Topic: Initial reinforcements for Main Hoop.

We were working with the initial spreader plates on the back end of the hoop on the volvo and the metal is really thin in some places.  So I get a little worried about just putting a spreader plate on it and calling it done.   I am reinforcing the sides and the back and the bottom where the metal is thin with additional spreader plates to reinforce.    Wanting to know the groups ideas on this.  I am going to get some 1x3 stock to reinforce the front area. then place the spreader plate on that. 

I will be modifying the main hoop mounts to be flush before the actual welding is completed, but as it is roughed in, and before we make it more permanent, looking to get a little guidance.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fkcqrDk1y36zkMC03

404 Fatal Exception Volvo
2018 B.F.E GP, Get Yer Phil

Re: Initial reinforcements for Main Hoop.

The reinforcement idea is a good one, but you'll want to ensure the tubes are located flat on the steel, the pictures suggest you will be trying to match up angles.  It can be done, but is tougher to get a good fit.  Your design looks good.  Building corners like that is a great way to increase strength in iffy areas.  I wouldn't introduce 1x3 stock.  Open boxes collapse under load, so you would have to close the ends, which is a pain.  All the 1x3s will do is transfer the load down to the thin stuff anyhow.  I would just build the corners and weld in the hoop.

The welds in those pictures are a bit more concerning.  Lots of inconsistent beads and poor penetration.  I'd expect to see some of that when welding thick to thin, but it looks like some of those welds are thick to thick.  You'll have a tough time in tech with welds that look like that, especially if they are on the tube joints.  You can sometimes get by with rough looking welds on the spreader plates, but it sucks betting your weekend on it.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!