Re: MGB needs a new engine

I don't see the area you are in, but a friend of mine is starting to pull out his L18 in favor of a rotary. He would probably let it go cheap, and is in Petaluma CA.

Keeping it real since last Tuesday!

Twisted Minis wrote:

I don't see the area you are in, but a friend of mine is starting to pull out his L18 in favor of a rotary. He would probably let it go cheap, and is in Petaluma CA.

Houston...

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Tullamore  what gearbox did you use with that $AGE

regards
Paul

I got a nearly complete 289, should just need bearings and thrown together.  Then a cheap C4 someone has.  This SCREAMS awesome idea!

More Horsepower  = faster straight line,
less weight =  faster on the track
lighter weight and more HP =  the Holy Grail of Road Racing.

Thats why i like the sound of an Aluminum head and a turbo charger, over displacement

regards
Paul

If I am not mistaken a 302 with aluminum heads weighs if not right at or under the weight of the heavy 1800 that was in there. If you don't mind doing a little cutting on some sheetmetal, the 302 will slide down in there low enough and far back enough to get a great weight distribution. There are tons of info on the MGB forums about the actual weight of the engines. Cheers

huf_arted wrote:

If I am not mistaken a 302 with aluminum heads weighs if not right at or under the weight of the heavy 1800 that was in there. If you don't mind doing a little cutting on some sheetmetal, the 302 will slide down in there low enough and far back enough to get a great weight distribution. There are tons of info on the MGB forums about the actual weight of the engines. Cheers

Not sure what the 1800 weights but these numbers might interest you:

302 Longblock - 485 lbs
4.6L Longblock - 330 lbs
SR20DE Complete - 363 lbs

I can't find the number for a KA24 but since it's a beefy truck motor with an iron block I would expect right around 400 complete.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

union jack racing wrote:

Tullamore  what gearbox did you use with that $AGE

Its a Toyota Corolla GTS 5 speed transmission with short shift kit turned backwards like in an Shelby Cobra.

Infinity Q45 #47 @ Gator-a-Rama 09 & #147 @ Nelson Ledges 09
Datsun 510 #102 @ High Plains Raceway 10 & #102 @ Mid-America Motorplex 10
Datsun 280Z #55 @ Autobahn 10

Here is a good resource for weight but this also doesn't take into account the transmission. I am still looking for the figure for the MG. http://www.35pickup.com/mulligan/weight.txt

Rather than adding power, wouldn't you be better off improving that tippy-ass suspension? The Frogmasters' MGB-GT seems to handle pretty well.

MurileeMartin wrote:

Rather than adding power, wouldn't you be better off improving that tippy-ass suspension? The Frogmasters' MGB-GT seems to handle pretty well.

Extra shim in the shock valves = good place to start.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Troy nailed it. buy a car with RWD & minimal electronics. swap it all. A truck would be great. essentially drop the MG body on a nissan hardbody 2wd chassis. that would rule!

Suspension didn't seem too bad, look at the flip video i was doing ok in the turns.

regards
Paul

for reliability I really like the KA24DE or the Ford 2.3L I4 ideas.

Other possibilities are 2.8L GM V6 from late 80s Camaros(they're not likable anyways but common so should be cheap)

if you can get a wrecked but running(not moving) early 90s CVPI then 4.6L V8 would make that MGB a BEAST (250hp/290tq)

or if you wanted something more interesting, a porsche 944 engine could be fun, maybe Wankel 12a from a 79-84 RX7?

There's always the M-B M103 engine. L6 w/ 180hp. Shouldn't be hard to get from a merc, although generally by the time they hit the pull-n-pay channels the transmissions attached to them have eaten themselves.

Modular Ford... or KA24DE... I wanna say their dry weight is close to the same.

Sons of STIG

So after all the advice we went with a 3.4L chevy V6.
why ? because in the best Lemons tradition

1) It was damm cheap, Motor and transmission 230$. Owner says all it needs is a new fuel pump!!! ???

2) The MGB experience forum says the swap is so simple a caveman could do it in a day.

We've been at it 3 days and all we have managed to do is hit the body work with our clubs ( 4lb hammer) to make a little more space.

Bye bye 34 hp hello 140 hp

regards
Paul

If you put a 150-200hp motor in the MG you are putting way more stress on the rear end.  You will also need more rubber and your brakes will probably be much more over worked due to increased speed.

