Topic: Finances...

How do you all break up / distribute the costs around your team?

Re: Finances...

We had five guys and split everything including the cost of the car. I kept track of our expenses and everytime a part was needed, we each took turns buying it.

Monday: I buy a spark plug.
Tuesday: You buy a crankshaft.
Wednesday: I buy a gasket.
Thursday: You buy a fuel cell.
Friday: Dang, why did you abandon me by the side of the road?

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

We've got a spread sheet!

Yeah baby!
#47 Impreza:  2009 Lamest Day; 3rd / 2010 Capital Offense; 4th (with a blown head gasket) / 2010 New England something or another; 60 somethingth, f'n wheel bearing / 2010 Lemons Fall South 77th out a 101 - all 10 feet shot off! Then there was Miami...

5 (edited by trekkor 2010-02-26 09:14 PM)

I provide the car, transport to the track, manage the team, build and repair.
I source everything.

The other three drivers throw cash at me!

Something like that...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

trekkor wrote:

I provide the car, transport to the track, manage the team, build and repair.
I source everything.

The other three drivers throw cash at me!

Something like that...

KT

KT

Thats our plan.......works so far...about the only "variable" is the value of labor working on the car.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

the value of labor

minimum wage over here...

I love building cars, though.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

We all work on the car.  Andy stores it, Chris researches (and buys) the best fixes, and I throw money at obvious problems.  Mike ends up contributing in convenient but unexpected ways.

Then Chris makes a spreadsheet and it all works out.  So far, the guys owe me some fairly serious money, but I have enough credit that I don't mind.  And in prior races, I've owed serious money.  It all works out.

In previous races, we've rotated captaincy, chief-payee-in-charge-of-seat, roll-cage captain, etc to keep costs even.  But I have to say, the spreadsheet works the best.  It doesn't judge, it doesn't push, it just makes the obvious obvious.  The main thing is communication.  We might owe money to co-racers from a 2009 race... but we're not sure because 1) we don't know how much the rebuilt engine cost and 2) we paid their entrance fees.  Could #1 outweigh #2? Sure!  Will we ever know?  No.  Not unless they tel us.  Grr!

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

9 (edited by jmitch 2010-02-27 05:18 AM)

I made a spreadsheet and carried a large envelope for receipts. All the drivers knew when they were "behind" and would buy the next part, gas, fees, etc...oh yeah, one driver pretty much ignored the sheet and waited til the last minute to finally catch up. And that was ONE of the things that really pissed me off during our race weekend. I HATE having to ask someone for money!

jmitch wrote:

I made a spreadsheet and carried a large envelope for receipts. All the drivers knew when they were "behind" and would buy the next part, gas, fees, etc...oh yeah, one driver pretty much ignored the sheet and waited til the last minute to finally catch up. And that was ONE of the things that really pissed me off during our race weekend. I HATE having to ask someone for money!

Me too.  Makes me feel dirty for some reason. 

I'm trying to equitably distribute the responsibility and the parties are willing, but it's hard to figure out what people should contribute.  This time we have one person who owns the car, one person who has the shop and does the majority of skilled labor, one guy who's arriving-and-driving...and well let's face it, I'm just the guy with the truck.  It's difficult to place a value on loaning the team the car, the labor that was put in, etc.  I try not to worry about it, but I also don't want to get taken advantage of and this shiz is expensive.

We started out all owning the car, but team members change too frequently.  Now I own the car and we split the parts and expenses per race.  Everyone buys in for a fixed amount (~$1000 combined) and I buy them out if there's a car left after the race.  It's basically a deposit.  Google Docs spreadsheet tracks expenses.  Our total expenses have ranged from $6k to $4k for a race.  We include food and camping, but not personal safety equipment.

There's been a couple of good threads on this topic if you search.  Generally all the good info is on the first couple of pages before the thread gets off track.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

I 've build 3 cars and ran some 7 races.
If you can do a lot of work yourself that saves a lot .

I get $600 a person to race and run 4 drivers .

Your first time you build car get 6 drivers is the most money you'll spend
due to car purchase $500
,roll cage plus seat and harness $1200 
Entry $1200
tires $250
tune up on car and preventative maintenance $200 or less Optional .
brakes and cooling system give that some attetion and change all fluids
fuel for car my 4cyl hondas use 40 gallons for the 2 cars $120
The size matters 69 car used like 140 gallons for a race  OUCH
transport of car there and fuel for race . WHere is track ???

