Topic: Anyone succeed in avoiding refueling altogether?

Not that it's remotely possible driving a thirsty beast like ours smile

But when thinking about another build, I ponder trying to do something silly. Like avoid all chance of fueling-related penalties. Be turning laps from flag to flag with one driver change mid day. By running effiiciently enough that a refuel is simply not needed.

The recipe I'm thinking of is something really light, like a Fiat 128 or so. With the biggest cell allowable, and a tuned VW TDI from the '97 or so generation. Back of the napkin math says it's feasible.

Anyone already do it? NO fuel added during hot track hours?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

Re: Anyone succeed in avoiding refueling altogether?

I mean, how slow are you willing to go?

If you can figure out how to run 30 mph or so with the engine tuned to a wide open idle, sure 24 gallons will last you all day.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Spank tried it with the Moke and a big fuel cell at Sears a few years ago.  He also tried to do it solo as I was flying in that day.  There was a couple of problems.

1. He ran out of fuel with 20 minutes to go.
2. He had to run slower lap times to conserve fuel.
3. With making one stop on Sunday, we turned more laps than Saturday even with a flat tire.

Is that conclusive?  Probably not.   I'm sure fatigue played into his lap times as well.  Spank teetered around with clenched fists like Robbie the Robot on Saturday night so I would highly discourage anyone from trying the solo route again.   Conversely, we knew we didn't need to add much fuel during the driver swap since it only came up 20 minutes short so 1 can of fuel is all you need and no worries about fuel spill from overfilling.  Was it enough to win?  No, although I think that's the time we won IOE with the overnight theme switch from the Caterpillar yellow tractor to the green John "Jay" Deere.

I'd be curious to hear how the diesels do with fuel use as it seems like their efficiency goes way down once they get above their normal operating RPM range.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I remember Spank getting fatigued from trying to solo it, we wouldn't go that nuts, definitely a driver change. I was just curious if there were any successful attempts. 20 mins from the checker is pretty damn close...

From memory, the Porsche 926d ran for about 450 miles at Buttonwillow on around 30 gallons of fuel.

Elsewhere on the internet, I've seen D24 guys claim 45MPG on the road in their Volvo bricks, so that's one data point for diesel fuel economy on a racetrack.

That guy

6 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2018-01-05 01:04 PM)

Our Metro 3 cylinder was about 3 GPH.   So even a 22 gal fuel cell wouldn’t make it all day.

Fuel burn rates do decrease quite a bit in the wet.  So I bet the car could make it all the way on a wet track. 

But why?   If you get proper fuel jugs you should be able to dump 5 gal of fuel in 20 secs.  15 gal in a minute.

So it makes no sense to hyper-mile all day when fueling should be faster.  Especially if you are going to stop to swap drivers anyway.

Not sure why re-fueling is complicated.

Edit:  I encourage you to think about fuel in gallons per hour or weight of fuel per hour.  Not in miles per gallon or total miles.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

If we use Q's 924 diesel getting 15mpg as the benchmark, it looks like we come up short.  Winner of C does a little more than 150 laps/day at Buttonwillow's 2.65 miles which comes out to about 400 miles/day.  That's 26.5 gallons which means you come up a half hour or so short.  Looks like you need at least 17mpg for a 24 gal cell to make it.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Our Metro 3 cylinder was about 3 GPH.   So even a 22 gal fuel cell wouldn’t make it all day.

Fuel burn rates do decrease quite a bit in the wet.  So I bet the car could make it all the way on a wet track. 

But why?   If you get proper fuel jugs you should be able to dump 5 gal of fuel in 20 secs.  15 gal in a minute.

So it makes no sense to hyper-mile all day when fueling should be faster.  Especially if you are going to stop to swap drivers anyway.

Not sure why re-fueling is complicated.

Edit:  I encourage you to think about fuel in gallons per hour or weight of fuel per hour.  Not in miles per gallon or total miles.

It's about the challenge, not because fueling is hard. 12+ races in a 5.0 V8, I've done my share of it smile

Just was a mental exercise, trying to see if it's doable. Seems *almost* doable but not quite there. The info that a diesel goes around 15 mpg is interesting.

This came from the fact that our big car only needs gas once during a race day. I just started thinking "what could be done to target eliminating THAT as a time waster?"

I forget the race (Joliet?) but a Rabbit diesel with a GTI suspension did sunday (shorter day...like 6 hours) on no stops running all out.  They finished in the top 25% as well.  Brake pads still looked like new as well after running the 1.5 diesel.

