1 (edited by JasonC 2010-02-24 12:14 PM)

Topic: Gator '10 - Chart from MyLaps data

I made a spreadsheet in Excel to plot the mylaps data.  It's a plot of different car's position vs. which lap the winner's car is on.  It would be more informative to plot the car's position vs. time, but I don't know how to get that info.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2749/4381565016_525e45c0a6_b.jpg

It's interesting (if you're a nerdy engineer like me) to see how many places you lose for pit stops and penalties, and you can generally see how well a car can move through traffic judging by the downward slope of the line.  You can also see different cars switch places.  Check out the battle for second place for the last 90 laps!  I plotted the top five finishers.  If anyone would like to see their cars compared to others, just let me know.  I can plot up to eight different cars, but it gets pretty messy and hard to read.

edit:
Here's the full res pdf:
http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0BwL … &hl=en

Here's the spreadsheet:

And a couple comparisons that people were asking for:

Re: Gator '10 - Chart from MyLaps data

Very cool graph and I agree that it is enlightening to see how many places are lost on pit stops and penalties.  Thanks for posting it!

Mike
Lemons Oct 2008, Oct 2009, Feb 2010, Oct 2011

I know all about that battle for 2nd! smile

Got a higher res image you can post or link to also?

Mike N
team JB Weld ('97 Pontiac Grand Prix)
team eLemonators ('91 Toyota Celica - retired)

good stuff.  On that vien, can some one explain this to me?  It shows that we started out 5 laps behind the leader.  We were out running when the green flag droped, what gives?

us   leader
1       6        3:07.664       0.000     1:00.306   45.656
2       7        2:35.868   -31.796         28.510   54.970

if you could plot my team on that graph with: the top three cars, us (337 @40th place), and my  at friend (39th place), i would be thankfull.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

I had the same issue.  I had a 5 lap penalty - but showed 10 laps down after one hour - despite not noticing being lapped by anyone.  Since we still stink overall - I wasn't to worried about it.  I did wonder though. 

I need to figure out what each of the following costs us:
   Slow pit stops
   Excessive Pit stops (making sure everyone gets to drive each day)
   Slow driving (out fastest is a 2:06)
   Penalty Laps (5)
   Black flags
   Mechanical issues (we had two this time - but they were better than a motor swap last time)

I just wonder if we could get a top 20 if we had it together better.  It's out second race - and I was glad we started and finished both days. 

Grover
#85 SE-R Black/Green

Just for a reference, how about plotting our #0 Crewe Le Pew Le Car?  That should be an eye opener for how slow we really were!  big_smile

Crewe Le Pew
1982 Renault Le Car "Pepe le Pew"
big_smile 2010 North Dallas Hooptie IOE WINNER!!!!!

That fur mobile was one of the few cars our diesel volvo could actually pass.  Then..........there it was........in the grass by the hair pin with a guy running over with at fire extinguisher.   BTW, I bet one of your team members was hurt'n really bad Sunday morning.

GreenPiece Diesel
Maybe one day we'll build a real car.

Can anyone do a chart graphing my sodium level during the cooking competition?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Can you put your Excel sheet for us to download so you don't have to
to do all the work - unless you are into that .

Thanks good stuff.

2008  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - DarthBimmer; 2009 Houston Gator-O-Rama - Beermer; 2009  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - Jewish Defense League BMW; 2010 Houston Gator-O-Rama - SwampJews from Hell; 2010 Houston Yee-Haw Texas - JDL - JEGS....errrr JEWS; 2011 Houston Gator-O-Rama - B Team - IOE Winner!; 2011 Houston Yee-Haw - Los Escorpions de Munich; 2012 TWS Yee-Haw Texas - B-Team - Dr. StrangeBenz

Judge Jonny wrote:

I'm pretty sure that it looks like this

l                       l
l                       l
l                      /
l                    /
l                  /
l                /
l              /
l            /
l          /
l        /
l      /
l___________________

The vertical part is when you walked off with a whole bowl of nudy chili

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Judge Jonny wrote:

We missed said cook off... where was this? Why no signs?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Cook Off was posted here on the forum and happened near the restroom and the Nudist Resort Pit area around 7:00 pm Saturday night.

You just had to follow the smell, crowd and lights.

Regarding Jonny's sodium level.  I'd suggest no salt again until No Problem at which time you will once again introduce toxic sodium levels to your body.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

okay if I am reading it correctly...the dark red was the winner...& it looks like they did 1 pit stop per day?????????

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

14 (edited by st_rage 2010-02-23 04:38 PM)

....or they had such a lead that they didn't lose a position when they pitted.  I think that's why the graph looks much smoother on the second day.  At the beginning all the cars are on the same lap, so any pit stop or flag will cost you many positions.  At the end of the second day half the cars are on jack stands and the few cars out running may have many laps between them.

