Topic: Firewall Hole Plugs

Hey guys,
Are these plugs safe for firewall use?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PP … &psc=1

If not, what should we be using. Got 4 holes 1 1/2" - 2" diameter from pulling stuff out.

Thanks!

Re: Firewall Hole Plugs

Do you trust them to keep an engine/fuel fire out of the driver's area?  I wouldn't. 

I would get a pop rivet gun and appropriately-sized rivets (both available at any Homey Depot or Blowes) and cut/rivet aluminum patches over the holes.

Perennial Losers
Mazda 787b aka '75 914 - Org Choice @ The Ridge, 2015; IGS @ TH, 2018
BMW M1 Procar aka '80 RX-7 (retired) - Zero awards sad

"safe" and acceptable to tech are two different things. One is a personal assessment of risk, the other is an insurance underwriters acceptance of risk.

You're asking the wrong audience for both questions.

That guy

I wouldn't bother with those plastic plugs unless I planned on also using metal tape over them.

Old license plates work well for covering holes. Self-tapping screws if they're away from likely contact, pop-rivets if people might scrape on them.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

The metal plugs to fill in un-used hole in metal electrical panels and boxes work well.  Metal, cheap, and are available in lots of sizes. Fold the fingers flat so they can't pop off.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/381156609 … -l1000.jpg

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Killer, thanks guys. Great suggestions. The metal electrical box knock out plugs look like the jam. Home Depot has 'em in every size 1/2" up to 2". Perfect.

therealstevethedog wrote:

Killer, thanks guys. Great suggestions. The metal electrical box knock out plugs look like the jam. Home Depot has 'em in every size 1/2" up to 2". Perfect.

Just note that they are measured for the conduit size, not actual size.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Yeah, their cost is spare change. Picked up an assortment and will test fit tonight. Got the pop rivet gun ready if I need to thow some chunks of sheet metal on instead.