Topic: Generally speaking.. chopping the top a good idea?

Is turning a coupe into a convertible with a sawzall worth the weight savings?  or is the bracing required to maintain structural rigidity not worth the weight delta vs how much of a PITA it would be?

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Re: Generally speaking.. chopping the top a good idea?

makes welding the cage easier, makes running in the rain suck.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

No, its not worth it unless ease of cage install or part of the theme. On the other hand, its kinda satisfying to whack the roof off sometimes, so what the F*&^... its Lemons after all smile (remember that rain thing though wink

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

After the cage is welded up, install a homemade camper top and dress like hippies...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Having done it both ways, I think that running without a lid is more of a pain than it's worth. If it rains and you don't have a roof, it sucks. If it's sunny and hot, it sucks. If it's windy (like when you're driving fast), it sucks. You have to wear arm restraints, which really, really suck. But it does feel kind of neat to be open-air like a real race car.

In other words, do it! smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Great views as you cartwheel through the air.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

what car? some cars would need alot of cage and bracing to not willow in the wind