Re: Finances...

Do you all charge for the "privilege" of driving the car?  After all, the owners have put a lot of money into building what is essentially an expendable product...

The $64,000 question is wrench time and what it's worth.  I've been on plenty of teams where some guys straggle in with little to no wrench time and pay an equal share.  It's never seemed fair, so on my cars now I don't let that happen if possible.  We are all wrenching to some degree or another.  Even in that arrangement, the guys with the most wrench time get to pick their shifts first.  And the caveat to the no wrench time teammates is sometimes at least the costs are spread over more bodies even if the wrench time isn't.  So you might have to have those guys even if they aren't doing their share of the work. 

Just once I would like to buy a ride with minimal wrench time.  LOL  Maybe this fall.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I'm afraid I'm going to have to raise my 'arrive and drive' prices.

I'm doing 95% of the wrenching and still spending my own money.
My goal was to do all the work/transport/management without spending any money.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Yeah wrench time is huge for me.  If everyone was just showing up and driving, I'd definitely charge them.  If you don't pull your weight in prepping for the race, you won't get asked back.  I also do the lineup according to wrench time.  I usually go first because I shelled out the dough, but this last time I let another guy go first because he literally wrenched his ass off (and he's the only welder)

30 (edited by Spinnetti 2010-03-02 09:53 AM)

Lots of good info in this thread. I've run 5 events and witnessed all the usual human behavior in team dynamics, which is why I'm running with a different team this year (even free racing wasn't worth it), plus just built a car of my own (a Lexus LS400, done except for the cage).

I bought it, I built it, I own it. I didn't care if people help on the build, since I'm experienced and fast at it (except I could really use cage theme people!). I've tracked actual cost, so driver cost to walk up is actual fees, transport and fuel costs and "reset" costs - an equal share for the new tires, pads, rotors, oil change etc. needed for the next event, plus a little contingency that if not used (doubtful), that goes towards my initial nearly $4k investment and wear and tear on it. I'd also expect that if it breaks at the track, the rest of the team take point to track down parts and fix it, but the parts cost comes out of the already paid driver fee (unless over $400). Based on my actual costs for this car and its parts, thats $750/driver per event (4 drivers to maximize seat time).

I'd like to get a few other good road racers to run the lex with me this year for at least one event, but haven't formed up an 'official' team yet. I plan to run a track day this month to shake it down and work out the handling, alignment and any mechanical kinks that may pop up, then if a go, I'll get a cage in it (can you tell I'm a planner? wink

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I'm lucky beyond description. I have a good job, as does one of my teammates. I bought the car, he helps cover some of the expenses. We make it clear that drivers are expected to provide their own safety gear and cover their own drivers' fees -- and if they don't want to camp in the mud, they need to find their own accomodations.

Wrenching time? Well, my girlfriend and I are doing most of the mechanical work so far. I'm not about to complain.