Topic: Dahlinboysracing: car and brake info

All,

Phil and I really want to understand what happened. Here is how the car was/is set up:

Car is a 1996 Acura Integra GSR. We built it over the 2013/14 winter and have raced it 18 times in both Lemons and Chump. During the build we removed the ABS per instructions found on Honda/Acura forums and replaced the proportioning valve as recommended.

The first season (3 races)we used the stock calipers with EBC rotors and pads (yellow I think). We then replaced the front calipers with Wilwood 4 piston calipers, and ran the wilwood pads and rotors for a race or two, then went to Porterfield R4 pads, and used wilwood fluid.

When he Wilwood rotors wore out we switched to EBC rotors. Various brake ducts have been used starting with Naca duct to dryer hose, and currently homemade ducts with dryer hose.

For the last 3 years we have been using Penzoil DOT3/4 fluid. Why, we are not sure. We ran out of Wilwood and...

Before the NJMP race this year the fluid was flushed and replaced with new. Before Thompson the rotors were replaced (new EBC) and the braked bleed.

After practice at Thompson Friday the brakes were bleed again, The car was run for about 2 1/2 hours total for practice.

After the Saturday session the front pads were replaced (again with Porterfield R4) on Sunday morning. We did find on the left front the the pads were wearing unevenly, and the slides were cleaned and greased.

Some random notes:

For the first 3 winters the car was either stored indoors or in a sea container behind my shop at work. This past winter it was stored outside under a tarp in my driveway.

We had a brake light switch issue for the last couple house on Saturday, the brake lights were stuck on. Sat evening I crawled in and under the dash, a grommet that contacted the switch had come out, and we replaced it with a piece of aluminum.

Before Thompson, we replaced the radiator, and Phil noticed later that when I reran the brake ducts they were aimed at the rotors, not the calipers.

We ran the car with the exact same set up (including fluid) at Thompson 2 years ago without issue. If you were there you remember the heat.

Not sure what else is relevant. Is there a way to test brake fluid to see if it has boiled? What do we look for in the caliper or master cylinder?

The car is toast, I'm not sure I'd even reuse the cage at this point. I'm happy to answer any other questions anyone has.

Fritz

Dahlinboysracing W/Frankenphil  '11 Crown Royal Vic SPWV 73 '12 Tom Sellecka Toyota NJMP 75 SPWV 43 NHMS 65, '13  Toylaren Monticello 120, Daytona 102, SPWV  83 HF! NJMP 41 NHMS 48th '14 Fireball  Integra NJMP 24th NJMP 18th NHMS 90th '15 NJMP 54th Daytona 33RD SPWV 4th Thompson  79th CMP 13th '16 NJMP 43 Thompson 21 CMP 32nd NHMS 24 '17 FB Integra NJMP 68 Cledus Snow Eldorado IGS 118, NCM 24

Re: Dahlinboysracing: car and brake info

What kind of uneven wear were you seeing on the pads? Some types are normal, others might tell you that pads were sticking. You said you greased the slides, but if there was more buildup on the brackets than ususal from the car being outside more, or the new pads had backing plates that didn't fit as nicely, or a combination of both, the pads might have been sticking in the brackets and rubbing more than normal.

I highly doubt the Penzoil fluid has a boiling temp as high as more performance based fluids. I'm trying to find a spec sheet to confirm that. However, as that is more a street fluid, if you had pads that were wearing weird and indicating sticking, that could have contributed to more heat build up than normal.

When you say you bled the brakes before thompson, and again after practice, do you mean just bled where you check for no bubbles, or do you mean fully flushed where you tried to replace all fluid in the system? Did you use new previously unopened bottles of fluid each time?

Your ducts should be aimed at the rotor. The rotor is the main heat sink for heat generated during braking and most heat goes that way, not back to the caliper and fluid. You want air flow aimed at the center of the rotor so it can pull that through and cool between braking points. If you keep the rotor cooling properly that helps keep the pads cool and therefore everything upstream cool.

