Topic: Yokohama Tires Becomes Official Tire of Lemons

You should have gotten the email from Lemons HQ, but if not, I'll post it below.

Answers to what will likely be your FAQs:

(1) Yokohama tires do not become mandatory or anything of the sort. You can run whatever tires you want.
(2) However, if you run Yokohamas, let us know and we'll probably feature you on social media, etc.
(3) We're working on discounts/coupons.
(4) Yokohama's 180-treadwear tires aren't going to be made Lemons-legal. Too bad, not sorry.
(5) Yokohama gets naming rights to six races. Those are decided but aren't in the email.

Feel free to ask questions here. You can PM or email me (eric@24hoursoflemons.com), too.

Email from HQ:

RESPECTABLE TIRE COMPANY JOINS JANKY RACES
While unable to make series less awful, official Yokohama presence offers much-needed increase in driver-braggadocio plausibility.

Emeryville CA--Imperiling decades of customer trust and the goodwill of countless race victories, Yokohama has just become the Official Tire of 24 Hours of Lemons. The new partnership means that in theory one now could say "Lemons" in the same breath as "Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge USA by Yokohama" or "Yokohama NORRA Mexico 1000," though of course no one actually will.

"We're as perplexed by the whole thing as you are," said Jay Lamm, Chief Perpetrator of 24 Hours of Lemons. "We even told them that we wouldn't mention the Porsche GT3 Cup thing, but they said 'go ahead.' I can only assume someone in marketing is trying to get themselves fired."

Yokohama marketing boss Fardad Niknam declined to confirm or deny Mr. Lamm's theory, commenting only that "...we have in fact told upper management" and "there's an unrecognizable signature on the contract." On a totally unrelated note, Lemons staff will be out of the office next week for a corporate team-building retreat involving huge gnarly burnouts in the parking lot on sweet new Yokohama tires.

More information on the Yokohama/Lemons partnership and how it might not in fact cause the end of all motorsport, despite first appearances, will come soon. In the meantime, check out www.YokohamaTire.com to see which tires can make your miserable hooptie somewhat drivable, finally.

Follow Yokohama Tire on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Re: Yokohama Tires Becomes Official Tire of Lemons

Sell outs!

I'm Jealous.

Since NONE of the Porsche Cup, Touring, or GT Yokohama racing tires are Lemons legal. That leaves us with only one choice: The Yokohama Y720 Tractor Service Tire. Baja winner and soon to be Lemons legend!

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1SoPkmJ4WkHt6ZNjC8xTBaiMUhnBt_5YK

Win Class A on these and never have to buy a round ever again!

'18 PNW-Organizer's Choice '17 PNW-IOE '15 PNW-Judge's Choice '14 PNW-Heroic Fix
Jagvair 2.0 Build   Jagvair YouTube  Jagvair Facebook

Will the patches change for those races?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

Probably yes.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

You could always convert to 10" wheels and run the Yoko A008s with no treadwear rating.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Northeast looks to have avoided our new corporate overlords.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

8 (edited by TeamLemon-aid 2018-02-15 12:48 PM)

Contingency or massive discounts and I’m interested. 

$40 off a set of four tires... nahhh

It doesn’t look like they have a 200 treadwear tire that is in the right size... nor have I seen anyone running Yoko’s. 

Might as well have signed with PowerKing.   

Maxxis has a generous contingency through WRL FWIW.  Although, they struggle have the right sizes available also.

EDIT:  I went to their website and now the Advan Neova is listed as 200 treadwear.  LOL!!!  Magic!!!

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

It doesn’t look like they have a 200 treadwear tire that is in the right size... nor have I seen anyone running Yoko’s. 

Maxxis has a generous contingency through WRL FWIW.  Although, they struggle have the right sizes available also.

EDIT:  I went to their website and now the Advan Neova is listed as 200 treadwear.  LOL!!!  Magic!!!

Yep... Saw that too. Magic! I dig it.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

I run S.Drives on my daily, so bring on the discounts please.

