working on the airplane you were about to fly in. Racing is not much different.

Feel free to email me through the forum, and I can help guide you. Gotta go. Class is starting.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

7 (edited by VKZ24 2017-09-29 09:05 AM)

DelinquentRacer wrote:

You can definitely do this for less than $5000, not counting your entry fees or gear. You could probably build a car for $2500.

People tend to gloss over this, but it's a substantial number.  For (6) new drivers the cost just to enter is $2,010.  Add that to your $2500 car and you are already over $4500. So now those six drivers need to rent gear (I have no idea how much this costs since I own mine) and you are getting darn close to that $5,000 figured as stated earlier.

So assume at this $5,000 price point you have a car, team of six licensed & registered, with their safety gear.  What about the cost of race fuel?  What about the fuel cost of towing your race car to and from the track?  What about food for the weekend?  What about lodging?  Does every camp at the track?

I'm not trying to discourage anyone as we need new teams to keep the series going, but I hate to see someone go in blind not knowing what kind of expenditure this can be when you include EVERYTHING.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

8 (edited by gunn 2017-09-29 10:45 AM)

VKZ24 wrote:
DelinquentRacer wrote:

You can definitely do this for less than $5000, not counting your entry fees or gear. You could probably build a car for $2500.

People tend to gloss over this, but it's a substantial number.  For (6) new drivers the cost just to enter is $2,010.  Add that to your $2500 car and you are already over $4500. So now those six drivers need to rent gear (I have no idea how much this costs since I own mine) and you are getting darn close to that $5,000 figured as stated earlier.

So assume at this $5,000 price point you have a car, team of six licensed & registered, with their safety gear.  What about the cost of race fuel?  What about the fuel cost of towing your race car to and from the track?  What about food for the weekend?  What about lodging?  Does every camp at the track?

I'm not trying to discourage anyone as we need new teams to keep the series going, but I hate to see someone go in blind not knowing what kind of expenditure this can be when you include EVERYTHING.

Individual equipment Rentals run $200/event or approx $500 to buy + another $300-500 for a shared neck brace/hans
http://www.racesuitrental.com/
http://store.24hoursoflemons.com/produc … t1whel.htm
https://pitstopusa.com/i-21932751-z-tec … raint.html

Unless you've got a well heeled parent or group of parents who are willing to bankroll this endeavor OR you are some kind of kid with your own income stream and hardly any expenses (maybe a youtube celeb), I think it would be very, very hard to put together the kind of funding necessary to field your own team. Chances are, if you have a parent who is willing to bankroll this kind of thing, they are already involved in motorsports in some form (look at how dirt track or KART racing is very generational). If youare some kind of teenage youtube celeb, code monkey, or cam model (I'm not here to judge), then the argument becomes would you rather spend the 300+ hrs necessary to prep a car or doing whatever is making you money that is not school related to make more money?

You say you have 20-30 friends interested in participating. I'm sure all would be happy to take a wrench and break the glass windows of your new "racecar" and some will even be happy to help you strip it down. How many of those would be happy to painstakingly strip it without damaging the take-off components, inventory them, and resell all of the parts off that car to help bring your budget down? Of those diehards, how many would spend all of their weekends doing some other minutae of car prep instead of hanging out and playing games or trying to pick up women? Finally, how many of these would be willing to scrape up a few hundred bucks to help out without the opportunity to drive the car? Or, if you did promise them a spot on the drivers list, would they still pay if you or your other idiot friend balled up the car before they got to drive?

Realistically, there are so many other things you could (and maybe should) be doing with your time and income as a HS kid (or hell, even as a college kid) than to try and prep a car for one race. I didn't start with Lemons until in my 30s b/c by then I had a place to work on the car, the income to bankroll it myself, and perhaps most importantly, the time. I just checked and when I started with a running car and even with help from friends, I spent 262 hours prepping my car for the first race (not including research time). Also, $3500 after selling of nearly $1500 in parts from said running car (not including race expenses).

$5K could go a long way towards modding a car that you would daily drive, your college fund (aka, money you'd spend on tuition, room/food, beer & men/women in college), or even dates now (IIRC, HS dates are a lot cheaper than post college).

