Re: (Unwritten) Rules of Lemons Racing

Yea but that should be a WRITTEN rule not an Un-Written one.

Seriously some people act like a flag is a brick wall.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

It seems some of those people have never been on a track and can't find the exit. Not a firing offense the first time...

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

It seems some of those people have never been on a track and can't find the exit. Not a firing offense the first time...

OK, this is a pet peeve of mine.  I am not a particularly fast driver but I am a halfway decent team captain.  No one gets in a car unless they know the flags and can find pit in and pit out.

If you do not know these things, don't get on the course or at the very least, don't endanger the other drivers if you miss the exit....it comes around once a lap.  Don't slam on your brakes ever unless avoiding a wreck or debris.

OnkelUdo wrote:
DirtyDuc wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

OK, this is a pet peeve of mine.  I am not a particularly fast driver but I am a halfway decent team captain.  No one gets in a car unless they know the flags and can find pit in and pit out.

If you do not know these things, don't get on the course or at the very least, don't endanger the other drivers if you miss the exit....it comes around once a lap.  Don't slam on your brakes ever unless avoiding a wreck or debris.

I did tell you I ended up in the members section at autobahn my second race, right?

Owner of the Knights Templar Neon
A&D of middling proportions

OnkelUdo wrote:
DirtyDuc wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Certainly you can tell new drivers, and they can repeat the flags back to you, and show you on the track map, point to track exit from the pits, but that doesn't mean they understand in a visceral way how to respond to the onslaught of new experiences... You can explain it to them, you can't understand it for them.

That guy

56 (edited by Bayley 2018-05-21 11:33 AM)

My biggest unwritten rule is to assume that NOBODY sees you on track

(except those goddamn corners workers who claim all four tires were in the dirt when I CLEARLY had some tire still remaining on the exit curbing...)

Yes, it's frustrating when slower cars slam the door shut or brush you off track on the exit... but that's because they didn't see you.

NOBODY SEES YOU!

That car just gave you a point by? WRONG! He's jamming to some sweet tunes and finger shaking to the rhythm.

THEY DON'T SEE YOU!!

The slow C-class car is hugging the right line and letting you by? WRONG! He's simply catching up on his text messages and will be cutting back over because...

HE DOESN'T SEE YOU!!!

Hopefully I made my point. Some teams are more blind than others, but assume everyone has Stevie Wonder in as their hot-shoe and drive accordingly.

Also, don't block. That's just a dick thing to do... unless it's Csaba driving a red Prelude (now silver E46). In that case, by all means, show him your numbers (on the door!) I did this with the Mirada back in October. He IMMEDIATELY dropped back and never got closer than 100 feet from the old Chrysler unless he was passing in a straight.

The Pentastar whisperer

that reminds me...

Please do not use self tapping sheet metal screws, wood screws, nails, etc. anywhere on your car, especially on the outside, to attach anything...Don't even bring them to the track....

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

That’s not even a safety rule, just a good design practice. Take the ten more seconds to make a proper fittment.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Bayley wrote:

My biggest unwritten rule is to assume that NOBODY sees you on track ...

Revising your unwritten rule a bit:  "My biggest unwritten rule is to assume that NOBODY sees you at any time."

It's insane how many people just wonder around or walk/run across without looking.  And it's not like they are on their phones, they just have no situational awareness. You would think they would turn their head when hearing a loud car instead of ambling down the middle of the road.  It's especially scary when it's fellow drivers all suited up. Expect no better on track.

Can we get a creative penalty for jaywalking like we have with speeding in the paddock?

Like others have said, if they are actually faster then they will get around you off the line and your best move is to be predictable.  In those cases I just run a line that leaves a car width to the inside and faster drivers/cars can get around with no drama.  One team I consistently wave by is "Sorry For Party".  They don't really need the wave-by since they will get around you clean one way or another.  They are easy to notice with that pink leopard paint job on the nose so I just throw out a point-by out of respect for their clean driving.  Not that other class A teams are not as clean, it's just really easy for me to notice them in the crowd with a glance.  A lot of class A cars blend in and it's not like I am able to spend time trying to figure out who is behind me. 

My rule regarding passing: Assume that a slower driver is maxed out on their concentration or skill or both already. Make no assumptions and don't expect them to point you by even if it is warranted.  Detour through the hot pits if it drives you insane because race car.  Otherwise take it as a learning experience trying to get past them.

60 (edited by DirtyDuc 2018-12-29 11:36 PM)

I wish every a-class car drove like this guy. I know you've got a race to win, but there's some serious competition, and less serious competition in the slower classes.
https://youtu.be/abAogAUyoTE

*Wishing is hoping, and hope's not a method.

That guy

Guildenstern wrote:
VanillaHaze wrote:

but I guess not everybody likes good old fashioned car to car battles.

I think most of us would have to not be multiple laps behind the car above us for that to matter.

For me, fighting head to head against a closely matched car/driver is the most fun there is, regardless of lap counts or standings.