Topic: CMP - Hurricane

Anybody know what happens when/if Florence re-strengthens into a major hurricane and hits CMP during race weekend?

Current map puts it as a major hurricane pretty damn close to CMP Thursday afternoon: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.s … e#contents

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)

Re: CMP - Hurricane

My concern in addition to the hurricane potential smacking SC is also the state declaring a state of emergency, yes to get funding in place for a potential issue but I'm curious as it nears when do they start travel bans?

Justin
Dixie Wrecked Racing
90 BMW 325i / Ford 302 and other janky crap

GoFastEnthusiast wrote:

Anybody know what happens when/if Florence re-strengthens into a major hurricane and hits CMP during race weekend?

Current map puts it as a major hurricane pretty damn close to CMP Thursday afternoon: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.s … e#contents

Well, you get wet. REALLY WET. Here's Judge Phil Phleeing hurricane Sandy after the 2012 New Hampshire Halloween Hooptiefest.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/ … a-sorento/

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

No offense but Sandy was a Cat 1 when it got to the NE, if Florence hits the Carolinas as a cat 3 or 4 as the early indications are showing that's a lot of destruction and more than a little rain and wind.

Justin
Dixie Wrecked Racing
90 BMW 325i / Ford 302 and other janky crap

State of emergency has just been declared.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SCEMD/status … 7713685505

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

I think right now is too early to call anything - but i hope there is some word by Tuesday.  because current  Navy forecasts are showing winds at 20+kts and significant rain during that time (not that we stop for rain alone).  But there is a point where weather is not safe for people to be outside.

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/cgi-bin/wxmap_loop.cgi?&area=nvg_atlantic&prod=sfc10m&dtg=2018090906&set=All

/\ Not a URL Link because the forums think i'm too new /\

7 (edited by fleming95 2018-09-09 09:20 AM)

GoFastEnthusiast wrote:

Sounds like 'Flo' is going to be a "Progressive' problem. . . sounds like a last-minute (and mildly tasteless).theme opportunity?

@ smiller:

I hope we hear something / know better the trajectory of the BFH (Big Florence Hurricane) by Tuesday. That's kindof when I need to "call it" for the team in terms of travel plans. Of course the Lemons traveling circus are all flying in, so their plans are incumbent upon what the airlines might do, too

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

Anyone know how they handle a cancellation assuming cant schedule?  Thinking of fees and logistics.

It's OK.  It doesn't snow in Atlanta that early.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Could the race be postponed vs. canceled?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Hitting subscribe. I'm flying in, and want the deets from the locals.

That guy

When the race at ECR was cancelled due to snow a few years back, I think Lemons gave all the teams a choice of a refund or a free entry to another race. I would think rescheduling is not likely, as most tracks have all their weekends booked well in advance.

Not looking for an easy way out. I think everybody here would rather race. But as forecast right now, the storm is coming right through a bunch of team's backyards in NC and SC.
Maybe the Lemons HQ can offer a free pass on the "you don't show up - not our fault, you lose your fees" rule to affected teams.
With the storm possibly plowing right through here, it would be quite hard to justify traveling or leaving families, businesses, jobs behind when everything is going down the toilette. After all those things are paying for all of this. Don't "force" people to travel in the worst storm in over hundred years (don't quote me but I heard something like this on the radio), because they would otherwise lose all the money they paid up. Bank the money for free entry in the next race.
Just my two cents. Sorry for the rambling, I'm just all bummed out about this storm trying to ruin my favorite weekend of the year sad

nameiner wrote:

With the storm possibly plowing right through here, it would be quite hard to justify traveling or leaving families, businesses, jobs behind when everything is going down the toilette. After all those things are paying for all of this. Don't "force" people to travel in the worst storm in over hundred years (don't quote me but I heard something like this on the radio), because they would otherwise lose all the money they paid up. Bank the money for free entry in the next race.

While I certainly agree with you, I can understand the financial impact to the organizers for refund fees. Our team is from Wilmington, so we are preparing to be in the center of the storm track; furthermore we all work for the electric utility so we have professional obligations before, during, and after the storm. As it stands, our team's plan is to come in two (or three) groups to make our best attempt to have everyone get seat time this weekend. I would imagine the organizers will be open to signing drivers in and inspecting gear (and probably cars) on Saturday if the storm causes travel delays.

Giubo Grabbers #190 - 91 Mercedes 190E
2016 CMP Fall South "Heroic Fix" Winner

16 (edited by nameiner 2018-09-10 12:37 PM)

Can't fault HQ for anything if they don't, The rules are the rules. I accept that. Would be a nice touch though.
Now back to checking the forecast more often than necessary.

I'm about to vomit I'm so stressed. I was stressed enough to get the car done. I've spent the last two weeks working long into the night to get it done. Now this s**t. My buddy with the RV may not go now so I'm scrambling to find other accommodation options. 5pm advisory has it going a little more north which is good.

Four Stripes, Corolla Extra Motorsports
'83 Toyota Corolla #5
Winner, Class C, Yokohama Good Try, Road Atlanta 2018

18 (edited by VKZ24 2018-09-10 02:41 PM)

nameiner wrote:

Can't fault HQ for anything if they don't, The rules are the rules. I accept that. Would be a nice touch though.
Now back to checking the forecast more often than necessary.