If you are still dead set on racing yourself, you migth be able to find an arrive and drive opportunity where someone rents you a spot on their car for $500-1K + your own equipment. That means you'd only need to scare up $1K-1.5K depending on how your do it for your first race experience.

PS. I love the example of this young (teenage to early 20s) kid in Finland. He clearly blows all of his time and effort on building up this Volvo turbobrick into an 800HP+ monster. It's a pretty good series but clearly, when you watch his friends, it's HIS project and his friends mostly hang around what I presume to be his parents garage messing around, handing him tools, and maybe occasionally helping him hold stuff. Watching him take his pride and joy to Gatebil (which is a crazy scandinavian motorsports festival) is fairly amusing and clearly what he wants to do. . IMO, the key takeaway here is that if you want to enter a Lemons race as your Gatebil, YOU are going to need to be the key guy. Also, this blue volvo is his DD. You might find for the time/$ spent (call it smiles per mile) you'll get far more enjoyment out of modifying your DD than making a "race car".

https://www.youtube.com/show/bamsesturbounderpants

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

Why not DD your race car?

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

mechimike wrote:

Why not DD your race car?

I know you are trying to be funny but for starters, there's something to be said about police stereotyping.

Just like being brown and driving a heavily tinted vehicle at night is going to leave a cop with certain "impressions", how do you think a cop will feel  when they see some kid driving a fully caged car on the street with a helmet on (so he doesn't brain himself against the bars) and using the 5pt harness?

Even if he's doing 25 in a 35MPH zone, I'll bet that any cop short of SpeedyCop (and even maybe him as well) will immediately think "hey, this guy thinks he's Kyle Busch." Should this kid get in an accident on the road (vs on the track), what do you think the other guy's insurance company will say?

Even if it might be legal, given that we are talking about kids driving around, I wouldn't do it.
-g

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

11 (edited by fleming95 2017-10-02 01:28 PM)

joey12725 wrote:

I have never done Lemons, but want to, and have been a huge fan for a while...

<snip>

Welcome - we've all been in your shoes!

As the other posters mentioned, racing takes time, $money$, and coordination - all of which can be spent on other. . . pursuits. . . than going around in circles in a heap aiming to 'win' a trophy that you'd need to sit people down to explain.

(and even if you get the message across, if you do 'win' in Lemons they'll probably think it's like taking pride in cleaning your outhouse twice in one day. . .'nuff said.)

But if you're the kinda guy who gets into being committed to a goal and owning the results of your labor, and you're finding a dearth of like-minded colleagues, this'll give you a place to find 'em.

Another way to look at it is this: there are some things that you just _know_ you'll do at some point.  If glorying in bringing back a car from the dead, and saying to yourself 'what have I done?' as you pull out from pit lane onto a hot track is it - well, then, all you have to do is choose the right time and place, because it's inevitable, ain't it?

<edit>

And if you like being a hero - who doesn't - here's your in:

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35620

15-20 people is way too many cooks in the kitchen. Honestly, 6 people in the garage can get pretty hectic. Even if you can get that many people working, nobody would do enough to feel that connected to the effort. I quit my first team largely because I got stuck painting the numbers while the people with "experience" and "jobs in the industry" did the actual motor work. I now build (and detonate) my own motors pretty much on my own and I find the experience much more satisfying.

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

VanillaHaze wrote:

15-20 people is way too many cooks in the kitchen. Honestly, 6 people in the garage can get pretty hectic. Even if you can get that many people working, nobody would do enough to feel that connected to the effort. I quit my first team largely because I got stuck painting the numbers while the people with "experience" and "jobs in the industry" did the actual motor work. I now build (and detonate) my own motors pretty much on my own and I find the experience much more satisfying.

Sorry you felt left out snowflake. 

