Re: Thanks to the non-whining Texans

This isn't to say that we don't have a good time at MSR- my point is that we get way more dudes who chase us down in order to whine about perceived unfairness (plus racers who seem constitutionally unable to accept that they may have made a mistake on the track) in Texas than anywhere else.

The many Texas Lemons teams that we do like, we like a helluva lot (which doesn't stop us from administering extra-cruel penalties to them when they screw up, of course). The majority of racers we'd most like to banish to Antarctica hail from our own state. I'm already practicing all the different ways to say "Get that piece of shit on the trailer and never come back!" in preparation for Sears Pointless.

There seems to be a light that never goes on in some drivers' heads:

"No, I didn't pass under yellow goddam it!!!"

Mmm, well, if you saw the yellow you wouldn't have passed, right?

"Right!!"

So, you never saw a yellow then?

"That's right!!"

So you wouldn't know if you passed under a yellow, really, would you?

"No, goddam it, I didn't pass under any friggin' yellow!!"

[Sigh]

Being a small part of the enforcement team @ MSR I thought I had heard some stories.
Here are mine from this weekend.

Driver: I'm 99% sure I did not hit him. 
Me: Please explain to me the 1%.
Driver: I slid to a stop in turn 1 but did not go 4 off and did not hit anyone!  So why the black flag?
Me: Here is some water, sit in the dog house and think about it.
Driver: My mom has something to say to you!
Mom: My son was in 6th and left the penalty box in 23rd.
Me: Hi Mom, is your son here to win this race?
Mom: Yes, he always wants to win.
Driver: Facepalm
Driver: I was not speeding in the pits! ! !
Me: Where is your speedo?
Driver: in a box in my pit! ! !  I use my Tach ! ! !
Me: Where is your Tach?
Driver: in the box with the Speedo but that's not what we are discussing here! ! !

SW Region / Judge Scott

Justice...with a smile.

H.K. Phooey wrote:

WOW, just WOW.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

I have some whining to add here!  With all of the racing and wrenching my panda team had to do, we couldn't walk around and witness the shenanigans.  We had a great time as always and I invite the judges/Lemons crew back for some more WalMart grilled sausages.  I think the weather and poor flagging station visibility had something to do with the large amount of racin' retardation.

I <3 Lemons.

Pistols for Pandas:  1988 beat to hell RX-7
Big Wheels Racing: 1985 beat to hell RX-7

We had A blast and plan to be back!

Red Mist Racing's #19 Caddy Shack Car

-Had some excellent racing with a couple cars mid day Saturday!

ecugrad wrote:
H.K. Phooey wrote:

WOW, just WOW.

Wait..what? Seriously?!

Yes, that actually happened

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

34 (edited by Cadillac Bob 2010-02-22 07:05 PM)

H.K. Phooey wrote:

Driver: I was not speeding in the pits! ! !
Me: Where is your speedo?
Driver: in a box in my pit! ! !  I use my Tach ! ! !
Me: Where is your Tach?
Driver: in the box with the Speedo but that's not what we are discussing here! ! !

SW Region / Judge Scott

This, gentlemen, is irrefutable logic.

And don't call me Shirley.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

We had fun... Thanks guys.. We earned all our penalties and even if we did not hey the parade was a fun way to finish off the throw out bearing so we only had third and fourth the rest of the day on Sunday.  We found some bolts on the trailer that fell off the car when we unloaded it.  Turns out one of the rear shocks was not even bolted on at the end of the day.  I think one of our drivers took Jay's word as gospel on an oil leak issue but we got it resolved and got back on the track. 

Hope to see you guys again with a ghetto rigged turbo 1600.  Maybe Dallas maybe Houston... Well see.

And Troy.... Congradulations.. It hurts but way to go.

Thanks again team Buckadillo.....

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!

how bout having mom write i will cut the umbilical cord now 200 times on the car or else they can't leave.

who the hell was that? LOL

gregtivo wrote:
ecugrad wrote:
H.K. Phooey wrote:

WOW, just WOW.