Lots of speculation in my post, just trying to give you things to investigate and think through.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

3 (edited by OnkelUdo 2018-08-15 05:45 AM)

Just perusing Tech sheets on brake fluid since the majority of folks seem to lean to boiled fluid (though why is not well covered).

ATE Type 200 (kinda the generic racing DOT 4): Dry boiling 280C and Wet boiling 198C
Penzoil Brake Fluid Dot 4/3: Dry boiling 272C and wet boiling 162C

Your R4 pads are best (per the manufacturer) when temps that will exceed 232C.

So this kinda explains why folks, on top of experience, keep saying boiled fluid.  Right or wrong it is the most common scenario when using good components for a complete failure of the brakes that then function in the paddock.  If your brake pads work best at or over the MINIMUM DOT 4 approval temp (230C) and the wet (saturated) boiling point of your fluid and common racing fluid is well below that...it means we ALL of us should be dilligent about making sure we are close to the "Dry" end of the spectrum as possible.

Kinda of a wake up call for me as well.  We only tend to bleed the brakes on the Van that has amazing brakes.  The '47 Plymouth is barely sorted but it is getting fresh Type 4 this weekend and since it uses a less amazing brake system, we need to be twice as dilligent on that car.

TheEngineer wrote:

I highly doubt the Penzoil fluid has a boiling temp as high as more performance based fluids. I'm trying to find a spec sheet to confirm that. However, as that is more a street fluid, if you had pads that were wearing weird and indicating sticking, that could have contributed to more heat build up than normal.

Penzoil 4/3

https://prodepc.blob.core.windows.net/e … TDS_v1.pdf

5 (edited by TheEngineer 2018-08-15 05:46 AM)

Found some info on boiling points. All temps in F.

I found some random spec sheet for penzoil DOT3 (edit: same one linked in the post above)
Dry Boiling Point - 447
Wet Boiling Point - 294

ATE Type 200
Dry Boiling Point - 536
Wet Boiling Point - 388

Motul RBF600
Dry Boiling Point - 594
Wet Boiling Point -399

Wilwood EXP600 Plus
Dry Boiling Point - 626
Wet Boiling Point - 417

Wilwood HI-TEMP
Dry Boiling Point - 573
Wet Boiling Point - 313

The Penzoil is no where close to real racing fluid. If you don't want to pay the premium on the wilwood or Motul fluids go with the ATE Type 200. Same stuff as the old super blue, really reasonably priced, and proven to work. It's what we've always used. It's about $20/liter on amazon. The motul works out to $32/liter, but they seem to mostly sell 500mL bottles.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

6 (edited by TheEngineer 2018-08-15 05:57 AM)

One more post, about boiling fluid and why it's so scary. Boiling fluid doesn't come on like fading pads. Brake fade you can feel happen somewhat progressively. Fluid boiling is more like an on off switch. As the fluid heats up it will keep working more or less the same. And it won't boil mid braking point usually because of what happens when you pressurize a fluid. Boiling point increases as you pressurize a fluid. Same reason that water boils at a lower temp in the mountains because atmospheric pressure is lower. So under braking you pressurize the fluid, raise it's boil point, and if you have something weird going on with the brakes you can then push the fluid past the un-pressurized boiling temp while braking. Then when you release the pedal the pressure is reduced and the fluid, now over it's boiling temp, well boils and introduces bubbles. So next time you step on the pedal it's suddenly very soft, or basically nonexistent.

I can't say with 100% certainty that this is what happened to your car, because well I've never closely looked at the system or driven it. But the signs do point that way.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Any way to test how much water is in the fluid? It was a very wet day on Saturday? Is it possible that there was water infiltration into the system. If  you had a loose cap on the master/bad sealing, it was exposed to a lot of water. Maybe a significant quantity got into the system and caused the boil over?