I make all the drivers worry about where to stay un less you can borrow motorhome more fuel
there hitels add upp

If you got to buy Raceing gear that anpther $500 a driver but that there expense so firts race each guy would be in $1100

But second race of car you won't have to shell out the $1200 for cage and safety but other repairs could happen I went 3 races on same brakes and 2 races on one set of tires .

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

As other said, we are keeping spreadsheets to track what we spend on the car and who contributed what.  I will likely run additional events down the road with different teammates so the agreement with our current team is this: Any money that is made from driver's buying in, barring any major repairs, will be split per the percentage of build cost each original teammate contributed.  Granted, that's all good in theory but time will tell if it pans out.  Same deal if we ever sell the car.  Wait a minute, what idiot besides me would want a Mercury Bobcat?
We don't count personal gear, lodging, food, etc. as "team" expenses.  Only the cost of the build, the race entry, gas, and spare parts.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Everyone gives the Financial Czar $500. He then pays you back if you have a receipt. When the money runs out we all kick in another $500. You can only spend money if the Car Czar approves of it. If the Car Czar hasn't approved the purchase of a part - Tough Sh*t. You ain't getting paid.

Richard Newton
http://www.racecars360.com/Intervention … Links.html

Ours is a little less formal than most.  Car is mine, as I bought it.  Most of what we need for the race(fuel jugs, radios, etc) is also mine.  We split costs for the car, and getting it ready.  Myself and one other guy take care of getting it ready, the others are in charge of decorations.  Personal safety equipment is just that, personal.  I shelled out a bunch more than the others, but I will not have to do that again, as most of it was a one time expense.  At the end of the day, I am fine with the arrangement as I got to get in the car, and that's all that matters.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

i own it out right and charge 500 a race for fees and car rental.  All the other guys have to do is show up and race.  take a lot of the stress out of it, which money seems to bring to things.

the Syndicate - 30 losses and counting ...
89 VW Jettarosa - #337 (11 motors later) <> 67 Mercedes 200 - #200, winner "most with the least" MSR Feb 11, IOE at MSR June 11 <> 88 Mercedes 560 SEL <> 76 Mercedes SLC - IOE at ECR March 13 <> now pimping performance parts for 1970-1980's Mercedes SEL, SEC, SL, SLC's

I use a spreadsheet in Google docs so it is viewable by all team members.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Yeah, spreadsheet FTW.
I own the car, everybody has worked on it at some point (helps to have journeymen mechanics on the team).

I get a deposit before the event and divvy up expenses at the end of the race, so far its worked pretty good, of course as car owner I've spent the most but it's ok.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

I own the car and getting the funds from everyone is a pain sometimes ,So I started saying the order of payment gets the drivers order .The relying on others to get parts works for some not in my experience.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

For my cars, I bought them and own them but we split preparation costs evenly, and everyone must have wrench time, significant wrench time.  I already paid for the cages/seats/belts previously, so their still my cars when the race is done. 

We have yet to be able to race a car twice without significant repair work afterwards.  Don't plan on getting 2-3 races from one prep.  If it happens, you got really lucky.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

We have yet to be able to race a car twice without significant repair work afterwards.  Don't plan on getting 2-3 races from one prep.  If it happens, you got really lucky.

It could be your choice of cars I went 3 races before needed anything prior to brakes .The biggest thing was the new theme for race .
The dollar store is a great place for that stuff.

Our team opened a joint checking account.  We all got debit cards.  We all deposit the same amount at the same time. 

Whenever we have a car-related expense (whether it's parts, or gas, or hotel) we use the "car" card.

Therefor everything is ALWAYS 100% even.  No spreadsheets needed.

I've done "shared-expense" projects before, and the accounting needed to make sure everyone is even is a nightmare - when person A bought a part worth X amount, and person B bought a part worth Y amount, and person C bought a part worth Z amount, and  person D bought a part worth W amount, and on and on and on... 

The joint account with equal contributions is the way to go, HIGHLY recommended.

jmitch wrote:

I made a spreadsheet. All the drivers knew when they were "behind" and would buy the next part, gas, fees, etc.

Ditto for us.  We use a Google spreadsheet that gets updated every time someone buys ANYTHING.  We split our cost by four on EVERYTHING.  Every nut, bolt, washer, welding wire, etc gets charged to the spreadsheet and we "settle up" after the event if any one is behind.

In our opinion this is the most fair way to avoid any hard feelings among friends.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

We only split consumables: tires, brake pads, fuel.  Everyone works on the car.  The car is nice for a lemon, so I intend to use it for some HPDEs if it holds out.

I fund the car/build, 3 team members are also my employees, I pay them with trident layers gum and throw in a couple races a year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tviPLpD8VG8

It Ain't My Fault