Unless it's a 150-200hp rotary, in which case you have no torque and all's cool. As it's been said before, KA24s are dirt cheap, even the twin-cams (look at the Altimas in your local Pull-A-Part). They're bigger than the SR20s, although not as 'performance' oriented. There's a guy locally who turbo'd one and autocrosses it regularly, so there's room for improvement with a proper Lemons-style junkyard huffer upgrade.

L16/L18/L20B has the same bolt pattern as the L24, L26, and l28 engines. The throughout bearing carrier matches the transmission, bearing matches the clutch (get a roadster clutch -stronger). so if you have the 280 transmission its a more simple bolt together (and less cost). An L16 should get you about 95hp stock, L18-100, L20b maybe 105-110. Check Craigslist for people dumping an L16 (in favor of a SR20). The 4 cylinder engines are more reliable than the 6 cylinder versions, and can rev higher. Race L16s (2 hour run time) rev to 10-12K. With porting work, a killer cam shaft, high compression and good carbs, you should be able to get 200 hp from a L20b, but all that is big$$$. you can reuse your SU carbs on the L16-18-20B engine, but you'll need a different manifold.

SR20 has more Hp to start with but I doubt you'll find one, with ECU and all the parts for less than $500-1500. You need the rear wheel version, not the FWD version. They are all ending up in 510s.

KA24, you can find in the JY out of 90's Nissan pickups so it might be possible to get engine and trans and ECU/harness for $400. Good strong Bottom end and a descent head. A turbo-ed one in a 510 made ~4-500 hp at redline, but who knows how long that would last. 200-250 hp is possible with cams and throttle body Fuel Injection and a good after market computer.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Riktor wrote:
huf_arted wrote:

Not sure what the 1800 weights but these numbers might interest you:

302 Longblock - 485 lbs
4.6L Longblock - 330 lbs
SR20DE Complete - 363 lbs

I can't find the number for a KA24 but since it's a beefy truck motor with an iron block I would expect right around 400 complete.

Copied from some other forum all Nissan engines except for the last two:
Without transmission (figure +100-150lbs)
A12 87 kg 192 lbs
A14 93 kg 205 lbs
L18 118 kg 260 lbs
CA18ET 118 kg 260 lbs
QR25DE 121 kg 267 lbs
CA18DET 128 kg 282 lbs
SR20DE 139 kg 306 lbs
SR20DET 149 kg 328 lbs
FJ20ET 166 kg 366 lbs (205 hp)
KA24DE 167 kg 368 lbs (est)

With Transmission:
SR20DET 490 lbs
RB25DET 667 lbs (280 hp)
VG30DET 589 lbs
Ford Small Block V-8 487 lbs
Chevy Small Block V-8 575 lbs

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Because the only weak point with Union Jack Racing is the lack of horsepower, right?

Troy wrote:

If you put a 150-200hp motor in the MG you are putting way more stress on the rear end.  You will also need more rubber and your brakes will probably be much more over worked due to increased speed.

Meh, hardcore MGB racers regularly get 150-200 from their motors using the stock rear ends, and 300hp+ MGBV8 racers use it too. It's not a weak unit, nor are the brakes. One of the V8 Volvo's previous drivers was amazed at how just how good the brakes in our MGB are.

And zero fade, ever.

If only we could keep the car rolling on 4 wheels around the track long enough to prove it...

IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Geeze you guys are predictable....come on whats better than a big block GERMAN V8....all 540lbs of it......but don't worry that 540lbs beast throws down an impressive 220hp!! 

Personally I think an MG with a Shaguar V12 would be TOO COOL....at least it would still be British....imagine a 650+lb V12 stuffed into that thing....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

CBR 1000 engine weighs 155 ready to run and that includes the transmission.  Driveshaft adapter: $75. 

I'm just sayin'...

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

GnomeFabTech wrote:

CBR 1000 engine weighs 155 ready to run and that includes the transmission.  Driveshaft adapter: $75. 

I'm just sayin'...

You have my undivided attention.....

http://www.britishv8.org/Other/AaronCouper.htm
If an XK-powered Spridget is possible, then the MGB's cavernous engine bay should be able to swallow a Jag V12, right?