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Never tried one, there are testers on amazon for $10.  Might be worth buying one and throwing in the tool box.

https://www.amazon.com/Brake-Fluid-Test … B005HVG4GQ

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

9 (edited by chaase 2018-08-15 07:23 AM)

TheEngineer wrote:

Never tried one, there are testers on amazon for $10.  Might be worth buying one and throwing in the tool box.

https://www.amazon.com/Brake-Fluid-Test … B005HVG4GQ

I may order one. $10 is worth a test. I would go this path since it can do DOT5

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EOD7INK/re … rd_w=IxwlA

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Sounds 100% like boiled fluid.

We boiled the fluid in our first Civic.  It was an 95 EX, so the same brake setup as the 95/96 Integra, minus the ABS.  Brakes work great until they don't.  Switched to Motul RBF600 and bleed it before every race.  Sometimes, depending on how much other stuff we are fixing, we will bleed for each race day as well.  Never had a bit of trouble with fluid since.

I was driving when we boiled fluid.  Turn 11 at CMP on the old short course (whatever corner number that would be).  Pedal didn't feel like it was there at all.  I can't recall if the pedal was coming up on each pump, or if it was stuck to the floor.  Drove straight off into the gravel/grass.  The pedal was back within a minute or two of stopping.  Speed was much lower and there was no traffic on the outside of 11 to avoid.  A lot less dramatic than your event.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

with non-race fluid gotta flush those calipers after race day. Looks like you guys did a pad swap and new pads stuck a lil(new pads no fluid swap) and that's why you cooked so fast sun morning.

Race fluid might not have cooked off with sticky pads and your non race fluid might have never cooked with non sticky pads...who knows overall just dealt a bad hand

The only real solution here is: always bleed after a session, always use race fluid(this might not have prevented the cookoff, depends how much heat the sticky pad was generating).

What did the pedal feel like before the crash, does the driver remember?

Showing my age here, but we used to use temperature crayons on the brake calipers to see how hot they got.  I just dug out my "Temprobe" Temperature test kit by Tempil from about 30 years ago. The kits used to be sold by places like Racer Parts Wholesale and Pegasus Racing.  A quick search of the usual racing supply suspects and I didn't find the crayons but I did find paints that are not only expensive but only available in very high temperature range.  It appears that these are more for rotor temps than for calipers:

https://alconkits.com/support/install-t … ture-paint

The old set I have consists of a series of crayons that melt at successively higher temps.  It has a series of 20 crayons that range from 125 deg F (52 deg C) to 800 deg F (427 deg C)melting points.  You scribble a few colors on the caliper and see which ones melted.  Temperature increments are 25 deg F between 125 and 500 deg F, then 50 degree increments up to 600 deg F and 100 degree increments between 600 and 800 deg F.

A few more minutes searching and I found that the company Tempil still sells temperature indication products and this kit appears to be about the same as my old one.  I was not able to find any pricing info:

http://www.tempil.com/temperature-indic … -test-kit/

It was a cheap, easy way to monitor the highest temp the caliper saw.  Many years ago we were having brake fade problems with a Series I  VW Scirocco.  With the crayons, we were able to rule out brake fluid boiling as the culprit.  It turned out to be firewall flex at the mounting area of the brake master cylinder was to blame.  This after spending a small fortune going to the highest temperature fluid we could buy.  At that time, high temp fluid was extremely hygroscopic and needed to be replaced every weekend. That got expensive.

Sorry for the long winded curmudgeonly post.

Caliper temp strips: http://www.hrpworld.com/alc-ths0080x285-alcon-te.html

Nice,  we've come a long way from crayons.

16 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-08-15 01:52 PM)

Also one quick google, and Crazy money for the crayons.

https://www.amazon.com/Tempstik-Test-Ki … B00Y95KCNM

Presumably the old ones were made entirely out of asbestos and uranium leavings.

You can buy individual sticks, but amazon and trying to find exact things = hate.

