Topic: I have a fuel cell dilemma

I have a 12 gal. cell that I bought to use in another racecar and decided to put it in our Bobcat (Pinto).  It is a foam filled bladder with a metal container and AN fittings.  However, 12 gal is going to require more fuel stops so I'm considering a 22 gal. cell.  I found a RCI plastic cell with foam and AN fittings and my plan would be to build a frame around it using 1" square tubing and then skin the whole thing with 18 or 22 ga sheet steel.  Would this pass tech?  Or do I need to buy a 22 gal cell that is already in it's own metal container?

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Re: I have a fuel cell dilemma

There isn't a hard and fast rule about fuel cells.  The rule of thumb is the poorer quality the cell the better quality the installation needs to be.  I would suggest a call to Nick or Jay to make sure everyone is on the same page.  For what it's worth chump has more strict fuel cell rules.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

Understood.  I can fab up and TIG weld a metal container for it but I thought it would be easier to make a stout frame out of 1" tube.  I have a habit of overbuilding anything out of metal whether it be trailers, cages, or BBQ smokers.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

RCI are general good cells... Even their plastic ones.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

We run the 22 gallon RCI tank in our desert trucks Metal case plstic bladder
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?key … amp;page=2

but if you could make the case aand save yourself $150 from price of plastic .but there is a lot of time to make that and you could be a metal w/ plastic bladder and then spend 1 hour to make 1" angle frame to mount on it . Its all about how much you time is worth .

But if you got a shop with metal brake and steel supplies then make your own I guess.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

If your cell is FIA rated it can be installed almost anywhere as long as you are smart about it.      Non-FIA cells (RCI and any other cell that doesn't have a ballistic rubber bladder inside of a metal can) must be installed very carefully and must have a firewall between the cell and the driver, a complete firewall with NO gaps or holes.  We fail tons of non-FIA cells.    Keep that in mind.   Basically the only FIA cells are ATL and Fuel Safe and they are big bucks.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

7 (edited by RobL 2010-02-28 11:09 AM)

On the topic of failing fuel cells and firewalls...  Can this be defined so that even I can understand it? 

Regular tanks are usually open to the ground.  That is, they are blocked to the driver via the floor but are not blocked to the ground.  If I wanted to relocate a cell to the trunk, I would have the firewall between the trunk, fenders, and the driver.  But then would I be required to run with a complete trunk lid?  IE, can the cell be in a "5 sided box" and long as the open side is not pointed at the driver or a side adjacent to the driver?  (assume a good crash structure surrounding the cell)

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

On the topic of failing fuel cells and firewalls...  Can this be defined so that even I can understand it? 

Regular tanks are usually open to the ground.  That is, they are blocked to the driver via the floor but are not blocked to the ground.  If I wanted to relocate a cell to the trunk, I would have the firewall between the trunk, fenders, and the driver.  But then would I be required to run with a complete trunk lid?  IE, can the cell be in a "5 sided box" and long as the open side is not pointed at the driver or a side adjacent to the driver?  (assume a good crash structure surrounding the cell)

- I  can't give you a definite answer, each fuel cell installation is judged on its quality of installation.  But simply, yes, open to the ground is ok, as long as there is serious protection between the cell and the ground, I.E: nothing between the plastic cell and the ground- instant fail.   Fully boxed cell (metal) safely mounted AND a firewall between the metal box and the driver- probable pass.      I really like to see a nice cage around the cell, angle iron is ok, but I'd prefer to see a square tube framework...       Quality, quality, quality.  Do a good job of it, I see crappy welds on a cell mount and I'll make you do it over, a fractured weld in an accident is likely to puncture the cell..         The bar is high on fuel systems.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

We have two different style cells int he 240Zs.

Mine is 12 gallon plastic foam filled RCI drag style.  I made a metal holder for it.  The hatch is framed in in box tubing to hole the cell in.  All this has a metal cover over it in the hatch.

The fuel lines run in and out of the bottom of the cell which puts them under the car on the outside.  The vent line has a roll over valve with the hose covered in conduit vented to the old filler neck area.

On the second car we used a 22 gallon circle track style bladder in a can with foam fuel cell.  That way we didn't have to make a whole can/holder again.

This one required adding an additional line for the fuel return.  All the lines came out of the top center of the can.

We framed in the back in box tubing to hold the cell in place than made a metal cover to go over the whole thing with an access door like mine.

We went through tech, the inspector was not initially fond of the cell in the second car.  Stating the access door was not fuel tight.  I think had we said more it may have gone better.  I don't think he realized it was a foam filled bladder cell the roll over valves as well.  That one was not my car so I did not say much during tech.

In the end Jay looked it over, we added a bit of metal tape along a the seem between the cell floor and the cover and foam on the edges of the access lid.

On my the same tech guy the access door saw a plastic RCI cell under a metal cover and was fine with it.

Both were installed more or less the same way and the first one had more layers of metal plus stainless lines and he did not like it. 

So I think a receipt showing what you have plus some explaining may help.

Like Evil Genius said FIA approved cells are seriously pricey, like $800.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Open to the ground is a must IMO.....you want to drain any fuel sloshing around in there and you want someone to notice the leak before the vapours hit the flash point....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

A couple more questions:

The rules say, "All aftermarket fuel components must use threaded fittings and appropriate hose types, and must include all appropriate racecar-quality vents, valves, and other safety features.

If my inline fuel pump comes with hose barb fittings, can I use it?  I assume that it is engineered to be used with those fittings.

Can I fab my fuel lines from steel tube instead of using braided hose?

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again