1 (edited by shoeish 2010-02-14 10:45 PM)

Topic: Souther Discomfort Race Report: Holy Shit we Won

(Thanks for pictures Jalopnik and somebody else on these forums)

I woke up, thinking I was having a nightmare of flying to yet another Lemons race, to fix cars, watch other cars race, and maybe get some track time in, with not real hopes of winning.  As my eyes opened, I realized I was indeed on a plane, and headed to yet another Lemons race.  At least I packed rum.  Stupid dry county, anyway.

I arrive at the track in time to see the green flag wave, as our first driver (Matt) already circulating on the track.  I'm on deck, the team manager (Rob) already stressed with our new expensive radios' unwillingness to work.  The white reflective tape and orange towel it is for communication. 

http://www.shoeish.com/uploader/images/saab1.jpg

Two hours goes by, most of it trying to tell our driver to speed up, as we were getting lapped by the leading cars like no other.  We were out of fuel, and we needed time to be made up to get back in contention, and I was on deck.

The car pulls in to the hot pits, we do a 2 minute fuel stop and driver change (pretty good being that the driver can not be in the car while the gas cap is off), and I'm off.

I notice right away the car feels fantastic.  Well, it feels like a hollowed out 1985 Saab 900 turbo should feel like, at least.  190hp and 2100lbs on the best tire the treadware rules allow, let us catch up.

Driving around I have a few good laughs from novice drivers, expertly decorated cars, and general hoonage taking place.  I am catching and passing cars like they were running under yellow.  I am slowly putting laps on the race leaders.  I am a driving god.  I am 'Hot Shoe.' I get and have the fastest lap of everybody until about an hour left in the day.  I am loving life, for this is what I live for...  work through the week, play on the weekends.  And then I blow a tire.  This is after, mind you, I was picking my brake points based on how hard the car was vibrating the holy hell out of my eyeballs, not visually.  At least it didn't blow and send us to the dirt, causing a black flag/penalty.

http://www.shoeish.com/uploader/images/tire.jpg

I pull in, we do a driver swap (to Claude Jr) and epic tire change.  It only costs us 3 laps.  We were going to have the  next driver pull in for a fuel stop, but realize we are close enough to the pit window to finish out the day with only one more fuel stop.  The organizers extend the day 30 minutes.  We beg them not to.  They tell us to quit whining and race.  We finish the day on fumes, and better yet, leading the race by three laps.  Claude Jr. was exhausted, he was in the car for 3.5 hours with very few yellow flags.

The tire I blew was from lack of negative camber, so that night we decide to have dinner, then go back to the track and modify the front left lower control arm to allow for more adjustment.  We gain 1.5 degrees, go to test the car, and our friend 'spark' had decided to go home for the night.  We spend an hour chasing him down, test the car around the paddock,  and go home.

The next morning, I arrive 30 minutes before the race, before 'spark.'  With the organizers calling us multiple times to get our asses to pole position, we chase the gremlin down and are three laps late getting to the track.  The track doesn't allow any racing between 11:00am and noon, so Sunday schedules two hours in the morning, the hour break, then five hours after noon.  That means only one fuel stop during racing for us.  We think.

After the first two hours, Matt pulls in we swap the front left tire to the best tire we have left, do some math and realize the fast bastards in the endurance-karting.com Miata are going to catch us and win by seconds.  We know we have to pick the pace up.  The call for 'Hot Shoe' is in.  My turn, this is what I do.  Miata, here I come.

http://www.shoeish.com/uploader/images/mazda1.jpg

My driving is a match for the fast Miata bastards.  We have some epic battles, as I have the horsepower to get around other cars, but shitty brakes.  The Miata has equal handling, great brakes, but is unable to dispatch lap traffic.  I can get ahead, and use other cars as a buffer to "block." In open track I get out-braked and passed.  He pulls away, until a yellow flag groups us together.  While he is sleeping for the green, I pass him and seven more cars.  I laugh my ass off.  It took him many laps to catch back up and pass me again, probably the better part of an hour. 

http://www.shoeish.com/uploader/images/imgp0798.jpg

Nearing the end of the fuel and two hours and forty five minutes of driving, I realize the rear tires are flat spotting and not feeling just right.  With only 20% of the cars weight over the back tires, "who the fuck knows" is an understatement as to what condition the tires may be in.  I pull in, we fuel, the car took our whole jug, it has never done that.  We make a judgement call to not take the time to top the car off, time that may cost us too much time in the very close race. We swap drivers to Claude Jr and head back out.

At this point, with 2 hours 15 minutes left, the standings show that we were now behind.  The Miata was ahead of us and pulling away, but they had a fuel stop and driver change yet, we were set for the duration, provided the car didn't have a secret affair with Murphy.  It was going to be close, way too close, and we were in 2nd. We wanted first.

Before Claude Jr went out, we told him to not skid the back tires any more, but haul ass.  We didn't tell him I had flat spotted through the nylon cords or that he may or may not have enough fuel.  It was going to be close.

The Miata came in for the their scheduled fuel stop and driver change.  We were biting our nails and had nearly accepted defeat.  Lady Luck ditched them and came over to our side when they were caught passing under yellow and were black flagged, a simple stop and go.  We sacrificed an elephant, it worked, and the Miata lost all of their gears except 3rd.  They could only keep up, and not pass.  They didn't have a prayer of passing and lapping us for their 2 laps back.  We were again in the lead and were going to keep it.