But seriously, anytime we did have a build day where lots of folks showed up, Owen is not inaccurate.  As the least experienced wrench in the group he did often get sidelined (after driving three hours to help) to less critical jobs if more experienced folks were around.  Some people are good at being tool fetchers and just like being involved.  Others want to learn and if the team captain (me) does not engage them appropriately, they will lose interest.  On the plus side, we have all at Bad Decisions tried to stay engaged with Owen's fruitless efforts to field his own car...and we will stay that way because that is the community of Lemons.

Cars are easy...people are hard.

And we all know what happened when we DID put Owen in charge, don't we...oh, most of you don't.  He set our "spare" car ON FIRE!

In fairness Mike, I was setting your cars on fire from my first race, so you really should have known better that to put me in charge

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

VanillaHaze wrote:

You need 15-20 just to end up with the 3-4 who will actually stick with it I've found.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

It's about quality, not quantity.  Find 5 - 8 guys who are truly committed (i.e. ought to be committed - *grin* ) and you should be fine.

You people keep talking about this like it is an exclusive "guy" thing, don't leave the ladies out. I have met a lot of ladies at Lemons that are better drivers, welders and mechanics than most of the guys. The young lady that was driving for the high school team running the pickup at CMP was their best driver.

Now you have heard all the warnings and reasons not to form your own team. On the positive side, there are a lot of skills to be learned and each team member should be given the chance to try their hand at each. There is a lot of personal satisfaction in starting with a pile of junk and building it into a race car. Include the parents of each team member in the effort but don't let them take over. You are likely to find resources and a great enthusiasm for sharing the experience with your team from the parents.

If you manage to get it together enough to make it to your first tech inspection you are likely to find a lot of support from other race teams. They all understand how tough it is and want to see your team succeed. Show up early, talk to other teams, keep it simple and don't take it too seriously. Even when it all goes wrong it is supposed to be fun.

First off may I say wow, I did not expect more than 1 or 2 responses. As for the dedication aspect, I am not too concerned. On my end, I have done no shortage of 500+ hour projects (I build lots of drones and code). I spend all of my free time working on various projects, and this would be my biggest by a sizeable amount, though also by far the most exciting. As for others, my school, they are in similar situations and have also been wanting a way into Lemons as much as I have. Money is probably our biggest issue. Part of why I want at least at the beginning a large following is to try and get some of the maker space funding put into this. Our school has a very, very well funded maker space (Michale dell's kids went there and left a lot of donations behind). Ideally, the school will pay for the car and I will cover race fees, suit rental etc. w/ summer job, as well as computer odd jobs, mostly I have found I am able to charge ~$150 to get rid of someone's cable, set up a Roku, and find a good combination of streaming services, and provide a year  of free IT for it, so basically as you said, a

code monkey

. in my first draft, excel sheet not accounting for gas, I am already at 3k (after a few readings of the rulebook, but I know for a fact I'm missing stuff.)  The issue of too many people does not concern me too much as a) many will be flakey or quit after day 1,  and also I only want 5 or 6 actually doing anything of any importance to the functionality of the car. Most of the people are art students who want to paint it and things of that nature, or people designing custom peripherals, and things not crucial to the car's ability to drive. (I have a friend who wants to build a system to do lap tracking, car stats, location, speed, things of that nature remotely using a spare galaxy s2) .  Also, we would use a civic or something easy. I, nor anyone I know is capable of building a completely custom roll cage. Thank you so much for all of the help, seriously, this was incredibly helpful.

19 (edited by gunn 2017-10-06 10:59 PM)

joey12725 wrote:

First off may I say wow, I did not expect more than 1 or 2 responses. As for the dedication aspect, I am not too concerned. On my end, I have done no shortage of 500+ hour projects (I build lots of drones and code). I spend all of my free time working on various projects, and this would be my biggest by a sizeable amount, though also by far the most exciting. As for others, my school, they are in similar situations and have also been wanting a way into Lemons as much as I have. Money is probably our biggest issue. Part of why I want at least at the beginning a large following is to try and get some of the maker space funding put into this. Our school has a very, very well funded maker space (Michale dell's kids went there and left a lot of donations behind). Ideally, the school will pay for the car and I will cover race fees, suit rental etc. w/ summer job, as well as computer odd jobs, mostly I have found I am able to charge ~$150 to get rid of someone's cable, set up a Roku, and find a good combination of streaming services, and provide a year  of free IT for it, so basically as you said, a

