Topic: Lady Luck smiles down upon Speed Holes Racing!

So, we got a pleasant surprise this Saturday...

So far, our "promised-to-be-good" engine has not been run, since it was in a wrecked, half-parted-out, 200,000 mile truck with no transmission.  Two weeks ago we slung the beast into the chassis and fabbed engine and trans mounts; so far, so good.

Well, our engine location dictates the fabrication of a new oil pan sump (for ground clearance purposes), so we figured there'd be no better time to pull the pan and check out the condition of the bottom end. 

After scraping 1/2 inch of scuzz from the pan rail, off comes the pan, and.. well, we were all amazed.  I have hardly ever seen an engine as clean as this!

Next thing:  Double-row roller timing chain.  Hey, that ain't factory!  Further de-scuzzification of the pan revealed a Jasper decal.  Aha!

Well, I called the fleet manager who was responsible for maintaining this truck, and after digging through the service records, he found that the engine was replaced at 150,000 miles, about 3 years ago.  Since then it has been serviced every 3k.

We were gonna put a timing chain and an oil pump in it, and check out the bearings, but now there's really no need.  Maybe now we can afford DOM for the cage!

Anyway, we paid $100 for the truck and it'll be worth more than that at the crusher, once it's piled full of the unnecessary Marlin stuff.  That ain't a bad deal in my book! smile

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Re: Lady Luck smiles down upon Speed Holes Racing!

What a find!

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)