Topic: Probably been asked before

Me and my friends are about to purchase a 1984 Rabbit for $600. However, it comes with a 1989 cabriolet parts car. If we sell parts from the parts car, can it be deducted from the cost?

Re: Probably been asked before

What I heard was "I bought an '84 Rabbit with ALOT OF SPARES". 

I believe recouping money on parts that came with the car is kosher, eh Lemoners?

Yeah, you can sell stuff off the parts car. Just be sure to document the living shit out of all the transactions, and if that means taking photos of the money and parts changing hands (in addition to receipts, eBay screen grabs, etc) you should do it.

Since you are buying a running 84 rabbit with extra "parts"..of course you can sell parts you don't need to bring the budget down.....  for example the engine in the Estate blew up.....I found a local used engine for $300....so I sold off $300 worth of misc interior stuff-computers to recoup the $300...and were back to even!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

5 (edited by squidbreath 2010-02-16 05:55 PM)

Let's see.  Suppose I buy a piece of property with a car half buried on it.  The soil is part of the car in a way.  I dig the car out to keep for Lemons racing then sell the property for a $100,000 gain.  The soil was a part of the car that I didn't need.  Does that mean the basis of my Lemons car for $500 budget purposes is negative $100,000?

Just sayin'

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

squidbreath wrote:

Let's see.  Suppose I buy a piece of property with a car half buried on it.  The soil is part of the car in a way.  I dig the car out to keep for Lemons racing then sell the property for a $100,000 gain.  The soil was a part of the car that I didn't need.  Does that mean the basis of my Lemons car for $500 budget purposes is negative $100,000?

Just sayin'

Sure, but because the Lemons Supreme Court reserves the right to put the screws to letter-adhering-but-spirit-violating loopholers like you, we'd just hand out a billion penalty laps.

Unless, of course, you used the 100 grand to build a Countach with a Fiero body. Then you'd be OK.

squidbreath wrote:

Just sayin'

Great concept...personally I think you should try it.....

whats could possibly go wrong? 

I also like the kit countach-flamero idea....even hopelessly over budget....I think you would get in and probably not that many BS laps.....assuming your theme ruled too

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

ok thanks alot for the info