Topic: Honda Reliability Tips?

We're building a 1989 Honda CRX Si for one of the Great Lakes area (Chicago or Detroit) fall races and I've come to understand that the Honda 4-banger is unraceable due to weak head gaskets and rods.  Since we've already committed to this thing what can be done to mitigate these weaknesses?  JB weld the head to the block?  Weld angle iron to the rods? Replace stock radiator with stolen HMMWV parts?  Toss the engine and replace with a Pinto 2.3?

I looked around and didn't see any suggestions other than a big radiator and fan.

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Honda Reliability Tips?

Throw some metal shavings in the oil filler tube. Lube your front suspension, but put plenty of sand in the new grease. Splice every electrical wire in the car with a crimp connector.
Now you'll be on par with the British cars.

good head gasket and strong studs like APR
I wish I could do those things, but my 96 GSR is already too cheaty, so I'm just gonna have to blow my head gasket on day two

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

extra head gaskets...& get really fast at changing them

Rod stress is directly related to RPM.....so you need to find the best compromise between HP-RPM-engine life....

For example..our 928 has well known oil starvation issues....especially at higher RPM's....our solution....LUG THE ENGINE....redline is 6200rpm...we NEVER go over 5500 & never about 3500 in the turns....granted that is easier to do with a V8 than a CRX..but you get the idea....

making the car super light is always a good idea too

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I suggest putting in an oil cooler. We picked up an RX-7 cooler for just $5 and spent maybe another $40 on an adaptor and hoses and IMHO it was well worth it for the extra edge in reliability it gives.

Get this stuff - steelseal. I used it to fix a 2.4 Chrysler Sebring with a bad head gasket.

^^^ I've used that stuff at the race before.  It got us another couple of hours out of the car but I wouldn't use it on a car that had a bad gasket BEFORE the race.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

8 (edited by VKZ24 2010-03-01 06:21 AM)

ShadowSix wrote:

We're building a 1989 Honda CRX Si for one of the Great Lakes area (Chicago or Detroit) fall races and I've come to understand that the Honda 4-banger is unraceable due to weak head gaskets and rods.

Our 1989 Prelude with 240,000+ on the clock finished 5th at the last CMP race.  Yep, Hondas suck.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Unracable is an overstatement.  Hondas run in the middle of the pack for reliability per Murilee: http://jalopnik.com/5450420/results-of- … 00-beaters

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

st_rage wrote:

Unracable is an overstatement.  Hondas run in the middle of the pack for reliability per Murilee: http://jalopnik.com/5450420/results-of- … 00-beaters

How many cars blow head gaskets w/o first overheating?  Overheating = warped head = blown head gasket.  Sure there are other factors involved, but generally speaking overheating is the biggest one.

FWIW, in 95F+ degree heat at CMP last fall our Honda never ran over 195F.  On the caution laps it was actually running like 175F...w/o the fans.

Moral of the story: Make sure your cooling system is up to the task and your Honda will last a lot longer.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:
st_rage wrote:

How many cars blow head gaskets w/o first overheating?  Overheating = warped head = blown head gasket.  Sure there are other factors involved, but generally speaking overheating is the biggest one.

FWIW, in 95F+ degree heat at CMP last fall our Honda never ran over 195F.  On the caution laps it was actually running like 175F...w/o the fans.

Moral of the story: Make sure your cooling system is up to the task and your Honda will last a lot longer.

+1
Our first race with a SHO was a disaster. The guys said before the race, be careful the water temp runs a little high. What? The radiator isn't new? No.........30 minutes of racing the temp was in the red blowing water on the windsheild. 6 hours of running hot later the engine siezed. And so began the marathon engine swap Saturday night.

You don't need an oil cooler so long as you don't run horse piss for oil.

Keep the car cool by letting her breathe

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/VKZ24/P1010642.jpg

Keep the revs down to a reasonable point (don't beat on the limiter) and take your radiator to a shop and have them clean it for $5

We have 1,400+ TRACK miles on our Prelude (which has a HORRIBLE reputation of being a POS, especially the motor) and cooling has never been a problem.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

We have a ghetto Evo hood vent similar to yours too.

sergio wrote:

We have a ghetto Evo hood vent similar to yours too.

$7 at Lowe's Racing Supply smile

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/VKZ24/P1010626.jpg

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

Is that what Jimmy Johnson uses?

running good oil is ALWAYS a good idea.....an NO mobil one is NOT good oil

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

What, Kendall is better?!? Or some $12/qt synthetic concoction?
We're happily running 10/50 Syntec at the moment- heck, we did 2 races between changes...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

Kielbasa Kids have a win with a Civic sedan.....a CRX can be a contender

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

A honda is Never an underdog... too reliable actually.... Now about those british cars....

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I've got 2 hondas we race 89 crx and 88 4dr civic .
the 4dr has 7 races on it witha 6th place finish .motor died first race so I put a D16z6 and raced 6 races w/o engine issues revving at 6000 all the time .I run AMSOIL in motor and trans .
Th crx had 300k on it and finally after 4 races the d15 with dpfi added a new hole in block for oil drainage . We found anothe D16z6 and its first race will be SEARS POINTLESS it was super fast track times before with 90 hp so the 125 should help out a bit .

Here is the way I have kept mine together  go to parts store or wrecking yard and get a 89-91 acura integra radiator from an automatic with a/c its a 2 row take cap off and look inside you can see the 2 rows. bolts right in car . Also throw extra fan on front opposite side of stock one and no more heat issues with my cars .

Another weak link is the clutch try not to down shift to slow down use the brakes . 92-98 rear discs off integras and civics bolt on the whole trrailing arm.before installing those change the center bushing to Energy suspension Poly and never have to worry . Also go to wrecking yard and get a few of the little upper control ar that is like 8 inch long  any little hit will bend them .

For suspension CRX don't need rear sway bars as long as its low buy a cheap set of Ebay Coilovers and throw those in car and your dialed .

As for tires get 14" steelies with the Falken Azenis 615  195/60r 14  don't go with real low pro tires like 17 with 40 they are heavy and compared to 14  and sidewall don't like off course excursions.

Give me a call I'm in Ca. 8am-8pm 925-382-1058 we can BS some more.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Unraceable???  Where'd that come from?

The D16 motor that originally came with the 1989 CRX Si has proven to be a pretty stought motor.  Just ask the SCCA ITA and NASA H4 guys who race CRX Sis with the stock D16.

Racing a Honda product is sort of an all-or-nothing gamble. If it breaks, it will most likely be something that takes a long time to fix. If it doesn't break, it will be pretty fun to drive.

That is true... Honda's only know Catastrophic Failure... I know this personally.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Wow, thanks to everyone for the awesome response!  Now I just have to talk my teammates into some of this stuff.

"Unraceable" was a bit of hyperbole on my part.  Plus I'm pretty sure it's not a word.  But there is a mention on the links page of CRX's being unable to finish the race and Judge Phil/Murilee put them on the list of over-rated Lemons cars.

For my part I wanted to get a fox-body LTD II and get as cheaty as possible with a junkyard 302 but no one ever listens to my dark machinations.

st_rage wrote:

^^^ I've used that stuff at the race before.  It got us another couple of hours out of the car but I wouldn't use it on a car that had a bad gasket BEFORE the race.

So when our Honda head gasket appeared to be going out this past Friday we scrambled and changed the gasket that night.  Twice.  Neither time worked so we threw a hail Mary and poured in radiator stop leak.  That worked... (cracked head??)