11 (edited by fleming95 2018-02-15 01:26 PM)

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

. . . Might as well have signed with PowerKing. . .

Shoulda gone with Triangle Tyre - much more Lemony!

Their culture statement is right in line with Lemons:

http://chn.triangle.com.cn/en/c1013.html

The mission of Triangle

Bringing progress to the society and creating civilization for humans.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not so sure that Yokohama knows what they're into, however:

Corporate Slogan

Excellence by nature

Oops. smile

Tires with zero death crystals. Those will be the tires to have.

Culture is a kind of soft power with a condensed incentive and restraint effect, and it is the soul of Triangle’s career.

Deep. I need to effort some ideation about this.

25X Loser - Delinquent Racing - '86 Rust-Tite Merkur - 9 years (when do I get to stop?).

therood wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Probably yes.

That's disappointing. Right after the Houston race got a name upgrade, too.

Fishah wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Yep... Saw that too. Magic! I dig it.

Sigh. I have to admit, I've been secretly wishing for Lemons to raise the minimum TW rating to 210. Just to fuck with all the tire companies re-classifying their race tires and/or switching to softer compounds without changing the rating.

That does it, I'm an old codger now. Time to go outside and start yelling at clouds...

SpaceFrank wrote:

Sigh. I have to admit, I've been secretly wishing for Lemons to raise the minimum TW rating to 210. Just to fuck with all the tire companies re-classifying their race tires and/or switching to softer compounds without changing the rating.

That does it, I'm an old codger now. Time to go outside and start yelling at clouds...

It's hardly just Lemons that's driving it. AutoX has been driving demand for a while too, and possibly with greater force as evidenced by some of the more prefered Lemons tires going away and being replaced by faster wearing versions.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

You know given this type of racing, you have to think a manly deodorant sponsor would jump in.   smile

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-09/13/6/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane02/sub-buzz-15157-1473763832-1.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

What, No GP du Lac Yokohamagoggmanchammagoggyochaubunagungamammayohammagogg?

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

SpaceFrank wrote:
therood wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Probably yes.

That's disappointing. Right after the Houston race got a name upgrade, too.

My guess is it's either that or we all get a price "upgrade".

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

nimblemotorsports wrote:

You know given this type of racing, you have to think a manly deodorant sponsor would jump in.   smile

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-09/13/6/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane02/sub-buzz-15157-1473763832-1.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

More accurate sponsor would be this product:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81zFkr2XOCL._SY355_.jpg

Seriously, one catalog has it listed with the phrase "It cuts through armpit stench like gang-busters" in the description.

Aww, they changed the name of the Kim Harmon Scrotium 500. Sad.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Yea, who would think that a major tire brand wouldn't want to have the

Kim Harmon Scrotium 500 brought to you by Yokohama Tires

Did they do any research before throwing money at Jay? Probably best they didn't.

Guildenstern wrote:

Did they do any research before throwing money at Jay? Probably best they didn't.

The answer is either "obviously not" or the marketing guy has a sense of humor.

RichVS wrote:

What, No GP du Lac Yokohamagoggmanchammagoggyochaubunagungamammayohammagogg?

Don't think I didn't try.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

OnkelUdo wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

The answer is either "obviously not" or the marketing guy has a sense of humor.

One of Yokohama's people raced Spank's Moke (and the Mini, I think) back in 2011 or 2012. I don't honestly know if that answers the question or not.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

The Yokohama website lists the AD08R as 200TW now. So I guess that's the go-to tire. Screw that though. We should all race on the Avid Touring S. It's got a 620TW rating, so it's over 3x better.

Race: 2012 Vodden; 2013 Pointless, EMP, Vodden, Freeze; 2014 Vodden, Freeze; 2015 Vodden, Loudon, Freeze; 2016 Pointless, Discomfort, Vodden, Sweat; 2017 Turrible
Staff: 2017 Pointless, Vodden, Freeze
http://yousuckatracing.wordpress.com