code monkey

. in my first draft, excel sheet not accounting for gas, I am already at 3k (after a few readings of the rulebook, but I know for a fact I'm missing stuff.)  The issue of too many people does not concern me too much as a) many will be flakey or quit after day 1,  and also I only want 5 or 6 actually doing anything of any importance to the functionality of the car. Most of the people are art students who want to paint it and things of that nature, or people designing custom peripherals, and things not crucial to the car's ability to drive. (I have a friend who wants to build a system to do lap tracking, car stats, location, speed, things of that nature remotely using a spare galaxy s2) .  Also, we would use a civic or something easy. I, nor anyone I know is capable of building a completely custom roll cage. Thank you so much for all of the help, seriously, this was incredibly helpful.

You think your HS will pay for a crappy car for their students to race?
I haven't lived in Austin for nearly 20 yrs now but I'm guessing that even if you go to some private school (St Andrews, St Stephens, Hyde Park, or whatever) that will be a tough sell. You're far more likely to be able to get some rich parent to throw you an extra beater car.

Of the $3K, how much did you budget for the cage? I'd expect to pay $1500-2K to get that built.
$200 for quality front race pads (porterfield r4e compound, Raybestos ST43, or Carbotech RP2)
$500 new tires
$100-300 for at least two (preferably 4) spare wheels/tires
$100 for used race seat
$100 for new belts
Assuming that you are starting from a good, working car, this has already blown your budget without account for new fluids and all sorts of the little things like the kill switch, the big fat cables you'll need for the killswitch wiring, gauges, or any decent upgrades that are in/out of your budget.

Example: before you buy your "race pads", often you can find calipers and/or a "big brake upgrade" by finding parts from a bigger car that will bolt onto you existing car. I was able to upgrade my tbird's single piston fronts to dual piston calipers w/ 50% larger pads by swapping calipers and brackets from a 99-04 Mustang GT. You can do similar stuff with the Civic (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspensio … s-3044628/) but this upgrade still costs money even if it's budget exempt.

Let's not forget tools. Without even starting on power tools (like an impact gun/angle grinder/drill from someone like Makita), a decent collection of hand tools (ratchets, sockets, deep sockets, wrenches, sledge, torque wrench, etc) will cost you hundreds if not thousands more even if you buy harbor freight/sears/lowes grade stuff and there's very little overlap except maybe with the electrical/soldering stuff with the drone stuff you already have today. Even if you have access to a full auto shop's worth of tools at your school (which would surprise me for a private school vs a vocational one), what are the chances that the school will let you take them out to a race track for the weekend?

Buzzkill.  I say let them find the potholes.  We can let them know they are there but no reason to discourage them.  If you get Parent A to kick in a kill switch, parent B the wiring, etc, you can get there.    Maybe one of the parents has a car they can kick in.  Maybe it's not the car of choice but it'll help the budget.  Maybe get a prebent cage and dad-network to find someone to weld.  We need more vo-tech type projects for younger people.  Even if that's not their career path, it teaches solving logic problems which can only be helpful in life.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

Buzzkill.  I say let them find the potholes.  We can let them know they are there but no reason to discourage them.  If you get Parent A to kick in a kill switch, parent B the wiring, etc, you can get there.    Maybe one of the parents has a car they can kick in.  Maybe it's not the car of choice but it'll help the budget.  Maybe get a prebent cage and dad-network to find someone to weld.  We need more vo-tech type projects for younger people.  Even if that's not their career path, it teaches solving logic problems which can only be helpful in life.

+1

I know I'd donate an unreasonable amount of time, tools, and materials to helping a local group of kids get started on a Lemons build. Heck, I'd probably fund the whole build.

gunn wrote:

Of the $3K, how much did you budget for the cage? I'd expect to pay $1500-2K to get that built.
$200 for quality front race pads (porterfield r4e compound, Raybestos ST43, or Carbotech RP2)
$500 new tires
$100-300 for at least two (preferably 4) spare wheels/tires
$100 for used race seat
$100 for new belts
Assuming that you are starting from a good, working car, this has already blown your budget without account for new fluids and all sorts of the little things like the kill switch, the big fat cables you'll need for the killswitch wiring, gauges, or any decent upgrades that are in/out of your budget.

