Topic: Lap Timer for your iPhone, courtesy of The B-Team

Hey Lemons racers!

We put together this little lap timing app for iPhone and iPod Touch. It's tailored to the Lemons format, and can simplify your paperwork a lot. We thought we'd throw it up for free, in case anyone else wants it.

It tracks all your drivers, their lap times, flags, penalties, etc. It also has the ability to upload your data to a web server in real time, so you can see the data in your pit area on a laptop or cell phone.

The server upload feature requires you to have your own web server and know how to set it up, but full instructions are at the link below.

http://www.quinndunki.com/OGOL/BTimer

If you get your server set up, you can get data like this in your pit during the race:

http://www.quinndunki.com/screenshots/BTeamRaceData.jpg

Enjoy!

Re: Lap Timer for your iPhone, courtesy of The B-Team

That's hella cool. Almost cool enough to make me wish I had an iphone. Almost. But iphones are still uberghey.

But thanks for sharing, you guys rock.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

+1 for the Jesus Phone...

Ronman just became our offical Timer...

...and I was gonna buy one of those dual stopwatch clipboards cause they look cool... don't know how to use it... but it looks hella cool...

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Are you going to port it to Android?

I wish they had that for droid phone sad

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

B team
Clearly this is WAY above my level of expertise....but I am VERY interested in this app & how to setup a laptop in the pits to use it....please email me with more details

icemang17@aol.com

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

MurileeMartin wrote:

No plans to do that at the moment, I'm afraid. I'm the author of it, and I don't do any Android development.

Most of the work was on the back-end though, so if someone wants to write an Android front-end, they're welcome to my SQL and PHP server code. In fact, it's all posted on the website (see first link in my original post)

icemang17 wrote:

B team
Clearly this is WAY above my level of expertise....but I am VERY interested in this app & how to setup a laptop in the pits to use it....please email me with more details

icemang17@aol.com

I would recommend reading through this section of the website:
http://www.quinndunki.com/OGOL/BTimer_Setup.html

Everyone's server is a little different, and I can't offer tech support for this (this system is free, after all smile ), but if you take the information above to your web administrator, ISP provider, or hosting service, they should be able to set you up.

Bonedriver wrote:

+1 for the Jesus Phone...

Ronman just became our offical Timer...

I don't think so, Tim.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Rock on buddy.  Every nerd on my team just spilled their mountain dew on the keyboard.

+1 for Lemons geeks

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

craznoe wrote:

Rock on buddy.  Every nerd on my team just spilled their mountain dew on the keyboard.

+1 for Lemons geeks

I sure hope that's Mountain Dew....

craznoe wrote:

+1 for Lemons geeks

I can think of at least a dozen California Lemons teams made up almost entirely of software engineers. Hmmm... we should come up with a special "find the memory leak" penalty for them- I have access to some truly terrible C++ code, with all the comments in Turkish. Yes, Turkish. No, wait, even better: Objective C, with no comments whatsoever, thanks to a geek who felt that commenting code makes you weak!

MurileeMartin wrote:
craznoe wrote:

+1 for Lemons geeks

I can think of at least a dozen California Lemons teams made up almost entirely of software engineers. Hmmm... we should come up with a special "find the memory leak" penalty for them- I have access to some truly terrible C++ code, with all the comments in Turkish. Yes, Turkish. No, wait, even better: Objective C, with no comments whatsoever, thanks to a geek who felt that commenting code makes you weak!

I feel that pain. I have a stack of code commented thinly in Japanese, but haven't found a text editor that will render it properly, so it's gibberish even I could read Japanese which I can't. </exhale>

Our team is a nerd soup- we have a duo of IT geeks, an antenna dish dork, a pair of pixel pushers, and a real rocket scientist.

BTeam_Blondie wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

No plans to do that at the moment, I'm afraid. I'm the author of it, and I don't do any Android development.

For Android, see Trackmaster: http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome
It can post to twitter.

I'd assume it would be easy for the developer to get it to post the data elsewhere, and I know people who claim that he's very responsive.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

BTeam_Blondie wrote:
craznoe wrote:

+1 for Lemons geeks

I sure hope that's Mountain Dew....

Me too.... :shudder:

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Oh yeah, pad these schmos' IRA.

M5s don't grow on trees

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

This is really cool. Any plans to sync it with the iPhone's internal GPS so that it would automatically keep the times if the phone is mounted in the car?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

This is really cool. Any plans to sync it with the iPhone's internal GPS so that it would automatically keep the times if the phone is mounted in the car?

I'm sure it's possible but the way I drive my iPhone will have a much longer life outside the Lemons car!

The Pussy Wagën rides again,
one of Kill Phils crazy 88's
The B-Team

MurileeMartin wrote:

WTF?! I figured you'd be a iPhone guy... hrmmm....

laz wrote:
BTeam_Blondie wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:

For Android, see Trackmaster: http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome
It can post to twitter.

I'd assume it would be easy for the developer to get it to post the data elsewhere, and I know people who claim that he's very responsive.

Bought it... trying it out next event.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Mulry wrote:

That might be possible, but at first glance I don't think that would work very well. While working on another GPS-related application for the iPhone, I learned that the GPS in it is very low power, low frequency, and low-precision. I have doubts it's sufficient for really accurate lap timings. Some sort of dock-connection to an AIM-style receiver would be feasible though.

Judge Jonny wrote:

Oh yeah, pad these schmos' IRA.

M5s don't grow on trees

But! I was going to buy that ivory backscratcher... Grrr...

BTeam_Blondie wrote:
Mulry wrote:

That might be possible, but at first glance I don't think that would work very well. While working on another GPS-related application for the iPhone, I learned that the GPS in it is very low power, low frequency, and low-precision. I have doubts it's sufficient for really accurate lap timings. Some sort of dock-connection to an AIM-style receiver would be feasible though.

What about using BTimer with one of these to get better GPS data? It's a GPS receiver that outputs the data via WiFi and it's only $99 bucks.

http://www.g-fi.com/

You could use a Sprint Overdrive 3g/4g wifi hotspot fo the same thing, but those are overkill (and overpriced) for this application.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
BTeam_Blondie wrote:
Mulry wrote:

What about using BTimer with one of these to get better GPS data? It's a GPS receiver that outputs the data via WiFi and it's only $99 bucks.

http://www.g-fi.com/

You could use a Sprint Overdrive 3g/4g wifi hotspot fo the same thing, but those are overkill (and overpriced) for this application.

That's a cool toy! Maybe version 2.0. For now, we just wanted to ease the paperwork for our poor (hot Asian) radio operator.

24 (edited by dan200 2010-02-25 11:43 AM)

I gotta send a huge thank you to the "B Team".  My team "The UNDERGROUND" has soo much internal rivalry about who is the fastest pilot of our car it is ridiculous.  The smack talk amongst ourselves is insane.  Not until you designed this software has there been a way for us to get to the bottom of this and find out who our fastest guy actually is.

Thank you for helping us get some closure.  If ya ever need anything please stop by our pit.

Captain of The UNDERGROUND and Lemons SPAMBASSADOR

BTeam_Blondie wrote:

That's a cool toy! Maybe version 2.0. For now, we just wanted to ease the paperwork for our poor (hot Asian) radio operator.

Totally! We can't wait to use v1 at Infineon next week. Cheers and thanks for the cool tool!