Topic: Helmets and Nomex

The Rules:
3.4: Driver's Helmet: Undamaged, full-face Type SA helmet, Snell SA2000 or better, mandatory. FIA 8860-2000 certification is acceptable. No open-face helmets allowed, ever, period, finito. Visors must be intact and in place. Type M (in other words, any motorcycle helmets) and other non-SA helmets not allowed. Hybrid helmets are not allowed, regardless of certification. Don't know if your helmet qualifies? Gently peel back the inner padding to find the Type stamp; if it doesn't have an "SA" sticker or stamp, you're boned. Sharing of helmets, fire suits, gloves, etc. is exceedingly gross, but that's no skin off our nose--you're welcome to do it.

But why are K05 helmets with a nomex sock not allowed? Combined they are identical to the SA2005 rating... Just curious.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Re: Helmets and Nomex

Insurance requirements, most assuredly. If the insurance policy says "You can use X or Y only," then you can only permit X or Y. It's not a common-sense thing, it's a CYA thing.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I can not give you a 100% answer for that, you will have to email the officials.

The first and simple answer is those are the rules and are most likely defined by the Insurance Nazis.

A K rated helmet appears to be for Karting.

A SA is Special Application which is what is used for auto racing.  I am not sure why they call it SA.

I believe an SA helmet has better fire protection.

I think M & K helmets are designed more with impacts in mind.

Either way, a more fire retardant helmet is not the same as a less retardant helmet with a Nomex Balaclava. 

I would rather wear a helmet that is not on fire than try to get a burning helmet off before my balaclava went up too.

Many drivers wear Nomex under their helmets in Lemons.  If you have facial hair, it is required.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Mulry wrote:

Insurance requirements, most assuredly. If the insurance policy says "You can use X or Y only," then you can only permit X or Y. It's not a common-sense thing, it's a CYA thing.

Makes sense... sucks but makes sense.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

No, Ricky Bobby, you ain't on fire.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Troy wrote:

I can not give you a 100% answer for that, you will have to email the officials.

The first and simple answer is those are the rules and are most likely defined by the Insurance Nazis.

A K rated helmet appears to be for Karting.

A SA is Special Application which is what is used for auto racing.  I am not sure why they call it SA.

I believe an SA helmet has better fire protection.

I think M & K helmets are designed more with impacts in mind.

Either way, a more fire retardant helmet is not the same as a less retardant helmet with a Nomex Balaclava. 

I would rather wear a helmet that is not on fire than try to get a burning helmet off before my balaclava went up too.

Many drivers wear Nomex under their helmets in Lemons.  If you have facial hair, it is required.

SA and K meet the same impact standards. The only difference (per Snell's website) is that the SA helmets have a NOMEX/Carbon-X Liner. The shell is built identical. The Liner that meets your skin is all that is different. Personally even if we have to get SA helmets for the rest of our team, I will still be sporting a Nomex sock. I like my neck unscarred.

Sons of STIG

The primary purpose/function of our personal safety gear in Lemons is Fire Protection.

So an SA is going to be better than a K.

You may share helmets in Lemons.  No one on my team ever has though.

Chump does not allow shared helmets.

Some tracks rent helmets for DEs.  You may be able to rent one for a race.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Not only is the balaclava safer, it's easier to wash than the helmet liner....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Troy wrote:

I'll share a lot of things, but my helmet ain't one of them.  Even though my HJC AR-10 has a removable-washable liner, I still won't share it.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Troy wrote:

The primary purpose/function of our personal safety gear in Lemons is Fire Protection.

So an SA is going to be better than a K.

Chump does not allow shared helmets.

Some tracks rent helmets for DEs.  You may be able to rent one for a race.

Hrmmm... I took another detailed look. Seems like SNELL flame tests every aspect of the SA helmet and every component has to be self extinguishing. Must be the resins and polymers used.

It's not required for the K...

Still. No way am I going to loan my helmet to anyone. But the baclava is a definate.

We are just searching for another helmet for a team mate with a students wages. We have a K05 sitting around. Oh well.

Sons of STIG

I thought I saw an updated set of rules where the SA2000 has become SA2005 ??

Doug I wrote:

I thought I saw an updated set of rules where the SA2000 has become SA2005 ??

I copied that Rule Set directly off the page this morning... so SA2000 still stands. If not then it needs to be updated.

It will probably change when the SA2010 Helmets go up for sale.

Sons of STIG

my mistake ..... 2000 it is.

Never could find out though if there is an age limit to helmets.

Doug I wrote:

my mistake ..... 2000 it is.

Never could find out though if there is an age limit to helmets.

That is probably why most associations stick to a ten year maximum on the Snell SA approvals.

Sons of STIG

Thanks for that.  When I was racing in NZ we had a 5 year age limit to helmets.  I guess that was allowing for the possible degradation that general wear-n-tear can take on a helmet.