Topic: shaving tires

Anyone know who may shave tires in the Bay Area?

Re: shaving tires

Hopefully not for a Lemons race...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

gillette the best a goodyear can get

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

Why not shave tires for a Lemons race?  Many tires will chunk if you race them at full tread depth.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

Why not shave tires for a Lemons race?  Many tires will chunk if you race them at full tread depth.

I am thinking of a 200 treadwear tire... shaving could result in ONE more tire change...

But I suppose on your higher level tread wears... it would actually be better.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:
RobL wrote:

I am thinking of a 200 treadwear tire... shaving could result in ONE more tire change...

But I suppose on your higher level tread wears... it would actually be better.

Agreed. I would say anything maybe above 340 would require a shaving. We have ran the BFG's G-Force Sport (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/ … p;pc=38433) with a 340 treadwear and have had no problems and can get about 2 races out of one set with no chuncking. But if you do shave or not will also come down to what type of car you are running.

For the first time this past race we decided to run a 205-40 R17 Michelin Preceda with 240 treadwear. With these tires we found out that we can only get about one race on them if you rotate them at the end of the second day. We did run these at full thread and found no chuncking with them but they did have a bit of a loose feel to them due to the tire but as it wore down this feeling started to go away.

I've had 140 and 100 treadwear rated tires chunk and/or delaminate on the track (not on Lemons cars).

I've also had a 200 treadwear tire chunk and delaminate on a Lemons car. 

It's all about how much heat you put into the tires and how you manage that heat from the drivers seat.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

I've had 140 and 100 treadwear rated tires chunk and/or delaminate on the track (not on Lemons cars).

I've also had a 200 treadwear tire chunk and delaminate on a Lemons car. 

It's all about how much heat you put into the tires and how you manage that heat from the drivers seat.

Another good valid point. Also if you do decide to shave the tires I would suggest someone who deals with Legends cars as almost 100% of the racers shave the tires for their cars. They might also be able to build camber into those tires if you have them shaved.

warpony wrote:

Anyone know who may shave tires in the Bay Area?

aimtire at infineon
roger kraus in castro valley
five points tire in redwood city

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

Shaving is expensive.  We went through the expense at Thunderhill and all it did was make our wallets lighter and reduce the tire life from 2+ races to 1.

Rob said it best  "It's all about how much heat you put into the tires and how you manage that heat from the drivers seat"  This is an enduro, not a sprint

ifb_mole wrote:

Shaving is expensive.  We went through the expense at Thunderhill and all it did was make our wallets lighter and reduce the tire life from 2+ races to 1.

Rob said it best  "It's all about how much heat you put into the tires and how you manage that heat from the drivers seat"  This is an enduro, not a sprint

That's what I was thinking but I haven't personally experienced.

Sons of STIG

Ok, raise your hand if you "get" Lemons. As predicted by a friend, every race brings this one step closer to being just another all-out racing club......

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:

Ok, raise your hand if you "get" Lemons. As predicted by a friend, every race brings this one step closer to being just another all-out racing club......

Let them shave their tires... We'll just use one day GREAT tires and change them at the end of the day...

Sons of STIG

Spinnetti wrote:

Why shave new tires when you can buy used ones that are already pre-shaved?  Not to mention way cheaper.  As long as they're not old or cut, fuggit.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Spinnetti wrote:

You mix boys-in-mens-bodies, gas, cars and racing and primal instincts surface -  to be the Alpha male on the top of the crap heap, it is just human nature. Many, most probably "get it" but some just gotta win at almost any cost.  I admitted, previously the team voted to shave the tires, but never again, it offers no reliability advantage at all and frankly I doubt any performance advantage either.  If you drive the car like one should - as an enduro event -  then "tire chunking" shouldn't be an issue. If it is then slow the F*@K down.