All our car had to do now was not fail.  Or blow a tire.  Or get hit by other cars.  Or start on fire.  Or run out of gas.  Or poison/gas the driver.  It didn't.  We took the checkered flag on fumes and with a blister on the rear tire through the cords and steal belt. 

We won 24 Hours of Lemons.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZsPAz_8 … re=related
http://www.shoeish.com/uploader/images/nickle.jpg

2 (edited by icemang17 2010-02-14 11:02 PM)

Re: Souther Discomfort Race Report: Holy Shit we Won

Congratulations!!!!  You did it...IN A SAAB no less....wow

it just goes back to the old "fast (unreliable) vs slow (reliable)" argument....  but this time the bunny gets the nickels!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I've said many times....our car will probably blow up....but we are gonna pass a bunch of cars while it runs!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Nice read!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_drsACX1RqfU/Srg1XpfxTsI/AAAAAAAADSQ/hyroWwpLr6E/s320/Oprah%27s+Book+Club.jpg

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Congratulations on a well-deserved win!

I was wishing for one more hour Sunday afternoon.......

William
Team SOB

Hats off to you guys!  Good, fast, clean driving!!!

If we were wishing for stuff, I wish they would have stopped at 5pm on Sunday, that would have saved us about 30 laps sad  The best part is, there is always next time.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

hahaha "Miata bastards!" LOL  good read, perfect weekend for you guys.  nice work.  I just would settle for our car lasting the whole race.  grrr

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

congrats on the win.  you guys drove clean and fast.

that's me you're passing in the one pic...b/c our car was so slow on Sunday (hello, low-compression boosted engine with no boost), i spent most of the time trying to make sure i wasn't in the way of you guys or the EK miata.  good times.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

You give us all something to aspire to...

ROFLMAOPIMP!!!

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Congrats!

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Hurray! First victory for Saab! The future of the make is now secure!

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

You guys drove very cleanly, and won with a car that no one but you thought could win. Kudos!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:

You guys drove very cleanly, and won with a car that no one but you thought could win. Kudos!

Totally agree with that. The car has always seemed to be there in the races where it has held together. Everything just feel into place for you this time. Hopefully you guys can find away to get more weight to the rear end of the car while keeping the same weight to possibly help with the rear tire situation.

Congrats to you fellow Swede-drivers.  Much props for keeping the car together and running fast laps both days.  I had some fun battles with you when i was out there and thought you drove very well.  It never failed to amuse me when you'd lock up the brakes and lift a wheel going into nearly every turn on the course.

Swede Sixteen Racing - 85 Volvo 740 - Southern Discomfort '10, South Spring '10, South Fall '10,
Southern Discomfort '11 (GRM Most from the Least Winner), Shine Country Classic '11
Quattro Libre Racing - 82 Audi Quattro - South Fall '09

Great race, congrats! 

PS: be nice to us Miata drivers, even us half Miata drivers

-Mike
Junk Works Racing Team Captain
Lemons South Spring '09 SR-71 BlackBird Finisher
Southern Discomfort '10 E-30ata 4th place

great win guys! i always knew you could do it! I remember first facing you guys at flat rock. again at the first cmp race pitted next to us, and i was pretty worried when i saw the car parked @ Toledo. Very deserving, and am happy to see you finally had it all come together!

Great report!! You know Lemons isn't about winning it's about having fun, unless of course you win it!!  Great job.

Thanks all, it was a lot of fun.  Tons of great racing out there, lots of fun battles through my 4+ hours of track time.

shoeish wrote:

I notice right away the car feels fantastic.  Well, it feels like a hollowed out 1985 Saab 900 turbo should feel like, at least.  190hp and 2100lbs on the best tire the treadware rules allow,

Wow.  How many of us had 190HP and 2100 lbs to work with?  Talk about bringing a machine gun to a knife fight.

Hats off to you guys for the win nonetheless.  You guys ran clean when I was out there which is all I will ask from any of my fellow competitors.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

We had 115 HP and 1600 pounds.  Not sure about the 115 HP, though.  LOL

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

Our car is 2320lbs (empty) and *had* 135bhp when it was new...21 years ago.  It still runs OK, but to get below 2,000 lbs we'd need to remove the hood, roof, and trunk...which we won't... and I don't think you should be allowed to do anyway.  Assuming we couild get the owere to the ground we would be flying with another 55bhp for sure.  The classic 1-wheel-peel is our limiting factor right now though.  Damn right hand turns!

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:
Jer wrote:

Our car is 2320lbs (empty) and *had* 135bhp when it was new...21 years ago.  It still runs OK, but to get below 2,000 lbs we'd need to remove the hood, roof, and trunk...which we won't... and I don't think you should be allowed to do anyway.  Assuming we couild get the owere to the ground we would be flying with another 55bhp for sure.  The classic 1-wheel-peel is our limiting factor right now though.  Damn right hand turns!

Weld the DIFF....

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:

Weld the DIFF....

No way...especially in a FWD car.  Our car rotates nicely off throttle now and we don't want to change from that to "pushes like a dump truck".

Captain

VKZ24 wrote:
Riktor wrote:

Weld the DIFF....

No way...especially in a FWD car.  Our car rotates nicely off throttle now and we don't want to change from that to "pushes like a dump truck".

It would make it more entertaining for us...

Sons of STIG

You lost me at "I woke up thinking"

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

the head wrote:

You lost me at "I woke up thinking"

That's why I included pictures.  big_smile