Wait..what? Seriously?!

David Hedderick
Houston, TX
1986 325ese Shitbox Lemons car (sold...blowed up)
1990 miata drift car...like the BMW only slower and with a twisted chassis :\

gregtivo wrote:
ecugrad wrote:
H.K. Phooey wrote:

WOW, just WOW.

Wait..what? Seriously?!

Freaking hilarious - Lemons as the launching pad to an international racing career!

- shortest Dorifto Dog

Stovebolt wrote:

The track crew used our clearly marked protruding tow hook that was thoughtfully welded onto some rusted and previously crashed and mashed radiator support and bumper stuff - the truck tried to pull the car and nearly tore that entire section of the car off - oops!  (and our tow hook was solid compared to 90% of the ones I saw!).

2 Solutions:

1. Stay out of the gravel.
2. Better tow points: probably the better solution since at some you going to need to be towed when:

Stovebolt wrote:

We had a much better planned race, until it of course it all went down the shitter, but of course that was expected at Lemons.

I think everyone starts with a great plan.  Some of them even might be.

The guys that finish well either keep it from going down the shitter longer or improvise better.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

The Mom deal was really just funny, it was a classic moment in time for me.

Justice...with a smile.

Regarding flagging.  It was okay.  We had some black flags that we did not earn but it was okay.  We got off easy for what we did get.

I am not sure how or why they decided not to use the Flag Station at the Diamonds Edge.

I swear I saw plenty of people pass under yellow in front of me too.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

ecugrad wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

but we're getting ready to start shipping busloads of Texans to South Carolina

No, stop and don't

+2

ummmm I'm even married to a Texas Girl (Richardson, TX) too and even she says "NO!"

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Troy wrote:

Regarding flagging.  It was okay.  We had some black flags that we did not earn but it was okay.  We got off easy for what we did get.

I am not sure how or why they decided not to use the Flag Station at the Diamonds Edge.

I'm a flagger and I agree. The flagging rules for Lemons are different than the races that we work any other race of the year, so you get some confusion in the flag stands. If you combine that with drivers that drive other types of racing during the year, now you have 2 sets of folks that are doing it differently than "normal". Last you have the first timers who aren't used to looking at flags anyway, and I think that for them, the rules are probably a little nebulous.

I'm working on a pair of guides for Lemons track communication - one for drivers and one for flaggers. In them, I also suggest augmenting the track set up with a pair of cones at each flag stand so that once and for all, there is NO QUESTION as to where the boundaries of authority lie for any particular flag stand. Along with the boundary cones, I'm going to suggest that the passing under yellow rule be changed to "You are under yellow from the time you pass the boundary cones for the station showing yellow UNTIL you pass the boundary cones of a station NOT showing yellow."

I think that with a clear marker on the track of boundaries, rather than an invisible line, that everyone will be on the same page. The "real race car drivers" will have to suck it up a little and deal with not being able to put the hammer back down as soon as they think they're in the clear, but the newbies will have an irrefutable point of reference on the track, and that's a good thing.

With clarified rules and boundaries, the judiciary can also feel free to ramp up the penalties. It's my guess that since the cops (flaggers) are working under a different set of rules than they're used to, there probably are some false arrests. If we can clean that up so that we're far more confident that everyone that gets set to the judge is guilty, then there's a chance of hearing a lot less bitching and whining in the box. True, we lose some of the banana republic law enforcement charm, but the judges are free to ratchet up their game to compensate for the fact that getting busted is now a much more clear cut affair.

OK, I've written a lot here, and I started out by agreeing with Troy. I should probably retreat until I have an offering, lest I get the duct tape too. smile

David Wiggins
Chuck Norris - Houston Oct 08, Brawndo, The Thrist Mutilator - Houston Feb 09
Ritual Killing Motorsports - Houston Oct 09
Nigerian Prince Racing - ECR 2010, Houston 2010, ECR 2011

+1 w00t

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

I've got nothing to say.....

