101 (edited by VKZ24 2017-12-14 09:00 AM)

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

Guildenstern wrote:

I mostly don't like the smashieness of BUMPCar.

Agreed.  Our tech inspector at Road Atlanta asked us how many races we had on our car.  We told him 9, and asked why the question. He said it still looked good (no dents).  I told him that is why we race Lemons, because they enforce their no contact rules.  There a few Lemones rules I would like to see changed/modified, but I like the fact they frown on any contact.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

jfbeam wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

if you want to win, build a better car

And when you've built that better car and start winning, they're going to start tacking on penalty laps to keep you from winning. (or bring back the "X" class) Those BS laps, and the BS attitude from the judges pinning them on you, have driven numerous teams away from Lemons. Granted, I hate seeing the same team with the same guys and car winning every time. (eg. Hong Norrth) But that's not a reason to penalize a team that lucks up and falls backwards into a win. That's both of the Duff Civic wins: Sebring  - no one was there, Barber - the correct half dozen cars broke. That's how Idle Clatter (Planet Express Ship) won at Sebring; they were bumped to B and no longer race that car -- they had to build another one, the Pizza Planet "Toyocedes". I don't have any ideas for a solution, certainly not one that will work for Lemons HQ -- two dozen events per year, 1000-1500 unique teams, 5000+ drivers... I'm surprised Jay (et al.) remembers as many names as he does. (if it weren't for the "electric race car", I doubt he'd remember us.)

And speaking of Hong Norrth and Chump... they won almost every Lemons race. They win most of their WRL races. They DON'T win Chump races. That should tell you the magnitude of the cheatiness of Chump cars. Plus, in the east region, the extreme tolerance (and encouragement -- ask VK about their novice class) of contact. The name change was in response to a bunch of PC/SJW/butt-hurt over the "derogatory" term used to describe the series and it's participants. ("members" now that it's a tax-free non-profit club)

unlike Lemons it is all "points" based, not arguing for it or against it.  things like cams, headers, suspension, intake are points based. everybody has the same points hit. So a guy that can buy a cam for a SBC for $100 gets the same points hit as a guy buying one for a BMW. It makes things much easier at tech... yes this tends to make the cars faster.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

Guildenstern wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Losers. They even un-punned their pun.

But hey, they get to sell everyone all new mandatory stickers.

And do it again when IRL sends them the C&D since they Bought the rights to Champ Car World Series in 08.

Also I fell asleep twice during their "Change" video.

while I don't understand the name change either. It's still affordable racing. It is also fun and the cars are generally faster, than Lemons...maybe that's why you don't like it I dunno. They also have rights to the name so they can use it as they like. We race there, here and AER next year...  Not really into trophies, just like to get some seat time.

I mostly don't like the smashieness of BUMPCar. And the whole SCCA part two attitude.

And the esoteric, too much homework, value rules





And the "If you aren't cheating you aren't racing" bs





And the small turnouts







Did I mention the low rent SCCA vibe?

???no more bumps at the Chump events we've been at then Lemons, then again there aren't 120+ cars on the track.  We race whatever league is in town. I'd rather run with 50-60 cars that are pretty similar than 120+ That have a speed difference of 40mph. Values are set by points, actually easier than Lemons to keep track of.  Both leagues have their + and -'s

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

104

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

Mr.Yuck wrote:

???no more bumps at the Chump events we've been at then Lemons

Hmmmm....let me see here.  I've been to three separate Chump races where they had to STOP THE RACE and black flag the entire field so  everyone could come in for a meeting about contact.  Of course the meeting was just a tongue lashing with no penalties, so that accomplished zero.  I've raced in over 30 Lemons races and have had contact exactly ONCE (my fault) for which I did get a penalty, as I should.  Maybe I'm just really lucky?  Maybe it's because Lemons drivers know that repeated contact will get you a quick trip home?  In the last Chump race, I drove with another team. Some fool tried to make it FOUR wide in the Oak Tree turn at VIR (there's just enough room for two) and drove up over our front wheel and landed on his roof.  We had to pit of course because the fender was rubbing the tire, but Chump HQ had no idea what happened, and the other car got no penalty other than being on his roof.


Mr.Yuck wrote:

I'd rather run with 50-60 cars that are pretty similar than 120+ That have a speed difference of 40mph. Values are set by points, actually easier than Lemons to keep track of.


