Topic: MGB needs a new engine

We cracked the head on the MGB at Houston this weekend. We were so under powered (34HP) that we didn't feel safe on the track. Not a lot of breaker parts available for the MG1800 engine so we are thinking about a replacement engine.
Riktor suggested a Nissan 4 cylinder, i googled MGB and Nissan and its been done before so i guess we can make it fit too.
I can't seem to find any turbo engines at a legal price, any suggestions.
The rover V8 been used for MGBs but again the price is high.
The MGB has a Nissan gearbox already 280Z so we are leaning to Nissan

Best Regards
Paul
Union Jack Racing
05 Mini Cooper
73 MGB
Looking for a lotus!!

Re: MGB needs a new engine

union jack racing wrote:

The MGB has a Nissan gearbox already 280Z so we are leaning to Nissan

This. Why put something reliable in when you can go with Z car. The combination should be really fast for the 3 or 4 laps before it breaks. Also - think trucks. Like maybe a 70s mazda B1800 or something. That should get you a reliable 50hp and still be pretty craptastic.

Isuzu impulse turbo engine! They are worthless at the junk yards and if you keep the valves adjusted they do run good

Pendejo

Isn't the Rover V8 just a Buick/Pontiac/Olds 215? I would think those wouldn't be too difficult to come by.

Also, don't they make a kit to swap in a GM V-6 (either the 2.8 or the 3.4?)

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Were you the team running the MG with the wings and the MGC hood pictured here?  If it's just a stock MGB engine (or something of similar dimensions), can you sell the hood for big bucks and put the money into the engine?  Or is something odd about the hood and/or engine compartment?

The stock MGB heads are notorious for cracking, though.  My car's third (!) cast-iron head cracked on the way down to last year's concours (making for a pleasant Seattle-Salinas-Seattle trip, I assure you).  That combusion chamber was really, really unhappy by the time I got back, so I coughed up the dough for an aluminum head.  So far, so good.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

You do understand that any semi-modern OHC 4-banger will make at least twice the power of the BMC B engine, right? Sell the existing engine/transmission and drop in a 2300/5-speed out of a $100 wrecked Ranger pickup. Problem solved.

If you ar thinking Nissan and the trans bolt pattern works then I would suggest a KA24... if you want something lighter then go with an SR20. Both can be found for under $200 complete. And the aftermarket for replacement parts is phenomenal. Not to mention replacement parts for the SR20...

Model Years Produced
180SX 1991-1992, 1994-1997
200SX SE-R 1995-1998
Infiniti G20 1991-2002
NX2000 1991-1993
Primera 1990-2002
Pulsar 1991-2000
Sentra 1991-1994, 1998-2001
Silvia 1991-1993 1995-1996, 1998-2002

Those are mostly american models. I will talk with the importer I used to deal with. He may be able to get me a batch of five SR20's for $1000 shipped. That's $200 a piece with plenty of spares for you. And they are JDM so they are (for the most part) well maintained.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Since you said the gearbox will bolt to a 280Z block, I'd lean towards a Nissan L16 or L20.  An I4 would be easier to make live and it wouldn't weigh nearly as much as the L6.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Since you said the gearbox will bolt to a 280Z block, I'd lean towards a Nissan L16 or L20.  An I4 would be easier to make live and it wouldn't weigh nearly as much as the L6.

I think you're just partial to your gasket eating beast...

If you're gonna go big get a VK56DE block and make it carburated... Do a first for Lemons... do a first for anything. Never mind the fact that they eat their own camshafts... They have four... whos to say losing one would be a bad thing.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Riktor wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

I think you're just partial to your gasket eating beast...

If you're gonna go big get a VK56DE block and make it carburated... Do a first for Lemons... do a first for anything. Never mind the fact that they eat their own camshafts... They have four... whos to say losing one would be a bad thing.