1980 Chevy Malibu Classic

after working as a flagger our plan is when ya see a yellow don't pass....and don't pass again till you pass a station with no flag LOL

We will loose positions all weekend, but hope to FINALLY do one race where we get no penalties smile

David Hedderick
Houston, TX
1986 325ese Shitbox Lemons car (sold...blowed up)
1990 miata drift car...like the BMW only slower and with a twisted chassis :\

w00t wrote:
Troy wrote:

I'm a flagger and I agree. The flagging rules for Lemons are different than the races that we work any other race of the year, so you get some confusion in the flag stands. If you combine that with drivers that drive other types of racing during the year, now you have 2 sets of folks that are doing it differently than "normal". Last you have the first timers who aren't used to looking at flags anyway, and I think that for them, the rules are probably a little nebulous.

I'm working on a pair of guides for Lemons track communication - one for drivers and one for flaggers. In them, I also suggest augmenting the track set up with a pair of cones at each flag stand so that once and for all, there is NO QUESTION as to where the boundaries of authority lie for any particular flag stand. Along with the boundary cones, I'm going to suggest that the passing under yellow rule be changed to "You are under yellow from the time you pass the boundary cones for the station showing yellow UNTIL you pass the boundary cones of a station NOT showing yellow."

I think that with a clear marker on the track of boundaries, rather than an invisible line, that everyone will be on the same page. The "real race car drivers" will have to suck it up a little and deal with not being able to put the hammer back down as soon as they think they're in the clear, but the newbies will have an irrefutable point of reference on the track, and that's a good thing.

With clarified rules and boundaries, the judiciary can also feel free to ramp up the penalties. It's my guess that since the cops (flaggers) are working under a different set of rules than they're used to, there probably are some false arrests. If we can clean that up so that we're far more confident that everyone that gets set to the judge is guilty, then there's a chance of hearing a lot less bitching and whining in the box. True, we lose some of the banana republic law enforcement charm, but the judges are free to ratchet up their game to compensate for the fact that getting busted is now a much more clear cut affair.

OK, I've written a lot here, and I started out by agreeing with Troy. I should probably retreat until I have an offering, lest I get the duct tape too. smile

As a driver and a former official I applaud the effort and agree that guides that increase understanding for the contestants and for the flaggers certainly can't hurt and would probably shorten if not eliminate a lot of argument.  However, I don't think the boundary cone thing is practical.  That's way too much for a driver to try to track and for a flagger to enforce.

It seems that officials tend to presume that the primary reason a driver misses a flag is because he saw it and ignored it.  If he didn't see it, then he is just a "crappy driver."  The truth is that most drivers miss flags because they are BUSY.  Busy trying to not get hit or trying not to hit someone else or lose control or go off the pavement or miss track out or the next apex or sliding on that puddle of oil or mud or hitting that curb or trying to pass that asshat that has been blocking him for two laps.  Adding checking a 18" tall boundary cone to the side of the track won't work.  Then there will be arguments over whether someone was passed it or not and judgments made by a corner worker that is long distance away from it.  Just put the line of sight rule in your guide along with "when in doubt, don't pass".  In these races waiting one more corner to make a pass isn't going to determine a winner and a loser anyway.

sydallard wrote:

It seems that officials tend to presume that the primary reason a driver misses a flag is because he saw it and ignored it.  If he didn't see it, then he is just a "crappy driver."  The truth is that most drivers miss flags because they are BUSY.

One could argue that if you're too busy to check flags every time you come around the track, then you're doing it wrong. Said another way, checking flags EVERY time is part of race car driving. It's part of the skill set you need to win this game. I know there are entire teams of drivers that have this skill set, and every race, one of them ends up leaving the track w/ 300 pounds of change. I understand being busy, I've driven a few of these races myself. I've also missed flags.

Why did I miss a flag? Because I was being a crappy race car driver. I was keeping the car under control, not hitting anything or anyone, and doing a great job of driving, but i was doing a terrible job of RACE driving, because I missed a flag.

Where do crappy race car drivers go? They go to talk to the judges.