16 (edited by huf_arted 2010-02-18 11:29 AM)

ifb_mole wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

You mix boys-in-mens-bodies, gas, cars and racing and primal instincts surface -  to be the Alpha male on the top of the crap heap, it is just human nature. Many, most probably "get it" but some just gotta win at almost any cost.  I admitted, previously the team voted to shave the tires, but never again, it offers no reliability advantage at all and frankly I doubt any performance advantage either.  If you drive the car like one should - as an enduro event -  then "tire chunking" shouldn't be an issue. If it is then slow the F*@K down.

I agree. The beauty of Lemons is that we are not like the "others." Now don't get me wrong, the thought of going home with a car full of nickels is enticing and I hope that my team has an eye on the checkered flag but also a beer in hand and thought in mind about the amazing menagerie of parts that some teams call a race car. I say if they want to shave then let them do it. It is in the confines of the rules and in all reality I don't see a benefit. The treadwear limitation is there for a reason and if others want to squeeze every little bit out of their cars/equipment then by all means. I believe that the rules of the race will keep the spirit of Lemons alive so keep on keepin on.

ifb_mole wrote:

Many, most probably "get it" but some just gotta win at almost any cost.

I suppose so, but it seems you're all way overthinking this.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/210/441064137_98642f3a25.jpg

If the whiskers really bother you, just pluck them and be done with it.  Shaving them is silly.  It's not like they grow back.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I could see shaving them if you have chunking problems,  We had real bad chunking on Star Specs, but none with the Azenis.  For Lemons, if chunking is a problem, I'd look to a different tire or a suspension problem.  But you guys are right, the only shving that really needs to be done in Lemons is down low for the time lapse shots.

We had chunking on the Star Specs too, but I think it was cause of the lack of negative camber plus the super duper rough NPR track surface. With more negative camber we had no chunking at MSR in Oct. We'll  see how they do this weekend. Second race with same set of tires.

our star specs were excellent...wear was quite good too.....in theory shaved tires would be legal....but I don't think its worth it.....if my 3150lb 928 doesn't chunk tires.....I gotta wonder what does.....(yes we do have 2.5' of camber all around)...

we also will get at least 2 races plus a bunch of practice time on a set of Star Specs

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

all the cars I've run have had stock weights over 3200lbs. All of them have had tires come off with feathering. I've often debated shaving them between other teammates because I've also heard that the reduced tread depth makes them last longer? I see a post like this and I have to wonder sometimes. Fact is we run a 400 AA tire for longetivity reasons but hard driving on a heavy car with a floppy suspension = excessive tire wear.

I may be willing to give this a try, as I heard a rumor tire rack would shave'em for an extra $25 a pop, but sounds like for the most part that's a load of bull. Anyone?

Yes Tire Rack shaved ours for $25 per tire.

ifb_mole wrote:

Yes Tire Rack shaved ours for $25 per tire.

Don't they heat cycle them for that service as well?

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:

That, I don't know, I do know the shaving process heats up the tire, but I don't know if it would be a "heat cycle".

By all accounts from people in the know, shaving does reduce heat in the tire and does offer better handling, but since Lemons cars are not sprint racing nor are they full-out race cars, I just don't think there is any advantage (ie. better performance or longevity or safer or longer reliability). 

I just think with heavier cars that are prone to "tire chunking", drivers need to manage the tires a bit better.

ifb_mole wrote:
Riktor wrote:

That, I don't know, I do know the shaving process heats up the tire, but I don't know if it would be a "heat cycle".

By all accounts from people in the know, shaving does reduce heat in the tire and does offer better handling, but since Lemons cars are not sprint racing nor are they full-out race cars, I just don't think there is any advantage (ie. better performance or longevity or safer or longer reliability). 

I just think with heavier cars that are prone to "tire chunking", drivers need to manage the tires a bit better.

I ordered some Nitto trackday tires a while back and that was one of the services they offered then. Didn't know if they shaved them after heat cycling.

Sons of STIG