Topic: So...we have a car to dispose of...need advice

The car donating the motor to the Craptation is kinda, ummm, stolen. After we separate it from its motor, can we just abandon it at the local salvage yard?  Obviously we don't have a title for it.  Will this need to be a stealth move or should we call the salvage yard and make arrangements?  i heard they don't like to take cars with no title. 

The other option is to re-abandon it in the field we, ummm, borrowed it from with the Craptation seized 2.8 liter motor in the passenger seat.  What would you do?

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Re: So...we have a car to dispose of...need advice

Not post shit like this online...

Honestly though. An abandoned vehicle should fit under some form of your states DOT. But the proper channels would require a little paperwork. Taking a car from a spot is grand theft auto and posting about it is probably one of the dumbest things you can do.

Put it back... quick.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Sawzall it up into small sections and haul it to a metal scrap yard.  Either that or put it on the curb one piece at a time for trash pickup.

When we scrapped our parts car, we really lucked out.  It happened to be the night before trash day and two guys in a van were driving around looking for scrap to collect.  We had just started cutting the shell and since we had a few small parts laying in the driveway, they stopped and asked us if they could have them.  We told them that if they gave us an hour, they could have the entire car shell.  They returned with an empty van and took the whole thing off our hands.  No muss, no fuss.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

If it's older than 15 years, it's unlikely anyone will ask questions.   Still, if it is truly "stolen" in the sense that someone's still looking for it, you probably shouldn't have posted this.

I've gotten rid of old, rusty, non-titled cars by cutting them into chunks and hauling 'em down with the rest of my misc. scrap.  None were stolen, though.

FWIW, when I had my own shop, I came in one morning to find a stolen/joyridden car in my parking lot.  I reported it to the police, but they said that since it was on private property I would have to pay to have it removed/towed!!  Nuts to that.  I picked it up with my forklift and dumped it on the street.  2 days later the city had it towed.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

Riktor wrote:

Not post shit like this online...

Honestly though. An abandoned vehicle should fit under some form of your states DOT. But the proper channels would require a little paperwork. Taking a car from a spot is grand theft auto and posting about it is probably one of the dumbest things you can do.

Put it back... quick.

There's more to the story than you know,  relax.  We just want advice on how to dispose of the carcass.

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Cadillac Bob wrote:

If it's older than 15 years, it's unlikely anyone will ask questions.   Still, if it is truly "stolen" in the sense that someone's still looking for it, you probably shouldn't have posted this.

I've gotten rid of old, rusty, non-titled cars by cutting them into chunks and hauling 'em down with the rest of my misc. scrap.  None were stolen, though.

FWIW, when I had my own shop, I came in one morning to find a stolen/joyridden car in my parking lot.  I reported it to the police, but they said that since it was on private property I would have to pay to have it removed/towed!!  Nuts to that.  I picked it up with my forklift and dumped it on the street.  2 days later the city had it towed.

hahahaha there's a thought.

7 (edited by Riktor 2010-02-23 12:05 PM)

Jer wrote:

There's more to the story than you know,  relax.  We just want advice on how to dispose of the carcass.

Then do this... I can't say I have done this but I know if it being done and working well. http://boards.bootsnall.com/images/smilies/Suspicious_Emoticon.gif

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Sawzall it up into small sections and haul it to a metal scrap yard.  Either that or put it on the curb one piece at a time for trash pickup.

When we scrapped our parts car, we really lucked out.  It happened to be the night before trash day and two guys in a van were driving around looking for scrap to collect.  We had just started cutting the shell and since we had a few small parts laying in the driveway, they stopped and asked us if they could have them.  We told them that if they gave us an hour, they could have the entire car shell.  They returned with an empty van and took the whole thing off our hands.  No muss, no fuss.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

its highly dependent on the laws in the state where you live..& I'm not very familiar with PA laws.... BUT I like the idea of putting it back where you found it..... (clear of evidence-fingerprints)....

what could possibly go wrong...other than getting arrested for felony possession of a stolen vehicle and a 18 month to 3 year prison term

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

that'd be a hell of a penalty for a flag lol

icemang17 wrote:

what could possibly go wrong...other than getting arrested for felony possession of a stolen vehicle and a 18 month to 3 year prison term

It's not stolen - Think Mercedes S600.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I said there was more to the story, relax.  The question remains the best way to dispose of the untitlable car...

RobL wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

It's not stolen - Think Mercedes S600.

What crap ass country has its diplomats driving around the US in any car with a GM 60-degree V6?!

Or is there more to the motor than what you're telling us, eh?

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

There are scrap guys that will haul it off without a title and even give you a buck or two.

Hit up craigslist for one of the 1000s of guys that spam it every day looking for junk cars.  They'll haul it away and probably put $100 in you hand.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Stock 3400 motor, should bolt right in to the Craptation.  Nothing special about it except it's FREE!  I guess I will make some calls and see if someone will take it sans title.  Money coming back could help us rebuild the worthless brake system in the Craptation.

15 (edited by MurileeMartin 2010-02-23 05:39 PM)

Just drag it to a wealthy neighborhood and drop it off in front of the most ostentatious house you can find. It will be towed and disposed of within the hour.

Not that I've ever done that.

16 (edited by Jer 2010-02-23 06:53 PM)

I have suggested dropping it off in front of Lord and Taylor at the mall at midnight on a Saturday with no wheels or doors (they can be sold)

Left in 60 Seconds... 

Sounds like a good title for a movie.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Jer wrote:

I have suggested dropping it off in front of Lord and Taylor at the mall at midnight on a Saturday with no wheels or doors (they can be sold)

malls have security cameras...............

forddragracer wrote:
Jer wrote:

malls have security cameras...............

Don't use YOUR OWN truck to drop it off.  Gotta explain every last little thing....

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

There are a few laces out here that will pick up a car, title or not, for free. They used to charge $50 to pick it up, but a few other yards opened and they all do it free now. I had a truck given to me once that had no title, and I pulled the engine, transmission, axle, and cab and had it towed away. They made me sign a release of liability, and I never heard about it again.

Keeping it real since last Tuesday!

Yeah, it could get a little hairy to dump it in a place that might be monitored.  I'll try doing it the salvage pickup way when the time comes.   Cue the mission impossible theme again when the time comes...

Monster Joe's Truck and Tow

^^^yup.  Jer, you ain't got no problem.  I'm on the m---f----.  Go back in there, cool them n--- out, and wait for the Wolf, who should be arriving directly.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

^^^yup.  Jer, you ain't got no problem.  I'm on the m---f----.  Go back in there, cool them n--- out, and wait for the Wolf, who should be arriving directly.

Was the english?

Sons of STIG

Riktor wrote:

Was the english?

Dude, really?