Topic: Thanks to the non-whining Texans

At most Lemons venues, we have a steady stream of folks come by and tell us how much fun they're having, how much they appreciate our ridiculous race, etc. Not so in Texas; we mostly get a non-stop parade of whiners buttonholing us with their gripes about flagging/fueling policy/undeserved BS laps/etc. This is preferable to the onslaught of enraged "expert racer" types who seem ready to clock us and/or each other with bumper jacks at the California events, but we're getting ready to start shipping busloads of Texans to South Carolina, where they might learn how to have a good time at a race track.

So, to the few of you who shook our hands and let us know you were enjoying yourselves: thanks!

Re: Thanks to the non-whining Texans

MurileeMartin wrote:

At most Lemons venues, we have a steady stream of folks come by and tell us how much fun they're having, how much they appreciate our ridiculous race, etc. Not so in Texas; we mostly get a non-stop parade of whiners buttonholing us with their gripes about flagging/fueling policy/undeserved BS laps/etc. This is preferable to the onslaught of enraged "expert racer" types who seem ready to clock us and/or each other with bumper jacks at the California events, but we're getting ready to start shipping busloads of Texans to South Carolina, where they might learn how to have a good time at a race track.

So, to the few of you who shook our hands and let us know you were enjoying yourselves: thanks!

You are welcome. Did you stash a 12'er of Shiner in your luggage?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Ouch.  Let me take this late opportunity to express how much fun we had and how much we appreciated the ridiculous race and all of your otherwise unrecognized hard work on behalf of us Texans this past weekend!!

Mike
Lemons Oct 2008, Oct 2009, Feb 2010, Oct 2011

Baron wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

You are welcome. Did you stash a 12'er of Shiner in your luggage?

We done drank it.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

While I'm sure your wish is for better drivers, all I can promise is more gumbo in the fall and some of us trying to stay clean and flag free.

6 (edited by YesIFit 2010-02-22 01:10 PM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

I know I told Jay that we had a great time, and I'm pretty sure we told you guys too. If not, then here's your belated THANKS!

Hope you got around to the beer from Rahr & Sons (the Ugly Pug and Buffalo Butt) .. it's some good stuff.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

MurileeMartin wrote:

Not so in Texas; we mostly get a non-stop parade of whiners buttonholing us with their gripes about flagging/fueling policy/undeserved BS laps/etc.

Maybe it's the mustaches...

Did ya find a use for the Rotten Chad?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

MurileeMartin wrote:

but we're getting ready to start shipping busloads of Texans to South Carolina

No, stop and don't

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

ecugrad wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

No, stop and don't

Actually, I think when the massively in the closet gay Texas racers meet the deeply homophobic South Carolina boys, hi-jinks will ensue.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Judge Jonny wrote:
ecugrad wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

No, stop and don't

Actually, I think when the massively in the closet gay Texas racers meet the deeply homophobic South Carolina boys, hi-jinks will ensue.

What kind of whacked fantasies of Texan's have you been having? I mean this is great state but you don't need to hide behind false accusations. Just tell us you love men Jonny... it's ok.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:
ecugrad wrote:

No, stop and don't

What kind of whacked fantasies of Texan's have you been having? I mean this is great state but you don't need to hide behind false accusations. Just tell us you love men Jonny... it's ok.

I spent the last 72 hours explaining to all that would listen how if I go longer than fifteen minutes without an oiled up sailor, I get grouchy

Judge Jonny wrote:
Riktor wrote:
Judge Jonny wrote:

I spent the last 72 hours explaining to all that would listen how if I go longer than fifteen minutes without an oiled up sailor, I get grouchy

How long before you started to sound like Troy?

Sons of STIG

I'm dang disappointed to hear that about our fine state. 

It was an awesome weekend even with our crappy driving, embarassing pit stops, and barely reliable car.   Can't wait for next time! 

Grover
Black/Green #85 SE-R

grover wrote:

I'm dang disappointed to hear that about our fine state. 

It was an awesome weekend even with our crappy driving, embarassing pit stops, and barely reliable car.   Can't wait for next time! 

Grover
Black/Green #85 SE-R

We missed out on the penalty shennanigans but I don't doubt what is said. We have some competative people... even if they aren't great or even good drivers.

Sons of STIG

we had a great time again guys, soory if we didn't convey that properly. We lost the motor in our BMW on saturday so we were scrambling to find one. I wish we had more time to BS with you guys, but the penalty box was full every time I wanted to stop in and harrass you guys.

P.S. what happened to the "wheel of misfortune" I didn't see it out this weekend?

It's a Miata, get him........

Riktor wrote:

We have some competative people... even if they aren't great or even good drivers.

The problem in Texas isn't excessive competitive spirit, it's excessive sense of entitlement and/or specialness, which causes many racers to believe they're being singled out for special mistreatment. We take pride in mistreating all racers equally, unless they're our friends (in which case we're extra cruel).

The California racers— and you'll note that I am not saying anything about Spec Miata here, though I could— are the ones who get way too locked in on the aggro "must... win... at... all... costs" thing.

MurileeMartin wrote:
Riktor wrote:

We have some competative people... even if they aren't great or even good drivers.