So you go here:
http://www.tempil.com/tempilstik/

and here:
https://www.amazon.com/Tempil/b/ref=bl_ … bin=Tempil

On the tempil site find the temp you want, look att he part number, then on the Amazon site search that part number at the top but stay in the Tempil search zone, don't search all of amazon.

Also it seems pricy, but 2oz of the paint will last a heck of a long time.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Wow, I had no idea the crayons would be so pricey.  If I spent a few more minutes googling, I could have spared everyone the long, droning post.

18 (edited by Guildenstern 2018-08-15 01:54 PM)

No I was able to find the individual ones and at $15 it's worth having a look, just not the whole big set.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

snuffy wrote:

Wow, I had no idea the crayons would be so pricey.  If I spent a few more minutes googling, I could have spared everyone the long, droning post.

Information is important, and your post has pertinent personal experience, which helps me understand its context. Let me personally thank you for your detail.

+1 for what sounds like boil

Been using this stuff for years in our A car, full system flush every event,  perhaps overkill but @ the price it is no crime <$15 a qt
Shop around, looks like amazon is more expensive then shelf price @ my local parts store
Pentosin super dot 4
https://www.autozone.com/brake-and-powe … 579851_0_0
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/pen … 10024311-P

Dry Boiling Point:    265°C/509°F
Color:    Yellow & Clear
Flash Point:    130°C/266°F
Melting Point:    >-50°C/>-58°F
pH Balanced:    8

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

L_M-N,

Thanks, very kind of you to say.

All,

Thanks for the suggestion and ideas. To answer a few of the questions I keep seeing:

No leaks, bad lines were found, good pedal now.

No fluid boil over at master.

We have not bleed the brakes since we got home, nor looked at anything else.

Not a full flush on friday, not sure if any fluid was added, if it was it was form an open container.

I have ordered a brake fluid tester (the one linked from Amazon) it is supposed to be delivered Sat.

I will continue to update our findings.

Fritz

Dahlinboysracing W/Frankenphil  '11 Crown Royal Vic SPWV 73 '12 Tom Sellecka Toyota NJMP 75 SPWV 43 NHMS 65, '13  Toylaren Monticello 120, Daytona 102, SPWV  83 HF! NJMP 41 NHMS 48th '14 Fireball  Integra NJMP 24th NJMP 18th NHMS 90th '15 NJMP 54th Daytona 33RD SPWV 4th Thompson  79th CMP 13th '16 NJMP 43 Thompson 21 CMP 32nd NHMS 24 '17 FB Integra NJMP 68 Cledus Snow Eldorado IGS 118, NCM 24

This is a very interesting thread.  Thank you to all the participants.  Caused me to do a little googling and found this article/paper discussing a method of monitoring the water content in brake fluid:

https://ve.ntut.edu.tw/ezfiles/0/academ … _29493.pdf

10x loser (Arse-Freeze '11 - Vodden '15) 1x WINNER! Arse-Freeze '14 in the Watermelon Volvo Wagon
Swedish Knievel Skycycle('90 Volvo 740 Wagon)

My take-away from all of this (because it did shake me to the core like many of us) is the following:

If, like us, you are sloppy about changing the brake fluid...stop.  It is an extra 15 minutes of bleeding for most of us.

Any, and my any, brake related weirdness means come in for us to check it out unless you have a driver so skilled they can slow the pace and try further diagnosis before just coming in (we have had that).

Newbie instructions should include a brake check before corners particularlly fast straight, tight corner combinations.  A side note on that is all newbies on our team have STRICT instructions if anything is wrong with the car, pull off adjacent the next corner station.  I doubt our recent new guys could have threaded that needle and I am not even sure I could have with 20+ races under my belt.

I always preach for new teams the mantra of: make it safe, make it reliable, make it brake, make it turn, then make it fast.  This holds true but keeping the first three up to date is so much more important that the last two.  We all are probably guilty of some version of letting those slide as we get "good" at Lemons.

Like I said, eye-openner for me and will change some of our habits.

Wait....Everyone isn't flushing their brake system before every race? o_O