Topic: Texas Drivers Uphold the Tradition

The tradition of crappy driving.

359 black flags.

As we like to say, very poorly done, y'all

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Re: Texas Drivers Uphold the Tradition

Also add in the countless cars that went upside down.

gsmith2424 wrote:

Also add in the countless cars that went upside down.

Actually, the count was 4 cars on their roofs.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Ouch, that's a lot of flag waving and roof scrapin!  Our team (#47) had a blast, glad to hear nobody was hurt in the rollovers.

Mike
Lemons Oct 2008, Oct 2009, Feb 2010, Oct 2011

How many fires?

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

TeamDFL wrote:

How many fires?

Texas, not South Carolina smile

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

ecugrad wrote:
TeamDFL wrote:

How many fires?

Texas= Tornado's= Cars on roof
Carolinas= BBQ = Cars on fire

We made it through w/ no black flags ... too bad a busted coolant retun hose sidelined us for an hour and a half on Saturday.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

I wonder: how many penalties were spins from the rain compared to others?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

ecugrad wrote:
TeamDFL wrote:

How many fires?

No, there was at least 1 fire. There was a Celica (111?) near the end of the day on Saturday that caught on fire. The driver pulled off on the access road just before the Launch turn. It looked bad from the spotter stand and they rolled the fire truck out there, but I don't think they had to spray it down much. I saw the team as they were pushing the car back to the paddock (it was the one that looked like it had an outboard motor strapped to the trunk lid) and it wasn't looking too flame-licked, so the fire couldn't have been that bad. Not like Carolina, but we're new at this flame game here in Texas, so we have some room to grow smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

FWIW....I counted about 80 of those cars I flagged @ my station LOL  and counted about 100+ that I could remember to write down on Sunday. LOL

The most entertaining race to date. I loved it personally smile

great show! smile

Judge Jonny wrote:

359 black flags.

David Hedderick
Houston, TX
1986 325ese Shitbox Lemons car (sold...blowed up)
1990 miata drift car...like the BMW only slower and with a twisted chassis :\

Funny you say this....we gave every car a freebie on the black for spinning in the rain the first lap it started Sunday.....now if you spun 4 times in that lap...well ya....black.

Officials made good judgment calls all weekend IMO. Very reasonable on black flags.

Baron wrote:

David Hedderick
Houston, TX
1986 325ese Shitbox Lemons car (sold...blowed up)
1990 miata drift car...like the BMW only slower and with a twisted chassis :\

davebs14 wrote:

Funny you say this....we gave every car a freebie on the black for spinning in the rain the first lap it started Sunday.....now if you spun 4 times in that lap...well ya....black.

Officials made good judgment calls all weekend IMO. Very reasonable on black flags.

Baron wrote:

I agree, we only got one penalty between both of our cars, and that was our driver spinning in the rain in the afternoon, though one of our cars gave up the ghost 91 laps in.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

in the afternoon it wasn't spinning, it was pirouetting.  I think I heard some Chopin playing in the background.

Judge Jonny wrote:

359 black flags.

Only like half of those were ours...

We had a blast this weekend, thank you all for making Lemons what it is!

Bill

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/02/mylittlewagonspin-800px.jpg

There were so many spins that even the BumperCam caught one!

We went from 0 black flags in our first race (last fall at Houston) - to 6! this time out.  2 offs and 4 spins.  Ok - we may have not gotten all 6 as we usually just came in when we spun (didn't know there were freebies).   Only two of those turned into timed penalties.  Every driver but one had, ah, talent issues. 

I will say that the track was *very* slick when wet.  I'm used to the SE-R benig a pretty good rain car.  I was racing with a red BMW "317" - and neither of us could put the power coming out of turns.  Especially turn 1 - which was an ice rink.  It was racing in slow motion - but still tons of fun. 

Overall - yet another awesome time and the racing on track very good once again. 

We'll try to work on "driver education" in the off-time.   

See ya'll next time!

Grover
Black/Green #85 SE-R

Team #25 Speed Racer mustang had a blast, despite having our front core support ripped nearly off the car when it was retrieved from the gravel pit after an off road excursion in T1.  This broke our PS reseviour return fitting off and we had to make some repairs, but got back out.  Then we tried to totally repair it and everything went wrong, the pulley flange broke off, the tool stripped out (that dang pulley flange was ON THERE!) finally took a hammer and broke off the outer pulley and took it off.  Then had to jury-rig a larger pulley on there with beer cans, a spacer and welding, but we got it back on the track.  Yes, it was hairy in the rain, I was ok on some turns but all over push and loose on 8 & 9 and dicey 1 & 2. Some cars seemed to have a LOT better traction than a mustang!

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

grover wrote:

I will say that the track was *very* slick when wet.

The traction on our car was very similar to a race kart on slicks.  But only when there is standing water on the kart track...

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

we were madly praying for rain, it was our only hope to make up laps.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

We made it through with no flags or penalties...except for the barrel roll maneuver that gave us instant death.  sad

I really think the Le Car would have handled well in the rain!

Crewe Le Pew
1982 Renault Le Car "Pepe le Pew"
big_smile 2010 North Dallas Hooptie IOE WINNER!!!!!

Great race as always.  We were sitting 14th near the end of day one and our transmission decided to stick in neutral.  Doh!  2 hours to retrieve a replacement and 30 min to plug it in and we were back but the damage (~80 laps) had been done.

Pistols for Pandas:  1988 beat to hell RX-7
Big Wheels Racing: 1985 beat to hell RX-7

One of the cars in Sundays two car roll over at the end of Pit wall had a brief fire.  I am pretty sure it was the Mustang.

When it rained, which was really just misting enough to wet the track, we were screwed.

I think an actual rain may have washed the track instead of just bringing all the oil stuff to the surface.

The turns at the end of Pit row seemed to be the worst.

We have a welded diff so thinking about touching the gas pretty much resulted in drifting.  As I was struggling with the lose of traction, I was watching the Miatas and BMWs around me doing the same thing.

I am sure there was a lot of Passing under Yellow Saturday since we had so much time under Yellow.

We had a great race and it was pleasantly warm during the weekend.

Thanks to the Judges for handling the bad drivers and being nice to us when we visited you.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

SCIV wrote:

We made it through with no flags or penalties...except for the barrel roll maneuver that gave us instant death.  sad

That did suck... We loved watching you car run... might I suggest ghetto sway bars and some stiff ebay coil springs?

Troy wrote:

One of the cars in Sundays two car roll over at the end of Pit wall had a brief fire.  I am pretty sure it was the Mustang.

Two mustangs... 5.0 stang creamed a 4banger. They just had bad luck... I blame the writing on it's rear bumper.

When it rained, which was really just misting enough to wet the track, we were screwed.

I think an actual rain may have washed the track instead of just bringing all the oil stuff to the surface.

The turns at the end of Pit row seemed to be the worst.

We have a welded diff so thinking about touching the gas pretty much resulted in drifting.  As I was struggling with the lose of traction, I was watching the Miatas and BMWs around me doing the same thing.

The z's seemed to handle themselves really well on those turns... until we said something and then the brown Z spun 2 seconds later.

Now the Miata's on the other hand... yeah... not so SPECish...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

25 (edited by snake eyes 2010-02-23 09:22 AM)

SCIV wrote:

sorry but every time I saw you come into the corner's listing I was thinking it was a matter of time til y'all rolled

that and part of me wanted it for y'all running out of gas friday after the checker lol didn't think it would actually happen.

overall we were all kept busy this weekend at the corners. turn 7 got slick and the saab #900 and celica 316 took a good hit to each other coming out of the turn because of it.