The problem in Texas isn't excessive competitive spirit, it's excessive sense of entitlement and/or specialness, which causes many racers to believe they're being singled out for special mistreatment. We take pride in mistreating all racers equally, unless they're our friends (in which case we're extra cruel).

The California racers— and you'll note that I am not saying anything about Spec Miata here, though I could— are the ones who get way too locked in on the aggro "must... win... at... all... costs" thing.

We're Texans... we are entitled.

Wait... you didn't know that? No wonder why you don't live here.

Sons of STIG

MurileeMartin wrote:
Riktor wrote:

Hell, I'd rather be described as overly competitive vs having an "excessive sense of entitlement".  I hope to do my part to dispel this terrible notion about Texans at the next Texas event!

Mike
Lemons Oct 2008, Oct 2009, Feb 2010, Oct 2011

MurileeMartin wrote:

Thanks for not whining about the whiners.  Oh, wait...

Maybe 359 black flags, bunch of offs, crashes, and flips on a slick track had a little to do with the mood.  Or maybe just the whiners were the only ones with the motivation to leave their trailers in the rain.

No doubt, I've seen my share of drivers that just don't get it.  Typically the ones that actually think it is about "fair" racing and the "best" team winning.  Hockey games have been described as "being at a fight and a hockey game breaks out."  Saw someone recently describe Lemons as "being at a party and an endurance race breaks out."  I had a buddy complain about the race being "arbitrary."  He didn't get that that's the point!

However, maybe the bloom is off the rose after so many races.  There seemed to be a cloud of grumpy in the penalty box this past weekend and the punishments just aren't nearly as creative as they used to be.

I am still lost how you guys can spend all weekend in the penalty box and still be sane.  Good thing you aren't from Texas and don't have CHL's.

We had a whole Hella lot more fun this go round.  Probably because I actually sleep sometime in the 3 days prior to the race.  Still couldn't show up on time, but that is another story.  Thanks for putting on a great event, my team had a blast will definitely see you at the next one

oh and the abligtiory "@#&* ya'll, I'm from Texas"

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

sydallard wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

Thanks for not whining about the whiners.  Oh, wait...

Maybe 359 black flags, bunch of offs, crashes, and flips on a slick track had a little to do with the mood.  Or maybe just the whiners were the only ones with the motivation to leave their trailers in the rain.

No doubt, I've seen my share of drivers that just don't get it.  Typically the ones that actually think it is about "fair" racing and the "best" team winning.  Hockey games have been described as "being at a fight and a hockey game breaks out."  Saw someone recently describe Lemons as "being at a party and an endurance race breaks out."  I had a buddy complain about the race being "arbitrary."  He didn't get that that's the point!

However, maybe the bloom is off the rose after so many races.  There seemed to be a cloud of grumpy in the penalty box this past weekend and the punishments just aren't nearly as creative as they used to be.

Oh... you're saying we've jumped the shark.

Tell you what, I'll have nick bring his shark tank to the next Texas race and for your penalty you can put on my robe and jump over it 1,000 times.

Good?

Judge Jonny wrote:

Oh... you're saying we've jumped the shark.

Tell you what, I'll have nick bring his shark tank to the next Texas race and for your penalty you can put on my robe and jump over it 1,000 times.

Good?

Now you're thinking!!

And good, yes, as long as by "shark tank" you mean a cistern full of dead lawyers.

I know this is a no whining thread, but I'm gonna whine for just a second, and then offer a solution that may, in fact, cut down on significant amounts of whining.

I think the way Lemons races are flagged (and I flagged the race in Houston) is kinda goofy. Drivers who have other-than-LeMons experience have a hard time understanding it. Flaggers who flag all year have to do something strange and different for one race and get all goofy on the radio about it. The "if you can't see a yellow flag ahead of you, you're racing" rule is open to wide interpretation by corner workers, and is generally retarded, and probably causes quite a lot of the passing under yellow epidemic.

Ok, on to the solution - I would be happy to write a pair of guides for Lemons - one for drivers, and one for flaggers that describe a flagging system that is easy to understand and not subject to wild speculation on anyone's part as to whether or not a violation occurred. The guide for drivers could even be added to the rul book as an appendix and you could haze drivers at tech/inspection by making them identify flags and whatnot.

Interested? I am.

David Wiggins
Chuck Norris - Houston Oct 08, Brawndo, The Thrist Mutilator - Houston Feb 09
Ritual Killing Motorsports - Houston Oct 09
Nigerian Prince Racing - ECR 2010, Houston 2010, ECR 2011

We and those we talked to had a great time.   Well....Aside from burying our car in the gravel.  The track crew used our clearly marked protruding tow hook that was thoughtfully welded onto some rusted and previously crashed and mashed radiator support and bumper stuff - the truck tried to pull the car and nearly tore that entire section of the car off - oops!  (and our tow hook was solid compared to 90% of the ones I saw!).

I think one reason maybe folks had a bit different attitude was that we in Houston have been subjected to more of these races than many other locales as there are two a year, and some folks are getting better at it - hopefully including us.  We had a much better planned race, until it of course it all went down the shitter, but of course that was expected at Lemons.

There was still unbelievable amount of cool people at the race sharing tools and lending a hand or suggestions, or JB weld as the Home Repo folks know.

We'll see you folks at No Problem Raceway....

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

In South Carolina there are more than two a year. And we do just fine there.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones