Topic: Failure mode of a turbocharged Volvo Redblock?

My volvo powered chevette will finally be making its Lemons debut at the Get Yer Phil 500 and I have some questions. I have multiple spare engines, but I would like to know what is most likely to fail and what I can do to prevent it from happening.

I'm running a home-brew turbo set up on stock internal engines with a megasquirt ecu. I'm not using any "skinny rod" b230s, I have a 1991 b230, a 1979 b21, and an earl 80s b23 with plans to get at least 1 more spare b23 or b230.

What should I look out for?

Overly ambitious 17 year old with a welder

2 (edited by gump 2018-08-14 11:49 AM)

Re: Failure mode of a turbocharged Volvo Redblock?

Head gasket has been our only B230 engine-family related failure.  It would be awesome if you happened to find a B230FT at Pick Ur Part with ARP head studs and a Cometic MLS head gasket. *wink*

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

B230FT is common and easier to keep spares for.  It has all the improvements to make it last under well managed boost up to about 9.5 PSI (more is possible but headgasket life expectency goes down).  It only uses a single knock sensor and they are sensitive to correct torque and orientation.

The 1993+ 940 B230F is less common but splits the difference of a high compression ration, availability and has the oil-squirter block.  They take about 6.5-7 PSI reliably but the pool of those that have used them boosted for endurance race is either small or non-existant.  Most of the same warning as for the B230FT.

B23 is the stoutest engine Volvo ever made but hard to find, parts are much more expensive and the gains just are not worth it.

B230FT's on the street average about 180K per head gasket so even though they are the weak link, that link is still strong.  Head studs mentioned are cheap insurance but I have never heard of one of the headgaskets failing do to insufficient clamping force.

Volvo intercoolers from the B230FT's were all stolen from from the PnP's for other people's ghettocharging projects because they are large and well built.

Don't know volvo engines, but heat is what usually does turbo engines in. Keep the coolant under 210, under 200 really if you can. Get a massive oil cooler. Turbos really heat up oil, and overheated oil does not protect an engine. A lot of people like RX7 coolers because they're large and have a built in thermostat.

If you're doing your own tuning make sure it's done conservatively. No chance of knock, don't push the envelope. Lower your rev limit as well. For the sake of reliability we always shift our cars 800-1000rpm below OEM redline.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I have only raced my 740 wagon with B230FT twice, but I have had two failures.
I was running stock boost.

1. Wiring - the 80s wiring is biodegradable and sucks.  I completely eliminated all unnecessary wiring and fixed any crappy splices, wires and connectors after our first race. We were losing power in the corners and I think it was from a crappy splice in the hall sensor cable.  If you are using any part of the stock Volvo wiring harness, I suggest you check every wire.

2. Waste gate studs were backing out completely.  After an hour of racing I would find studs missing, not the nuts!  I don't know why they were backing out, but I safety wired every stud together after the turbo.

After that I did one 24 hour race with zero issues that stopped us racing.  The M46 transmission overdrive did not survive the race and slips in reverse and downshifts.  We are putting in a different transmission to replace it now.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

1. Wiring - the 80s wiring is biodegradable and sucks.  I completely eliminated all unnecessary wiring and fixed any crappy splices, wires and connectors after our first race. We were losing power in the corners and I think it was from a crappy splice in the hall sensor cable.  If you are using any part of the stock Volvo wiring harness, I suggest you check every wire.

FYI, only certain years.  On the 240 is ended mid-1986.  740 I thought is was start of 1987.  The distributor plug on the block mounted distributors was always an issue...the hall sensor to plug wire itself is a common problem is those as well but that is less a Volvo issue than just poor design from bosch...replacing the sensor with one from a VW squareback solves two issues there...and the perfect time to mod in a different plug design.

As mentioned your tune will be important with megasquirt. Running conservative timing means extra heat into everything if you go too conservative. Too much & detonation means your engine is done and it's replacement will be done quickly as well. Similar thing happens going too far rich or lean -> detonation.
With a good tune you should be able to make more power than a stock tune safely.
Don't forget colder plugs if warranted for power levels you're pushing it to.
If it hasn't run in a while the injectors may be gunky.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

This is how we dealt with stock volvo wiring:
https://i.imgur.com/MjtfsYDl.jpg

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

I SWEAR there is a sweet spot(s).  Mostly 1987+ to 2001 or prior to 1981.  really...promise.  780 and 260 excliuded.

I dunno.  My '90 240 has its share of electrical gremmies.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["