Re: Clarification on "Frowned Upon" cars

I think there were a lot of offs at the carousel and at the kink. how serious were they? not sure. there were no rollovers (i coulda swore that was a Lemons first) although a dodge dynasty went on it's side. more likely there was some serious offs at the kink when people going full-bore realized there was a turn and a pinch point there. I drove a Buick with stock suspension through there @ 90 with just a brief lift (see davevsbuick on youtube) and never went off track.

as for frowned upon cars, I think at least in the eyes of the masses, miatas, 94+ mustangs, Porsche 944s, integras, and Rx7s are generally bad mojo. Most of them are totally legit, especially if they were acquired from a ricer that T-boned someone in a street race. but that's the rub. readily-available aftermarket performance parts make these cars look like instant cheatanium. (sorry just trying to get back on topic smile )

Serj wrote:

I think there were a lot of offs at the carousel and at the kink. how serious were they? not sure. there were no rollovers (i coulda swore that was a Lemons first) although a dodge dynasty went on it's side. more likely there was some serious offs at the kink when people going full-bore realized there was a turn and a pinch point there. I drove a Buick with stock suspension through there @ 90 with just a brief lift (see davevsbuick on youtube) and never went off track.

as for frowned upon cars, I think at least in the eyes of the masses, miatas, 94+ mustangs, Porsche 944s, integras, and Rx7s are generally bad mojo. Most of them are totally legit, especially if they were acquired from a ricer that T-boned someone in a street race. but that's the rub. readily-available aftermarket performance parts make these cars look like instant cheatanium. (sorry just trying to get back on topic smile )

Not aimed at anyone in particular, just thinking out loud.  The thing to remember about cheat cars, is that most of them don't do EVERYTHING well.

Mustang?  Heavy, and the SN95+ are large cars overall.  Sure the V8's have power, but the suspension is absolute garbage(I own a Fox-body so I know lol)

Porsche...any of them really, you have to worry about engine longevity and ease of purchasing parts/repair.  Braking and handling are their positives.

Miatas.....ok yes, cheater cars!  Really though, they handle and brake well, and their light weight and suspension setup allows them to put down what little power they have.

RX-7...we have one.  Handles well, brakes awesome(4 piston calipers and 4 wheel vented discs STOCK!), but the rotary was our weak link.  I've heard the tranny on these cars sucks, also.

In the grand scheme of things, these frowned upon cars do a couple of things right, which is more than most of the crapheaps raced in Lemons.  But it still doesn't matter how fast your car is if you're stuck in the penalty box, or in the pits repairing equipment failure.

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)

Frowned-upon cars can become smiled-upon with the right theme (e.g., Operation E30, Porcubimmer E30, Eyesore Miata).

MurileeMartin wrote:

Frowned-upon cars can become smiled-upon with the right theme (e.g., Operation E30, Porcubimmer E30, Eyesore Miata).

barbie gets no luv???

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

MurileeMartin wrote:

We do Lemons because we are hoping, some day, to see a race with 150 Le Cars, Scorpions, Bradley GTs, Triumph Mayflowers, Eldorado Biarritzes, and Reattas, all piloted by drivers who manage to avoid bashing into each other.

Where's the Fiat love???

Josh Poage
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2009 Yee-haw It's Texas
Prison Break Racing - 1986 325e #27 - 2010 Gator-o-Rama
Poage Ma Thoin Racing - 1981 Fiat Brava #09 - 2011 Heaps in the Heart of Texas

Baron wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

barbie gets no luv???

Barbie gets a modicum of luv for being the most terrible Miata we've ever seen, but we think Barbie should drive a GT6.

I think we may be the first 90's northstar caddy racer come June

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

bigds01 wrote:

I think we may be the first 90's northstar caddy racer come June

No...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

While our goal is definitely the IOE in our Pepe LeCar, I will admit that it kinda sucks to be passed Constantly.  So I can definitely see why it is tempting to use a more "frowned-on" models.  Then again, try rounding 3/4 of a turn on two wheels in a miata!

1982 Renault LeCar "Pepe"
2010 Gator-O-Rama rollover
2010 North Dallas Hooptie IOE Winner!!