Re: Which car will win Sears Pointless......

icemang17 wrote:

With a stick is what I meant....  :>)  Since there is no way to beat them in the race!!!!

Eyesore can be beaten- they do get the occasional black flag and/or mechanical glitch, and their car is by no means the quickest of the California contenders. Thing is, you can't make any mistakes once you've got a lap or two on them.

Plus they have been known to run out of gas.....

28 (edited by Eyesoreracing 2010-02-27 06:19 PM)

icemang17 wrote:
trekkor wrote:

What do mean by 'beat'?

KT

With a stick is what I meant....  :>)  Since there is no way to beat them in the race!!!!

Obviously we're going to have to come up with a padded theme so we can withstand this...

-D

MurileeMartin wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

Eyesore can be beaten- they do get the occasional black flag and/or mechanical glitch, and their car is by no means the quickest of the California contenders. Thing is, you can't make any mistakes once you've got a lap or two on them.

Of course we CAN be beaten. We've only won twice and we've raced, what 11 races now? We've been beaten a LOT.

It also helps to remember there were 20 cars in Phoenix. If we beat 20 cars in Sonoma, we'll be in 130th place... Don't get me wrong, we're awesome, but we're not THAT awesome.

-D

Eyesoreracing wrote:

Of course we CAN be beaten. We've only won twice and we've raced, what 11 races now? We've been beaten a LOT.

I don't see any IOE trophies in your collection. Time to start shopping for a Studebaker Lark!

icemang17 wrote:

Whats you prediction?

Tough one. My guess is it's a toss-up between Pandamonium, F'ed Up (aka POSRacing), those crazy California Mille Alfetta guys, and Blanco Basura.

Wait, is Blanco going to field the Crapi instead of the Prelude? Okay, scratch Blanco.

California Mille are pretty much amazing. They've made an Alfetta reliable, and they're not doing parade laps. They drive the living shit out of the thing.

so how many "Z"eros are registered Mr. HANKY wants some company...

hoping we avoid the most heroic fix nominations list this time, but it is Mr Hanky too...

looking forward to the craZiness!!

To me the big question is the weather. If it rains then all bets are off since high-hp stiffly-suspended cars aren't going to have the advantage they normally have. In the wet whoever keeps their nose clean and stays on the track (in both senses of the term) is going to win. Problem is the Miata is a darn good race car in the rain too so Eyesore still has to be the odds-on favorite.

MurileeMartin wrote:
Eyesoreracing wrote:

I don't see any IOE trophies in your collection. Time to start shopping for a Studebaker Lark!

How about a '55 Champion?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1618679173.html

A '56 Power Hawk?

http://twinfalls.craigslist.org/cto/1619487932.html

Or if it has to be a Lark:

http://redding.craigslist.org/cto/1618132644.html

icemang17 wrote:

Eyesore definitely IS the team to beat on the west coast

Keep in mind that their turbo advantage isn't as great at sea level as it is at high altitude. Reno-Fernley sits at, what, 4,500 feet elevation? The Arizona race took place at 1,200 feet- not a huge difference, but forced induction should help a bit.

But really, the ghettocharger is more a theme gimmick than a serious power adder. Eyesore does so well mostly because they drive clean, don't break the car, and work as a team; they need a reasonably quick car to take advantage of these skills, but their Lemons dominance should be attributed more to personnel than to machinery.

MurileeMartin wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

Keep in mind that their turbo advantage isn't as great at sea level as it is at high altitude. Reno-Fernley sits at, what, 4,500 feet elevation? The Arizona race took place at 1,200 feet- not a huge difference, but forced induction should help a bit.

But really, the ghettocharger is more a theme gimmick than a serious power adder. Eyesore does so well mostly because they drive clean, don't break the car, and work as a team; they need a reasonably quick car to take advantage of these skills, but their Lemons dominance should be attributed more to personnel than to machinery.

Having 11 races under their belt helps too!!! 