Hey now, HE's the one that said he wanted a Nissan engine.  I was actually steering him away from the gasket eating L6.  smile

I do like the VK56DE idea though.  Can you say 80/20 weight bias?

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Riktor wrote:

If you ar thinking Nissan and the trans bolt pattern works then I would suggest a KA24... if you want something lighter then go with an SR20. Both can be found for under $200 complete. And the aftermarket for replacement parts is phenomenal. Not to mention replacement parts for the SR20...

I think you hit the nail on the head here. I am currently building an MGB (Chrome Bumper) and plan on a 302 but a guy recently dumped a KA in one relatively easy. There are some posts on MGExperience about it. Here are a few links.. Give him a shout, most of those guys are very helpful. There are a ton of those engines around and parts are cheap with a ton of support online. The Chevy V6 as mentioned earlier is very common but then again a kit will blow out your budget so booty fab is the only way. There has been tons of engines crammed in these cars so there is probably documentation somewhere if you need it for almost any conversion.

http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?40,1362407
http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?40,1362410

Riktor wrote:

I will talk with the importer I used to deal with. He may be able to get me a batch of five SR20's for $1000 shipped. That's $200 a piece with plenty of spares for you. And they are JDM so they are (for the most part) well maintained.

I assume these are not the SR20DET variety for $200..... There are a couple SR20DET swaps that have been done on an MGB and I haven't picked up a 302 yet.... Let me know if your buddy can get them cheap. Thanks

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Hey now, HE's the one that said he wanted a Nissan engine.  I was actually steering him away from the gasket eating L6.  smile

I do like the VK56DE idea though.  Can you say 80/20 weight bias?

True... I read it wrong. Besides the VK is an all aluminum engine... I think it's dry weight is comparable to your iron block L6.

huf_arted wrote:
Riktor wrote:

I think you hit the nail on the head here. I am currently building an MGB (Chrome Bumper) and plan on a 302 but a guy recently dumped a KA in one relatively easy. There are some posts on MGExperience about it. Here are a few links.. Give him a shout, most of those guys are very helpful. There are a ton of those engines around and parts are cheap with a ton of support online. The Chevy V6 as mentioned earlier is very common but then again a kit will blow out your budget so booty fab is the only way. There has been tons of engines crammed in these cars so there is probably documentation somewhere if you need it for almost any conversion.

http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?40,1362407
http://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?40,1362410

Riktor wrote:

I will talk with the importer I used to deal with. He may be able to get me a batch of five SR20's for $1000 shipped. That's $200 a piece with plenty of spares for you. And they are JDM so they are (for the most part) well maintained.

I assume these are not the SR20DET variety for $200..... There are a couple SR20DET swaps that have been done on an MGB and I haven't picked up a 302 yet.... Let me know if your buddy can get them cheap. Thanks

KA's are dead cheap. And yes I was referring to the SR20DE... The SR20DET will run you a bit more. But with the lower compression ratio yuo may be able to find one without the turbo manifolds and just source some replacements from a junkyard. You'll be below the 200 stock HP but you'll be more reliable.

Sons of STIG

I'm thinking the cracked head may have something to do with your 34 horsepower.

The BOP 215 motors and Rover 3.5/3.9 variants are a popular swap for quite a few vehicles, which makes them hard to come by for cheap. Most of the Rover blocks that become available out here have "head gasket issues" which are a can of worms for these motors.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Yes, the MGB with wings, couldn't find a suitable spitfire!
The hoods glass fibre.

Considering its pretty much the same work to put any engine in, i am leaning towards putting something with a little hp in it.
Checked my salvage list and don't see any isuzu turbo gas engines, see some turbo diesels and 2.3/ 2.4 L 4's non turbo
I would like to go with the lightest for the best power so turbo seems the way to go.
Riktor let me know about those engines, i'll take one if you can arrange it.
How much reliability difference will there be between normally aspirated and turbo?

