Topic: Nonskid coating inside on floorpans?

Is this a BAD idea? I'm thinking a truck bed liner brush or roll on coating to help seal pinholes and to make it easier to get it/out if it gets wet (rain).

My main worry with it is flammability. I don't want to do something that will be likely to act as an accelerant, and don't know the volatility of truck bed coatings.

Re: Nonskid coating inside on floorpans?

Check with the manufacturer of the liner.

Are you really planning of bailing that fast that you need non skid surfaces?
As far as pin holes, you may want the ventilation in the summer.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Line-X is certified for use by the MSHA, which means its flammability is very low. And it would make sense, since it's actually flame retardant, unlike pretty much everything else in a race car...

http://www.1888pressrelease.com/line-x- … 12073.html

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

i agree with using some non-skid liner. I probably wouldn't coat the entire floorpan though. Just limit it to the areas you plan on climbing around and you should be fine. first race we did in our CVPI we put little shower-pads in the passenger well of the car... yay little duckies!  Unfortunately the exhaust produced so much heat to the floorpan the adhesive failed on them sad

Serj wrote:

i agree with using some non-skid liner. I probably wouldn't coat the entire floorpan though. Just limit it to the areas you plan on climbing around and you should be fine. first race we did in our CVPI we put little shower-pads in the passenger well of the car... yay little duckies!  Unfortunately the exhaust produced so much heat to the floorpan the adhesive failed on them sad

Please, please tell me you have pictures of this and are willing to post them.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

doctawife wrote:
Serj wrote:

Please, please tell me you have pictures of this and are willing to post them.

sorry; it seems like they've disappeared from the net. I didn't take the pics myself and those who did I am no longer in contact with. Nothing special really, didn't take long for them to become unglued either but amusing while it lasted!

We rivet in a square of diamond plate aluminum under the pedals, it allows your shoes some traction on the floor and doesn't abrade them..   I don't like adding anything flammable to the car.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

As I posted above, fully-cured bedliner materials are flame-retardant and therefore adding one would not be "adding anything flammable to the car."

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Grip tape. You know, that sticky stuff for making metal ladder rungs non-slippery. You can find it at any place that sells generic industrial safety stuff, or at your local skate board shop.

When my stock rubber pedal covers wore out in my RX-7 I got some scraps of the stuff from work and covered my pedals with it. The stuff works great and lasts several years in a daily driver. It's also pretty weatherproof.

grip tape is a good idea.....the floorboards in the Estate get VERY slippery when it is wet...which looks likely this weekend!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

EriktheAwful wrote:

Grip tape. You know, that sticky stuff for making metal ladder rungs non-slippery. You can find it at any place that sells generic industrial safety stuff, or at your local skate board shop.

When my stock rubber pedal covers wore out in my RX-7 I got some scraps of the stuff from work and covered my pedals with it. The stuff works great and lasts several years in a daily driver. It's also pretty weatherproof.

I did the exact same thing in our RX-7, the girl at the shop had a scrap that wasn't large enough to do an entire board, so she gave it up for free!  I still have a foot and a half left haha

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)

EriktheAwful wrote:

We've used it since the car was built and it has held up really well.  It really helps keep your heel in place when you're working the pedals. 

It is cheap, easy to install and it works.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

get grip-tape from your local skateboard shop, it will stick better to the floor, and your shoes... that is our plan