Saying the rules are the rules (not you, HQ) would be essentially a slap in the face for people facing a natural disaster. Anyone who says that IMO is just like those who say price gouging for essentials is just capitalism at work.  Fortunately that shit is illegal in NC and the Attorney General can and has prosecuted people for it.

It would suck for us to lose our entry fee, but it won't break us.  Our families are more important and that is what my focus is on right now.

Everyone please be safe. There will be another race, another day.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

As a silver lining, think of all the future flood damaged $500 dollar my a$$ cars which BFH could generate for you locals smile

Seriously though, I hope all of you keep safe.

Myopic Motorsport's #888 Ceci n'est pas une Citron Thunderbird ("This is not a lemon" but a 1995 tbird w/ 93 V8 swap + shopping cart rear wing + engine mounted frito maker)
2017 Sears Pointless Organizer’s Choice
Frito Making Tbird from 2018 Sears Pointless Engine Heat BBQ - http://goo.gl/csaet4

SpaceFrank wrote:

When the race at ECR was cancelled due to snow a few years back, I think Lemons gave all the teams a choice of a refund or a free entry to another race.

As I recall that's what happened when the first and so far only All Weathers/No Whiners GP at Portland International Raceway was cancelled in 2012.

SpaceFrank wrote:

I would think rescheduling is not likely, as most tracks have all their weekends booked well in advance.

I agree.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/10/us/h … rence.html

https://scemd.org/news/gov-henry-mcmast … 1-at-noon/

kerosenecowboy wrote:

I'm about to vomit I'm so stressed. I was stressed enough to get the car done. I've spent the last two weeks working long into the night to get it done. Now this s**t. My buddy with the RV may not go now so I'm scrambling to find other accommodation options. 5pm advisory has it going a little more north which is good.

I'm with you, buddy.  I was looking back at my camera pictures and a month ago our car was in 500 pieces.  A week ago the transmission grenaded- and I had to go hunting for and plop in a new one.  I've been working on the car AFTER putting two kids to bed every night, and all weekend every weekend for at least the last month.  My tow pig is broken so we've had to rent a tow vehicle- which I'm supposed to pick up tomorrow.  Assuming we're still going- which, honestly, we likely aren't.  We're all worried about our homes and families with this storm coming, too. 

I'm just kindof over it at this point.  Barring Florence miraculously blowing off into a piff of nothingness, there is GOING TO BE a BFH hitting the Carolinas this weekend, and we're not going to get caught in it.  Even if they decide to go hell bent for leather and hold this race anyway, damn the torpedoes, bash on regardless, and whatnot, I'd rather eat the entry fee than sit in a soggy field for 2 days waiting for fan trucks to clear the track well enough to get a few laps in between downpours.  Remember how drenched the track got just from a 30 minute downpour in Spring of '17?  We lost hours of track time just for that.  If current weather predictions hold, this is going to be an exercise in futility, no matter how optimistic the latest communique from Lemons HQ might seem.

Stay safe, everyone.

I'm driving up from Florida to Charlotte tomorrow afternoon for work. Car will be in tow so I can just head down to CMP on Thursday. I heard the shelves are already bare up there so we just hit the store for all our essentials. Most importantly, the beer and booze. I don't know about SC, but down here in FL when a state of emergency is declared, some counties ban the sale of alcohol.

We got a ton of gas cans loaded up in the car that we will fill, if it falls off the trailer it will be one hell of a fire ball. I need to make sure i can get out of there if i have to. Gas is usually in short supply. My buddy tells me that some highways are turning a 4 lanes into one direction starting and noon tomorrow for evacuation. This will be interesting. Check your routes before you go so you don't get caught up in that shit trying to go against the flow.

My wife said I'm crazy. She's right. Instead of running away from a hurricane I'm running into it. To race a heap of crap, in the rain, in the wind, in the flooding. All in the name of sport. Because I want that bag of nickels, and I wanna drink beer, and tell lies, and go as fast as I can without killing myself, and I'm obviously a glutton for punishment. Oh, and I like it WET? wink

For all y'all in the coastal areas,  be safe, I would stay and protect my family and property over going to race. Hell my wife wouldn't let me leave home to go race if a hurricane was gonna hit my house. Who else is gonna pull start that generator?

Like said earlier, if the race actually does go on it will probably be complete misery. But hey, I've worked too long and hard to give up now.

Four Stripes, Corolla Extra Motorsports
'83 Toyota Corolla #5
Winner, Class C, Yokohama Good Try, Road Atlanta 2018

kerosenecowboy wrote:

You’re not alone. We’ve been working weekends and as many week night hours as we can get in after kids go to bed to prepare for the race. Looking at the most recent path predictions, even if it doesn’t hit the race track, it will be bearing down right on top up us and there is no way I can leave my family behind in that situation. Not to mention towing to the track through a hurricane, I’ll pass on that.

Captain, For Parts Only (Team FPO)
#111 VW Golf - Currently Orange with tiger stripes (Calvin and Hobbes theme)