Regards
Paul
Union Jack Racing
73 MGB
05 Mini cooper

union jack racing wrote:

The hoods glass fibre.

Considering its pretty much the same work to put any engine in, i am leaning towards putting something with a little hp in it.
Checked my salvage list and don't see any isuzu turbo gas engines, see some turbo diesels and 2.3/ 2.4 L 4's non turbo
I would like to go with the lightest for the best power so turbo seems the way to go.
How much reliability difference will there be between normally aspirated and turbo?

Regards
Paul
Union Jack Racing
73 MGB
05 Mini cooper

Hold up, you said Diesel in there somewhere... go for IOE

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:
union jack racing wrote:

The hoods glass fibre.

Regards
Paul
Union Jack Racing
73 MGB
05 Mini cooper

Hold up, you said Diesel in there somewhere... go for IOE

I looked everywhere for a Diesel around here but unfortunately the south doesn't see many of them. A Diesel MGB would be SWEET!!!

no diesel in this MGB,  its dangerous out there when you are doing 50 and everyone else is doing 105mph
regards
Paul

union jack racing wrote:

I may be in for one as well. Do you know how much for engine/trans/accessories/wiring/ECU? Thanks

How about using a 280z engine.  I just happen to have a 280z engine.  Perhaps my engine should meet your car.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

union jack racing wrote:

no diesel in this MGB,  its dangerous out there when you are doing 50 and everyone else is doing 105mph
regards
Paul

So what you're saying is that powerful engines should be considered a safety item?

you might also conider a ford 3.0/3.8/4.0. thee are large bunches of 'em laying about. look around for a wrecked ranger or mustang with the five speed.

22 (edited by Riktor 2010-02-25 08:11 AM)

union jack racing wrote:

I wasn't able to get a hold of him yesterday. Will try again today but he may be out of country.

The difference between the DE and DET as far as reliability goes isn't much... when stock. But usually the turbo ones get tweeked and reliability could suffer. I almost guarentee the long block of a DE will make it through atleast one Lemons race as is. Hell it will probably make it through more than that but I don't want to make false promises.

Another engine to check into a 4G63... Nothing says reliability like a 2.0L that can take 700 horsepowers without dying.

Sons of STIG

I have a Toyota 4AGE in one of my MGs

http://www.fordmustang.us/gallery/d/35888-2/7.jpg

Infinity Q45 #47 @ Gator-a-Rama 09 & #147 @ Nelson Ledges 09
Datsun 510 #102 @ High Plains Raceway 10 & #102 @ Mid-America Motorplex 10
Datsun 280Z #55 @ Autobahn 10

Tullamore wrote:

I have a Toyota 4AGE in one of my MGs

http://www.fordmustang.us/gallery/d/35888-2/7.jpg

See... good idea huh?

Sons of STIG

I consulted my Nissan guy about the L-series MG interchangability. 

Seems like they do bolt up.

The early 200SXs (rear drive) have a Z-series motor which also uses a transmission that bolts to an L-series motor.

One biggest weak link with the L-series motors has been the distributor.    A bit of incorrect timing on our motors can easily result in detonation leading to a leaky head gasket.

I believe there is also some interchangability with rotary motors.

The easiest solution is to buy a complete rear driver car and install the engine and transmission.  Possibly the rear end too.

If you put a 150-200hp motor in the MG you are putting way more stress on the rear end.  You will also need more rubber and your brakes will probably be much more over worked due to increased speed.

If you want to go with a Nissan L20, look for old pick-ups.  There were a few 620 trucks for sale as a 3 truck lot for like $500 on Craigslist recently.

The 6 cylinders out of the Z are more common but you'd probably have to stretch the front end just to fit one.

The 2.3 liter motors Judge Phil mentioned in many Fords and probably Mazdas too are good motors.  Cheap Ford Rangers are pretty common in the Houston area and many are 4 cylinders.  Buy a whole car and do a drivetrain swap.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z