Sounds like you made your choice, and we are OK with that.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

VKZ24 wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

???no more bumps at the Chump events we've been at then Lemons

Hmmmm....let me see here.  I've been to three separate Chump races where they had to STOP THE RACE and black flag the entire field so  everyone could come in for a meeting about contact.  Of course the meeting was just a tongue lashing with no penalties, so that accomplished zero.  I've raced in over 30 Lemons races and have had contact exactly ONCE (my fault) for which I did get a penalty, as I should.  Maybe I'm just really lucky?  Maybe it's because Lemons drivers know that repeated contact will get you a quick trip home?  In the last Chump race, I drove with another team. Some fool tried to make it FOUR wide in the Oak Tree turn at VIR (there's just enough room for two) and drove up over our front wheel and landed on his roof.  We had to pit of course because the fender was rubbing the tire, but Chump HQ had no idea what happened, and the other car got no penalty other than being on his roof.


Mr.Yuck wrote:

I'd rather run with 50-60 cars that are pretty similar than 120+ That have a speed difference of 40mph. Values are set by points, actually easier than Lemons to keep track of.




Sounds like you made your choice, and we are OK with that.

Just saying they are different types of racing. We have had the same car slam doors with us pushing it 3 wide at the last 2 NJMP races a car that wins a lot.  You got goof balls at all races. I've sat in the box at Lemons for going off track and have had contact in Chumps we've also been "meatballed" at chumps for smoke. Chumps has started cracking down, they are under new management.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

Type44 wrote:
nimblemotorsports wrote:

I never liked the "Chump" car name, so good for them to change it.  But they should have changed it to "ChimpCar" instead.  smile

Given what the bodywork looks like post race, maybe ChompCar?

I always liked BUMPCar

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!"
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata.

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Just saying they are different types of racing. We have had the same car slam doors with us pushing it 3 wide at the last 2 NJMP races a car that wins a lot.  You got goof balls at all races. I've sat in the box at Lemons for going off track and have had contact in Chumps we've also been "meatballed" at chumps for smoke. Chumps has started cracking down, they are under new management.

They're under NO management, they're a series of regional clubs now. Your Chump experience is limited only to your area. Other parts of the country SUCK!!

I'm glad I'll be at Gingerman the weekend they screw up the still being fixed Nelson Ledges.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!"
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata.

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

Mr.Yuck wrote:

???no more bumps at the Chump events we've been at then Lemons, then again there aren't 120+ cars on the track.  We race whatever league is in town. I'd rather run with 50-60 cars that are pretty similar than 120+ That have a speed difference of 40mph. Values are set by points, actually easier than Lemons to keep track of.  Both leagues have their + and -'s

Come on now, there's a whole rigamarole about researching market values for your car, and all kinds of goofy paperwork. And the penalties only count if they catch them. Which since they rely on a lot of self reporting, means they catch very little.

So it's not any more "fair" than Lemons Judge certified Mk. 1 Eyeball handicapping. It just seems like it because there's more paperwork.

And the cars are all near the same speed because Chump is ALL A Class cars.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!"
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata.

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

+1 on the Chump "document a bunch of stuff" process not being any more accurate than the Lemons "some guy in a robe pulls it out of his butt" process. In either case, I have found that lying my ass off seems to get me through the quickest, which is all that I really care about, although with the new ultra-slow race car, nobody even wants to know anything about it. It's just "C0" and move along. For our old car, we had a folder of documentation for each series. We called them our "Books of Lies".

We ran Chump for years and finally couldn't take the crashiness of it any more. I've heard that other regions are different, but VIR turned in to a demo derby one too many times for us.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

Mr.Yuck wrote:

well some people don't care about winning IOE or 1st in show. Some people just come to race and have a good time. A theme is like 4th on  the list of priorities.

Don't care about I.O.E.?!!

Priorities:

1. I.O.E.

2. Domination

3. Beating all the Class A and B cars

4. Theme

5. I.O.E.

Well I guess we have #4 in common.

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

I guess I am about to express a common but unpopular (for this thread) opinion...who cares?  Really?  It is not our series and yet we still pay to play.  This confirms those that do not like the rules are idiots for continuing to pay to abide by them.  In truth we are all multiple kinds of idiots to be involved in this sport anyway.

I see it as a hobby plain and simple.  It is not a solo hobby so someone makes the rules.

Is there a competitive element...yep.  Is it important...sure.  Is it the reason I keep giving Jay my money...not for the most part.

1 IoE chase is fun
2 Building cars is fun
3 Racing can be fun
4 Hanging out with like-minded idiots is EXTREMELY fun
5 Turning a former IoE winner into a competitive vehicle in other ways...crap-ton of work but it involves 2, 3, and 4 so all good.

Are there things we could suggest to the man that receives all our money...why not?  Is it fun to discuss here...mostly but this is kind of starting to spin down into a hole that could turn less than enjoyable so...

BACON!
BEER!
IDIOTS!

I feel better.

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

Guildenstern wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

???no more bumps at the Chump events we've been at then Lemons, then again there aren't 120+ cars on the track.  We race whatever league is in town. I'd rather run with 50-60 cars that are pretty similar than 120+ That have a speed difference of 40mph. Values are set by points, actually easier than Lemons to keep track of.  Both leagues have their + and -'s

Come on now, there's a whole rigamarole about researching market values for your car, and all kinds of goofy paperwork. And the penalties only count if they catch them. Which since they rely on a lot of self reporting, means they catch very little.

So it's not any more "fair" than Lemons Judge certified Mk. 1 Eyeball handicapping. It just seems like it because there's more paperwork.

And the cars are all near the same speed because Chump is ALL A Class cars.

I dunno they have a value list, if you have a 2001 Jetta it's on the list.  No paper work at all,you need a log book. You claim it you get hit on points. No need for receipts, keeping copy of c-list adds, no bill of sales. The judges will call yo out on crap if they see it. As far as all A class, yes compared to Lemons they are almost all A class cars. Our car is Lemons legal so we are mid pack in Chump. It is harder to build a Lemons car for sure.  Like I said different race. I like both, When you do a Chump race you know  you are going against mostly fast cars and the guys are competitive. At Lemons you have a mixed bag and can expect a hot dog cart, a diesel Chevette and any number of wacky cars. Many teams run both leagues...because we like to race.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

Guildenstern wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

Just saying they are different types of racing. We have had the same car slam doors with us pushing it 3 wide at the last 2 NJMP races a car that wins a lot.  You got goof balls at all races. I've sat in the box at Lemons for going off track and have had contact in Chumps we've also been "meatballed" at chumps for smoke. Chumps has started cracking down, they are under new management.

They're under NO management, they're a series of regional clubs now. Your Chump experience is limited only to your area. Other parts of the country SUCK!!

I'm glad I'll be at Gingerman the weekend they screw up the still being fixed Nelson Ledges.

You can race wherever you want. I agree somehow marketing has tanked. There is really no reason Chump can't field cars at the same tracks Lemons does. if Lemons can get 120 at NJMP (many chumpcars) Chumps should be able to pull at least 1/2 that. We are limited by family and commitments. Although I do want to hit Daytona in the spring. They are working on it and I hope they can get some more races and racers involved.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

OnkelUdo wrote:

I guess I am about to express a common but unpopular (for this thread) opinion...who cares?  Really?  It is not our series and yet we still pay to play.  This confirms those that do not like the rules are idiots for continuing to pay to abide by them.  In truth we are all multiple kinds of idiots to be involved in this sport anyway.

I see it as a hobby plain and simple.  It is not a solo hobby so someone makes the rules.

Is there a competitive element...yep.  Is it important...sure.  Is it the reason I keep giving Jay my money...not for the most part.

1 IoE chase is fun
2 Building cars is fun
3 Racing can be fun
4 Hanging out with like-minded idiots is EXTREMELY fun
5 Turning a former IoE winner into a competitive vehicle in other ways...crap-ton of work but it involves 2, 3, and 4 so all good.

Are there things we could suggest to the man that receives all our money...why not?  Is it fun to discuss here...mostly but this is kind of starting to spin down into a hole that could turn less than enjoyable so...

BACON!
BEER!
IDIOTS!

I feel better.

I think we're mostly just bickering until they finally get around to releasing the actual 2018 rules.


Then we'll all have a common enemy.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!"
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata.

115

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

Guildenstern wrote:
OnkelUdo wrote:

I guess I am about to express a common but unpopular (for this thread) opinion...who cares?  Really?  It is not our series and yet we still pay to play.  This confirms those that do not like the rules are idiots for continuing to pay to abide by them.  In truth we are all multiple kinds of idiots to be involved in this sport anyway.

I see it as a hobby plain and simple.  It is not a solo hobby so someone makes the rules.

Is there a competitive element...yep.  Is it important...sure.  Is it the reason I keep giving Jay my money...not for the most part.

1 IoE chase is fun
2 Building cars is fun
3 Racing can be fun
4 Hanging out with like-minded idiots is EXTREMELY fun
5 Turning a former IoE winner into a competitive vehicle in other ways...crap-ton of work but it involves 2, 3, and 4 so all good.

Are there things we could suggest to the man that receives all our money...why not?  Is it fun to discuss here...mostly but this is kind of starting to spin down into a hole that could turn less than enjoyable so...

BACON!
BEER!
IDIOTS!

I feel better.

I think we're mostly just bickering until they finally get around to releasing the actual 2018 rules.


Then we'll all have a common enemy.

Bickering is normal but pretty sure the 2018 Lemons rules won't cover anything over at Chump/champ  and nothing good seems to come from bickering about other series here.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

In defense of bickering, the rules do change and adapt based on the desires of the racers, and looking at the roster for the last race (47-A, 33-B, 15-C), there are a lot more people in fast cars looking to race than those of us in hopeless beaters looking for an IOE, so I think that some whining about rules by  racers is productive.

I also like some discussion about how other series do things. Lemons is my favorite by far, but Chump and WRL do get some stuff right.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

117

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Although I do want to hit Daytona in the spring.

I assume you've never ran Daytona?  I have, and I can tell you I  have no desire to go back,  It's one of those "I can say I've been there" type tracks, but otherwise it's super boring.  The banks are no challenge, and the infield is like a set on on/off ramps on the freeway.  IMO, the only fun is the chicane on the back straight.  Every lap, I was looking forward to the chicane, and bored to tears with the rest of the track.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

VKZ24 wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

Although I do want to hit Daytona in the spring.

I assume you've never ran Daytona?  I have, and I can tell you I  have no desire to go back,  It's one of those "I can say I've been there" type tracks, but otherwise it's super boring.  The banks are no challenge, and the infield is like a set on on/off ramps on the freeway.  IMO, the only fun is the chicane on the back straight.  Every lap, I was looking forward to the chicane, and bored to tears with the rest of the track.

Well i'm a drag racer at heart so seeing how fast we can go on the straights will be fun... and  yes it will probably be a one-time thing considering it is about a 15 hour hump.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

So in principle I can still get behind the "automatic 1 lap per Class A win" idea, but then I got to thinking... why do we care what happens in Class A? Aren't a lot of people (including myself) arguing that there should be proportionately fewer Class A cars at races? Lemons HQ certainly thinks that; that's why they shifted the prize money, right? Unfortunately, with the cost of racing being what it is, $100-200 in prize money doesn't mean dick to most teams. You know what could discourage Class A entries, though? It being a meaningless shitshow dominated by the same teams over and over. Just a thought. Of course, the teams entering all these Class A cars aren't the ones on the forums complaining, because all they want to do is race.

I guess I'm coming back to not really caring about this.

I do like Spank's idea about driver BF tracking, though. You could save money (and make things marginally more difficult for the judges) by ditching the scan-able wristbands and just having unique numbers on them that the judges write down. But you still run into the issue of adding more overhead, and adding more concrete consequences to drivers and teams based on subjective judgments by overworked staff, especially if BF records can vary with circumstance like Spank mentioned. The only thing that really makes this series work as a whole is that winning doesn't really matter in a concrete sense. When you start calling drivers out and giving them permanent records upon which future decisions are based, I can see a lot of people getting bent out of shape over what we'd now consider minor misunderstandings.

Okay, I talked myself out of that one too. It's not broken so don't fix it?

I guess the rule changes could probably come out sooner, at least. I can definitely see the frustration in trying to plan for early races next year.

Command Pilot/Flight Director, Escape Velocity Racing
Index of Effluency, Heroic Fix, Class C Trophy, now hopelessly gunning for Class B.
Currently 1-2 vs. Team Fairlylame in the Class of 1964 Championships

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

I agree that a few hundred in prize or entry money isn't going to make a difference to most people.

I'm thinking that we should care about Class A because it keeps the doors open. Half of the cars at Road Atlanta were in A. A has outnumbered C by 2-3 times at our last three races. While a field full of 1987 Buick LeSabres would be a beautiful/terrible sight, it's not going to happen. As much as we like to think that the fun trophies are the most important, the important trophy is the one that makes the event happen, so I'm thinking that we should do what we can to keep the A cars happy so the rest of us can keep playing in the side show.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

I'm still hoping for a Spec. Town Car!

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

rmcdaniels wrote:

I agree that a few hundred in prize or entry money isn't going to make a difference to most people.