Fueling is hard.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1r1BajV4N9MTjpqUqu4iK7TuOp-_obEgz

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

We don't have either of those reference points given the information that was shared here.  We only had gallons used, miles covered and a way to figure miles covered historically at that same facility.  For our own fuel stop calculations we use gallons/hour.  I have no idea what sort of mpg our cars get.

Gone bye-bye

12 (edited by nimblemotorsports 2018-01-05 09:14 PM)

The solution would be to cheat and Buster in as driver and use a Honda Insight that has great aerodynamic efficiency and lightweight,
and use a phoney cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAYYFEKezvM

Here is Buster driving...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAu4iPV804w

I don't really have the kind of team that lends itself to measuring gph.

That sounds hard... We use a pink flag to communicate... and the only thing it means is "come in sometime about the next time you see the pit exit."

For on track issues, the tow truck brings it in. I tell everyone to just pull off and stop if it is bad... and that includes running out of gas.

Mechanically injected diesels are the easiest to manage. Need more Hours per Gallon? dial the smoke screw out, and even the lead-footiest driver can't kill your economy.

We'll maybe/probably get better economy once the injection pump is timed right.

That guy

Tank is full.  Go out and race.  Come back in.   Refill tank.  How much fuel did it take?  How long were you out?  Do long division.  Voila!!!

Not hard.

I would ask the Duff Beer guys what kind of economy they saw in their 240D with the original engine.

SpaceFrank wrote:

I would ask the Duff Beer guys what kind of economy they saw in their 240D with the original engine.

IIRC they ran the entire first day at NCM last year on a single tank.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Hello With the DRVOLKS TDI Beetle we run a VW ALH diesel engine with hi boost 28 LB  weigh 2800 LB racer ready. Last year at Thompson Lemon, in there VID ( Thanks for the PR) we ran 4HR 45 min on 14.5 Gal . At some points we where in the top 5 lap times!!  I still feel a diesel is the way to go but takes some skill and cost on parts to do it right.  But at NH we took a few bad hits and will scrap the Beetle and swap all race goody's to the new Audi TT  AWD for this year. At some point I would like to install a diesel with a DSG in it later in the year with a 22 Gal fuel cell
I got a lot of those junk parts around the shop.  So if we backed the boost off and added the 22 Gal fuel cell to the Beetle we could do 8+ hr on a tank!!
Bob Mann
DRVOLKS

It's a novel idea, but I don't see it's benefit other than just to say you did it.

One stop a day is completely achievable. Both the daytona and Saab were/are capable of doing it. Both burn(ed) roughly 5gallons/hour and we have a 22 gallon cell that will yield ~21 usable gallons. That gives you roughly 4 hours on track time at speed. No trying to conserve fuel, no mind games, just go out, drive fast, don't break the car. Come in for one stop mid-day and go back out. The few times we contended for C-class win in the daytona this was our strategy, one stop a day.

I will say that stints that long give you a beating, especially in the summer. If you're going to do it make sure your driver comforts are in perfect working order. Working cool shirt, plenty of on board drinking water, fresh air ducts, make sure you're not pulling exhaust fumes in the cabin, etc. The first time we went for this method I was in the car just over 4 hours. As I was coming in I felt like I could keep going another hour or so, but as soon as I got out of the hot pits from refueling it hit me like a brick wall and I had to go collapse in a chair for an hour. Be smart if you're pushing stint lengths. In the summer it's REALLY easy for dehydration and heat stroke to set in.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

19 (edited by Brett85p 2018-01-09 02:31 PM)

We had our Ecotec swapped Celica running a little over 4 hours on 22 Gallons, it made us reasonably competitive in A class but we still needed to have a lot of luck to really be in the running. Recently sacrificed the economy for more power so we can run more competitive lap times and should on the right track as we can still get 3.5 hours out of it. 4:10-15 is a sweet spot for single stopping a lot of days and this is huge but then when you get the split sessions in the midwest on Sundays you can't take advantage and are better with more speed over 3-3.5 hours.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

What is this “more power” you speak of Brett????

You should jut figure out how to not run rich and get your economy back Brett!

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

2.2 to a 2.4 liter engine around 30 HP bump fresh from the junkyard.
On paper the engines have similar fuel economy highway and city but the EPA don't have figures for WOT.

VanillaHaze wrote:

You should jut figure out how to not run rich and get your economy back Brett!

Need to crimp the fuel line with vice grips.

Sweet!!! Rooting for ya man!!!

Brett85p wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

2.2 to a 2.4 liter engine around 30 HP bump fresh from the junkyard.
On paper the engines have similar fuel economy highway and city but the EPA don't have figures for WOT.

25 (edited by rlchv70 2018-01-10 08:34 AM)

Why avoid refueling when you can do this?

https://i.imgur.com/MoKtVXj.gif