With a 40-50% chance of rain forecasted for both days....it changes the finishing order quite a bit.....since if the rain is BAD....I would imagine lower powered FWD cars will take more of the top spots.....since the more powerful RWD cars are harder to drive in the rain....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

the rain will be an issue in the Mustang. it is already tail happy, so we are going to have a team meeting about smoothness. acceleration / deceleration, calm on the steering and pedal inputs. We are also all about liberal application of rain-x to the interior and exterior of the window surfaces...

MurileeMartin wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

there is no replacement for displacement. that being said, a turbo or supercharger effectively increases the amount of air the car is ingesting, thereby making it behave like it has a larger engine. the more boost, the more power, the bigger chance of awesome meltdowns to occur.

we will not be doing any power adding scenarios, we will be happy to finish!

djsupersoul wrote:
MurileeMartin wrote:
icemang17 wrote:

there is no replacement for displacement. that being said, a turbo or supercharger effectively increases the amount of air the car is ingesting, thereby making it behave like it has a larger engine. the more boost, the more power, the bigger chance of awesome meltdowns to occur.

we will not be doing any power adding scenarios, we will be happy to finish!

Hmm Eyesore has 1.6L + a low psi turbo....I have 4.7L and over 100hp more than Eyesore...in a car that weighs nearly 1000lbs more.....  I guess I should install the 1.5L roots blower as good measure to assure a high finish...or spectacular meltdown.....both are quite cool!!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

The car with the best windshield wipers will win. I wonder if we can wire our wiper motor to our turbo somehow...

-D

Eyesoreracing wrote:

The car with the best windshield wipers will win. I wonder if we can wire our wiper motor to our turbo somehow...

-D

TURBO WIPERS......thats the ticket to winning!!!! 

I'm lucky the wipers on the estate actually work...but the idea of that massive electrical panel getting wet is NOT FUN

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Given the weather forecast, maybe we should change our entry to this:

http://gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/06/gibbs-aquada-boat-car.jpg

Car-boat FTW!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Since Sears Pointless will feature a Peugeot 505 Turbo and a Citroen DS, I'd just like to remind my fellow Frogs and Frogophiles of what Clemenceau said in 1914:

"A peace resulting from our defeat could only be made over the corpses of all men worthy of the name French."

The more important question is "Who will finish?"

I'm picturing a steaming scrap pile of 150 wet, muddy cars within 15 minutes of the green flag. Prepare to make racing history.

i wish i could find those awesome 80's wipers with the neon blades and winglets "to keep the blade on the glass".

djsupersoul wrote:

i wish i could find those awesome 80's wipers with the neon blades and winglets "to keep the blade on the glass".

Not the Uber-Bitchen ones from the 80's, but these might do the trick. (along with the cool dice air freshener)

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m86/jnbworld804/JNB%20Web/TR09Ex.jpg

No way, it's all about the bitchin' double blades.

http://www.causa.com/store/images/products/large/17804.JPG

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Miatas have a built in downforce airfoil on the wiper arm, another advantage for Eyesore...

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I'm calling it out. 

#3 Snowspeeder Pilots for the win.

We haven't cracked the top 20 since our first 2 races.  Oct 07 Altamont / t-hill. 
We haven't run a race without a cooling problem yet. 
We average 2-3 black flags per race and 2 hrs of mechanical / penalty time.
Our fastest driver, also the man with the tool trailer hurt his back on saturday and won't be there. His tool trailer won't be there either.  Hopefully his black flags will stay away also.

I'm just sure we'll nab 1st place this time around.  Eyesore has nothing on us!*

92HP at the wheels
2350 lb car
The rain will make all the difference!  Right? 

Must go wire van for trailer brake controller now.

-J

*nothing besides: good drivers, better organization, better reliability, engineering skill, better looks, pit procedure, fueling strategy, radios, horse power, lower weight and super hero skillz.

Head Wookie
Snowspeeder Pilots Association
'85 MR2

50 (edited by 1400Laps 2010-03-02 04:48 PM)

Cheetors!

Oh wait that is us.