I'm thinking that we should care about Class A because it keeps the doors open. Half of the cars at Road Atlanta were in A. A has outnumbered C by 2-3 times at our last three races. While a field full of 1987 Buick LeSabres would be a beautiful/terrible sight, it's not going to happen. As much as we like to think that the fun trophies are the most important, the important trophy is the one that makes the event happen, so I'm thinking that we should do what we can to keep the A cars happy so the rest of us can keep playing in the side show.


Except in a lot of ways access defines the demand. A lot of cars are A class because they've BECOME A Class. The unfortunate issue is making a car is just to darn expensive now to be disposable. So the car they made is the car they keep, When their car gets totaled an A class team isn't locked to making another A class car. And some of them don't because being 10th in A class gets tiresome after a while, but the car they have is the car they have so whatever. So they try something else like Burnt rubber soul and their Imperial.

So the question may more be, how can C be incentivized more? I'd love to do a C class car, but the time and money involved just is a hard sell for a team for a car that MIGHT make it a couple hours.

Of course this is coming from a guy who's car is probably going in A class next race because I can't stop my perfectionist OCD. But rest assured, we'll probably still take an hour lunch break on Sunday because making the car is more fun than being in shape enough to compete.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!"
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata.

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

Guildenstern wrote:

So the question may more be, how can C be incentivized more? I'd love to do a C class car, but the time and money involved just is a hard sell for a team for a car that MIGHT make it a couple hours.

You keep saying that but unless you actively pick a car that has no chance of making it to the corner after driven off the lot new (Feugo for example) most class C cars operated by experienced teams start and finish most races.  Yes, that have less total track time on average because they are still terrible.  Until the car is totally sorted (many races usually) you will be spending some hours repairing but still the majority driving.

The dustbuster co-owner can pull up his magic spreadsheet but my guess is the van spent on average 70% of its time on the track every race except the manual-to-auto-swap Joliet race.  The '48 Plymouth had NO downtime in its first race and likely would continue that trend had me not decided to go crazy with the re-fit.  I think all the Kia's that were left stock have had similar results, etc, etc.

124

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

Guildenstern wrote:

So the question may more be, how can C be incentivized more? I'd love to do a C class car, but the time and money involved just is a hard sell for a team for a car that MIGHT make it a couple hours.

This is a key point about Class C.  No matter how much I'd love to drag cars out from behind barns to make race cars out of them, I would struggle to convince my wife and friends that dropping $3500 (more like 4k with a fire system) on a build then $1000 per person per event would be worth it for a questionable few hours on track, more than once at least.  I'd prefer Lemons pushed for more costly yet safer cars so I'm cool with that but it does stack the deck in favor of the Class A cars.  We always seem to be on the fringe of Class A and Class B so I kinda feel like we are doing ok in the grand scheme of things.  That being said, I do love seeing the Class C cars and really respect the dedication, effort and lack of good sense that goes into them so I'm all for anything that can encourage more of them.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

125

Re: 2018 Rules Update: Class C cars will get to race for half price!

n0m4d wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

So the question may more be, how can C be incentivized more? I'd love to do a C class car, but the time and money involved just is a hard sell for a team for a car that MIGHT make it a couple hours.

This is a key point about Class C.  No matter how much I'd love to drag cars out from behind barns to make race cars out of them, I would struggle to convince my wife and friends that dropping $3500 (more like 4k with a fire system) on a build then $1000 per person per event would be worth it for a questionable few hours on track, more than once at least.  I'd prefer Lemons pushed for more costly yet safer cars so I'm cool with that but it does stack the deck in favor of the Class A cars.  We always seem to be on the fringe of Class A and Class B so I kinda feel like we are doing ok in the grand scheme of things.  That being said, I do love seeing the Class C cars and really respect the dedication, effort and lack of good sense that goes into them so I'm all for anything that can encourage more of them.

I don't know my C Class car is pretty damn cheap to run.  I mean it still is on its original from the factory engine and trans.  The parts we have replaced due to braking is maybe $300 since its first race in 2010, and while there isn't a performance parts market for it everything else is cheap.  I mean its cheaper to replace calibers than rebuild them since there cost is in the teens. and that stupid car will race all weekend without us ever popping the hood, with quite often our fastest lap being one of the last laps of the race.   I'm sure there are plenty of other cars like it out there, both as in literally the same car and its siblings to similar basic cheap cars that aren't meant to be ever raced. 

Its all just what you want. People see glory as either winning or super obscure car, but its not that hard having a lot of lap time cheaply in a c class car.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page