My intention is to eliminate ambivalence. Under the present rules, a corner worker may have to make a judgement as to whether or not a driver should be able to see his flag. I seek to make it a question of facts. "was I showing yellow when he passed me? has he left my area of control? did he pass another car?"  If all 3 answers are yes, you call it in.

The reason I suggested the cones was so that nobody has to guess where the invisible line is. Again, I'm looking to eliminate ambivalence. Truthfully, once the race is underway and everyone knows where the lines are, the cones could be removed, but that's kinda dangerous. I know that I'm not gonna volunteer to run out and collect the cones while there are 125 busted ass cars tearing ass around the track.

at any rate, i'll have my guides for drivers and corner workers done soon enough, and i'll send them to Jay. He can choose to use them, or not. I hope he does, but it's not my circus.

David Wiggins
Chuck Norris - Houston Oct 08, Brawndo, The Thrist Mutilator - Houston Feb 09
Ritual Killing Motorsports - Houston Oct 09
Nigerian Prince Racing - ECR 2010, Houston 2010, ECR 2011

w00t wrote:
sydallard wrote:

It seems that officials tend to presume that the primary reason a driver misses a flag is because he saw it and ignored it.  If he didn't see it, then he is just a "crappy driver."  The truth is that most drivers miss flags because they are BUSY.

One could argue that if you're too busy to check flags every time you come around the track, then you're doing it wrong. Said another way, checking flags EVERY time is part of race car driving. It's part of the skill set you need to win this game. I know there are entire teams of drivers that have this skill set, and every race, one of them ends up leaving the track w/ 300 pounds of change. I understand being busy, I've driven a few of these races myself. I've also missed flags.

Why did I miss a flag? Because I was being a crappy race car driver. I was keeping the car under control, not hitting anything or anyone, and doing a great job of driving, but i was doing a terrible job of RACE driving, because I missed a flag.

Where do crappy race car drivers go? They go to talk to the judges.

My intention is to eliminate ambivalence. Under the present rules, a corner worker may have to make a judgement as to whether or not a driver should be able to see his flag. I seek to make it a question of facts. "was I showing yellow when he passed me? has he left my area of control? did he pass another car?"  If all 3 answers are yes, you call it in.

The reason I suggested the cones was so that nobody has to guess where the invisible line is. Again, I'm looking to eliminate ambivalence. Truthfully, once the race is underway and everyone knows where the lines are, the cones could be removed, but that's kinda dangerous. I know that I'm not gonna volunteer to run out and collect the cones while there are 125 busted ass cars tearing ass around the track.

at any rate, i'll have my guides for drivers and corner workers done soon enough, and i'll send them to Jay. He can choose to use them, or not. I hope he does, but it's not my circus.

Honestly, as a newb driver, it makes more sense to me to have it as line of sight. If you can see a flag stand that you are sure there is no flag, game on. Cant see the next flag stand due to a portapot? Hold off on that pass until you can see that they absolutely do not have a flag out.

That is what I told my team, and it worked well for us. It makes us as drivers look at the flaggers first instead of passing (possibly under yellow) and then checking the flag stand.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

You guys are over thinking this stuff. It is Lemons racing.  IT'S Lemons.  IT is Lemons. Cones will get knocked over, run over, Can't see them when you are three wide, one more thing to look for. Forget it.

The rules are fine as is. It is Simple. Just except it, you or someone on your team is gonna get a black flag, frankly it is part of the fun. At our last race we had a get out of jail card and we didn' use it as we were not in the hunt and we thought "hey let's get the full experience" . We had fun doin' up a Swingin' Bob Ross.

K.I.S.S. Lemons please don't change any rules.  I have only done 2 races. I like the break from "real" racing. Lemons is a Hoot as is. Embrace it.

Only thing we need to change is the judges start bribing ME with alcohol!

1400 I would say that would be a cold day in hell but a SHO just won and the saints just won the super bowl so who knows.....

anyway it was a big confusing flagging but we got it down by the end of the weekend.