I'd be interested in seeing the number of laps vs time charted.  I think it would more accurately show the effect of pit stops.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Unfortunately the excel spreadsheet is on my work computer, but I can't access Flickr from work... Now I'm at home where I can get to Flickr, but don't have the spreadsheet.

To the people that emailed me, I'll be happy to send you the spreadsheet tomorrow.  If you could host it for everyone to share, that'd be cool.  Otherwise, everyone that wants it just send me a message and I'll get it out tomorrow.

Jason

icemang17 wrote:

okay if I am reading it correctly...the dark red was the winner...& it looks like they did 1 pit stop per day?????????

No. We did a fuel stop driver change at noon Sat, then a pad change/fuel top off stop around 2:30, and finally other fuel driver stop about 4:30.
Sunday it was just one fuel stop around 12:30. There were a buttload of caution laps Sunday morning with the rain. Got real good MPG's.

sergio wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

No. We did a fuel stop driver change at noon Sat, then a pad change/fuel top off stop around 2:30, and finally other fuel driver stop about 4:30.
Sunday it was just one fuel stop around 12:30. There were a buttload of caution laps Sunday morning with the rain. Got real good MPG's.

1 driver drove ALL DAY on Sunday...talk about lucky!!!  and TIRED...damm

2.5+ hour stints is quite good too for such a heavy high HP car....we are hoping to get similar stints in the Estate if we can manage to be gentle to the go pedal...

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:
sergio wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

1 driver drove ALL DAY on Sunday...talk about lucky!!!  and TIRED...damm

2.5+ hour stints is quite good too for such a heavy high HP car....we are hoping to get similar stints in the Estate if we can manage to be gentle to the go pedal...

The plan was for me to drive first Sunday. Next was Martin and Jay would finish. Then about an hour in, the rain came. RWD cars were spinning out everywhere. The Saab 900 and another car wrecked on the back straight. Niether could be towed, they had to flat bed them, with only one truck. So that took a while to get both of them gone. Then a Mazda blew up in the same place pucking oil on the track. They towed him back thru the grass along side the track. Then the 2 Mustangs wrecked, one on it's roof. That took forever to clear up. Plus to right it, the tow truck had to use the pit road exit. So it was closed and all the ones in the pit had to wait while we did laps under full course caution. That was lucky for us. I had half a tank of gas, no need for fuel. I'm coasting and using 5th gear during the cautions. Plus we figured the Neon didn't hold too much gas and they would need to come in before us.

After driving some more but not really racing, trying to save gas, the engine sputters for fuel in a turn. Time to pit. My teammates in the pit did not want to drive on a wet track especially being in the lead. I get out to help fuel and check the front pads, they tell me they don't want to drive. OK. I stay out to the finish. More rain, the Neon was on the same lap with an hour to go but couldn't catch us. They needed gas with 30 minutes left. Then it was basically drive safe to the end. I think we had a 2 lap lead.

One of my teammates asked when I got out of the car, don't you have to pee? Not really, weird. I was expecting to be sore on Monday but nothing. With all the cautions and driving in the wet you're not pulling the G's you do on a dry track. Now it's more stressfull to keep the car under control, but that's more mental than physical.

The trip odometer read 797 miles at the end. Used 4 quarts of oil during the race plus another one to get home. It's the 3rd race for the car. 5th race for me. 4th for my teammates. It's taken us this long to work out all the details. Get the right radios, fuel jugs that empty fast, strategy, prepare the car etc etc.

Just learned to use Google Docs, so I updated the original post with links to the full spreadsheet and a couple other graphs. 

I understand that if you used your own transponder you can get the full data set for the race, including times, etc??  Would it be possible for someone to forward me that data?

very cool, but I have to admit I am not sure what it all means.  I can tell where our drivers change was and the one black flag. seems like we were making up time but just not a fast enough rate.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

Thanks for putting the sheet together, Jason. Pretty cool.

We don't have our own transponder, but I have seen the detail available if one can get to it. It provides a lap time for every lap for a specific car, but you're still left guessing how that compares to other cars' times. It is handy for seeing how your drivers compare to each other (that is, fodder for trash-talking). Also handy for evaluating how the pit stops went vs. each other.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

22 (edited by SCIV 2010-03-03 03:27 PM)

Thanks for that!!

If I read our graph correctly, our #0 Pepe Le Car was in first place at the start!!?!?!??/???

Crewe Le Pew
1982 Renault Le Car "Pepe le Pew"
big_smile 2010 North Dallas Hooptie IOE WINNER!!!!!