- You don't need racing brake pads. Good street pads are fine for the speeds you'll be driving. Scrounge some from a You Pull It wreckiing yard, and get spares. I gave a set of our spare, used race pads away to another team, once. They had been using O'Reilly-sourced pads, but the pad is one make only, and the local stores didn't have any.
- You don't need to spend $500 on tires. I sold some one 8 of our take-offs with three race days on them for $10 ea., and they still had a good one or two race days in them. Hell, I picked-up 8 wheels and tires here for free. All I had to do is haul them away.
- Yes you need a seat. I have a used one that I would give away to a high school team. I bet other racers, not just Lemons-folk, would, too.
- Gotta buy belts. They're too important not to.

The point is, it's all doable. Tools can be borrowed, Moms, dads, aunts and uncles, grandfolk, etc. can all be counted on for $20 here and there for fluids, parts, and sundries.

As long as your expectations are reasonable, you plan your work and work your plan, and you ask for help, a HS-built Lemons cars is possible.

Hell, start a Go Fund Me, post to this forum, and you'd likely get a good chunk of change from this community.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

cheseroo wrote:

I say let them find the potholes.  We can let them know they are there but no reason to discourage them.  If you get Parent A to kick in a kill switch, parent B the wiring, etc, you can get there.    Maybe one of the parents has a car they can kick in.  Maybe it's not the car of choice but it'll help the budget.  Maybe get a prebent cage and dad-network to find someone to weld.  We need more vo-tech type projects for younger people.  Even if that's not their career path, it teaches solving logic problems which can only be helpful in life.

+ Many

Spank wrote:

+1

I know I'd donate an unreasonable amount of time, tools, and materials to helping a local group of kids get started on a Lemons build. Heck, I'd probably fund the whole build.

Of course you would.
Me, too.

gunn wrote:

Example: before you buy your "race pads", often you can find calipers and/or a "big brake upgrade" by finding parts from a bigger car that will bolt onto you existing car... You can do similar stuff with the Civic (https://honda-tech.com/forums/suspensio … s-3044628/) but this upgrade still costs money even if it's budget exempt.

This is GREAT advice. It'll make your cheap brake pads last longer, too.

Capt. Delinquent Racing

Hell, start a Go Fund Me

I actually had this idea earlier today, and I totally will. It is a lot of money to try and get on my own, and with any luck, a not insignificant amount can be covered by that. I ended up drafting something for a go fund me page, and am just waiting to actually make sure this is something I can go through with. I feel that starting a GoFundMe is a point of relative no return.

$200 for quality front race pads

I had not even considered this expense at all. How necessary is that if the car already has good street brake pads?

Let's not forget tools. Without even starting on power tools (like an impact gun/angle grinder/drill from someone like Makita), a decent collection of hand tools (ratchets, sockets, deep sockets, wrenches, sledge, torque wrench, etc) will cost you hundreds if not thousands more even

I do have all of the tools you listed, though I anticipate another 200 minimum.

Thanks for all the help!

Don't try to use street pads.  Sure, it may work out for you, particularly if all your drivers are, like, slow.  But it is more likely to cost you money (and time on track which is also more money than one might expect*).  Just pop for track or race pads, even if they are Hawk Black.  They are budget exempt for a reason because they are in fact safety items.  They also happen to be performance items, so yay for that.

* Fees alone account for almost $2 per minute, so doing a pad change while the track is hot does not make financial sense**.

** I recommend not getting in the habit of making these sorts of cost-benefit analyses***.

*** Though for shits and giggles one might estimate the cost**** to the Lemons community of a single lap under full-course caution some time*****.

**** Cost here being taken to mean reduction in "value" relative to "racing".

***** Your results will vary greatly depending upon number of entries, etc., but it's a big number regardless.